What are your "red lines" foods and why?

Options

Replies

• alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Candy....this time of year its those deliciously sinful little pumpkins. During Christmas its fudge! I think I'll just lock myself in a closet this year & any fuge received from others will be immediately re-gifted to the new neighbors! They'll think I'm the best neighbor EVER!
  • MandaJean83
    MandaJean83 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My redline foods are:

1) Chips and salsa (when eating at a mexican restaurant...I over-indulge EVERY damn time)
    2) Ice Cream from a carton (hard to put down and stop!)
    3) French Fries (which is why I order a kid's size when I go to McD's)
    4) Fun Size Chocolate Bars (Mmmm..SNICKERS!!)
  • bugaha1
    bugaha1 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I can't have chips and salsa/dips in the house.
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Pizza for me! I eat it (as long as it fits into my calories for the day) but I gain 2 pounds every stinking time I eat it!!! WHY DO I DO IT?!?!?! :huh:

Pizza for me as well, I was born with a slice in my hand. I too squeeze it into my calorie count. I always feel like I have gained after eating it and as of late I can really feel a difference in my restroom abilities. So unfortunately it is time for me to really make an effort to further limit my pizza intake.
  • kmmpink
    kmmpink Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Alcohol- if I drink to much that is a lot of calories already, considering one of the only alcoholic drinks I like are around 250 calories per 12 ounces. Then the next day when I'm hung over all I want is greasy food. And exercise, well that's just out of the question. It usually takes me about a week to get back on track after a good night out. :/
    The other is chips- As a kid, My uncle worked for a huge chip company and we always got boxes and boxes of chips from him, no big deal when I was the young "skinny" kid. Now, I always crave them. Not good!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    i'm on maintenance, so i have a little of everything from time to time, and i work it off with exercise. however, there are a few calorie dense foods that i don't have anymore because they just simply aren't filling enough to warrant the caloric expense.

a few that come to mind :

milkshakes. i have always loved them, but for 500+ calories, they aren't worth it.

chips and french onion dip : when i was heavy, it was a common occurrence for me to eat an entire small tub of dip with most of a bag of chips in a couple sittings. if i had just a serving, it would take about two minutes to eat it, and the caloric expense would still be significant.

cookies and milk : most of a sleeve of chips ahoy or oreos and as much milk as i could chug? it was fun, but not worth the weight i gained and then had to lose.

cereal : though i think i could control myself now, back in the day, a bowl of cereal meant at least three servings. the anemic recommended serving size is a joke, and i'm not in a laughing mood.

foods i've brought back in to my seldom / occasional menu :

real pizza : probably twice a year; two slices
    cheeseburgers / fries : dinner on some Saturdays when i've burned a lot of calories
    family dinners : a few times a year; my birthday, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Easter, usually. generally turns out to rack up about 1,700 calories, but i eat little else on those days, and i exercise enough on those days that i'm still far below my calorie limit.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    When my husband drinks beer he bloats like a balloon, gains weight immediately (and keeps it on - it's not just water), and has problems with diverticulitis. It only takes one beer. Other types of alcohol are fine.

He loves beer. We're homebrewers. It's his favorite 'food'. And it's really bad for him.
  • LavaDoll
    LavaDoll Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Cracker Barrel Macaroni & Cheese.

...omg...so damn yummy. freshly made, home-cooked appeal, melty, golden brown on top, comfort food deliciousness.

the side serving has about 437 calories to it, and calories from fat are around 234.

i could *easily* make a single meal out of 3-sides, please.
    but that is more calories than i should eat in an entire day. and all that fat? oh, please, gag me now.

For now, I cannot even *think* about that tempting demon which is the Cracker Barrel Macaroni & Cheese.

One day, though...I shall prevail.
  • SavageFeast
    SavageFeast Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Meat.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    Cracker Barrel Macaroni & Cheese.

...omg...so damn yummy. freshly made, home-cooked appeal, melty, golden brown on top, comfort food deliciousness.

the side serving has about 437 calories to it, and calories from fat are around 234.

i could *easily* make a single meal out of 3-sides, please. but that is more calories than i should eat in an entire day.

For now, I cannot even *think* about that tempting demon which is the Cracker Barrel Macaroni & Cheese.

One day, though...I shall prevail.

Oh my goodness, I get so irritated about the calorie count in Cracker Barrel mac and cheese. The one time I did decide to dive in, I told myself "this is just a dream it really doesn't have 400+, there's just no way." lol. I really felt down afterwards, but it was good while it lasted.
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me it is any restaurant pizza as I can't stop at one or two slices. Homemade Pizza is fine though as I use a smaller base and can create my own pizza for 300 calories.

I am also addicted to M&M's and Krispy Kreme Doughnuts. I can stop at a handful of m&m's or 1 doughnut but it usually creates a feeling of wanting more junk food. Unfortunately whenever there is a birthday at work, these are the two favourites that are always present. Oh and Pringles! Can't stop at just one.
  • RandomMiranda
    Options
    Mexican or Chinese restaurants. I can go, but I have to plan ahead, meaning I have to be way under calories most of the week so enchiladas or sesame chicken don't throw off my weekly average. It just doesn't work for me to try to make "good" choices at these places, so I only go if I can make my favorites fit my goals.
  • smittybuilt19
    Options
    In my previous post I kept spelling doughnuts as donuts, I feel like a tool.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    french fries, pizza, chips/crackers, CHEESE, omg cheese
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for you to get the inevitable "eat whatever you want in moderation!" responses from people who can't define what "moderation" is

Pasta is like cocaine for me, once I start I can't stop. Every few months, I'll eat it at a restaurant where even if the portion size is pretty large it's still finite, but if I have a box of it in the house I'm done.
  • trobbin88
    trobbin88 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's the sweets for me....chocolate in particular. I can turn my head at fries, wings, pizza, etc. But those sweet yummies are my weakness and can throw me back into weight gain big time.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I can't have chips and salsa/dips in the house.

THIS!!! One serving of chips and salsa turn into the entire jar and most of the bag.....sigh.
  • kristen6022
    kristen6022 Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    French Fries and Soda.

And anything fried. I just trying and avoid these things in general...
  • Donna6017
    Donna6017 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Brownies and homemade chocolate chip cookies. Mmmmmmmm.......
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You defined "red line" foods as the foods you eat that tell you you've given up on your weight loss pursuit.

For me, that is soda.

I've drank soda ever since my marriage started seven years ago. It was new to me (no exposure as a kid). My husband drinks several cups of soda every single day, and I don't drink any (now). When I start sneaking sips out of his cup all day, I know that I have some serious re-evaluating to do.