Secrets of thin people...

Options

Replies

• HeavyLiftGirl
    HeavyLiftGirl Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Interesting read.

However-- I have found that most thin people have fat parents, and don't want to look like them, so they work their *kitten* off to stay fit.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    I think this is an interesting article and I also find it interesting how people are sure their individual experience is more valid than any research.

My personal experience of the (very) thin people at work is that they all work very consciously at it. They monitor portions or have banned certain foods and I've seen one has behaviours I would associate with EDs, such as pushing food around the plate without eating it, despite filling her plate. They are all very active too, deeply involved in some sport or outdoor activity. So the sample I have the most detailed knowledge about fits the descriptions very well.

I feel sorry that this thread was taken off topic as soon as it was posted. I'm a fuss pot when it comes to definitions, but this wasn't what happened here. To dismiss advice because you object to one word, which has positive connotations for the majority of the population reading it, is just trying to cause trouble.
  • moounir
    moounir Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I like the fact that even thin peoples are on diet because they gain some "extra" weight. So we are similar.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Damn, there are some argumentative pedantic people here!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You really can't generalize.
  • kariinbliss
    Options
    UNBELIEVEABLE how some people get all butt sore over a stinkin article! Looking at the "secrets", there isn't a single ONE that you could argue with as a bad idea. So get over the need to dissect every word, and look at the IDEA of the article. I think so many people who are struggling with weight (or have) get caught up in doing everything BY THE LETTER. No wonder we all "fail" at losing weight. Don't be so damned literal! Take these ideas and run with it! Is it going to hurt to have a little common sense reminder of little things we can all do to work toward a healthy weight? Nope. And for those of you who insist on being snarky, get a flippin life. Be supportive or hush.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Thanks. This was interesting. I can kind of see why I got off track this past month. I haven't made my own health a priority. (I know there is more from here I can and should be doing, but THAT one will be a HUGE step!)
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I would say I'm thin AND badass. They're not mutually exclusive. Thin, fit, badass, and oh yeah...I EAT...for the win!

How did this turn to be about you?

well your earlier posts seemed rather confrontational --turned into being about me as a result of this little exchange...

YOU: I hate the words "thin people"..like WTF does that even mean. Thin is not always healthy. And healthy is not always thin..

ME: I don't think anyone made the claim that thin = healthy. Regardless of your view on it, people DO aspire to be thin. As in--lacking in excessive fat--I know I sure as hell do.

YOU: Well, people are wrong !

I clearly said that I aspire to be thin--you said "people are wrong" which included ME. Need I explain further?

You did not write the original post, did you? ( I hope not).. I dont think using "thin people" term helps anybody and it does not even mean anything ( at least to me)..I would hate to classify myself as thin. Just sayin

I gave a link to the article--I did not write it --I don't think that THIN is a meaningless term though. It is illustrative of the desire to have a body without excessive fat. Not everyone has fitness goals--I do but not everyone does--in any case, I thought the message was sound and included good information. I don't see why you're antagonizing me over posting it. Or at least it seems as though you are.

Everybody that is on this site has a fitness goal ( well not the creeps that are here just for boobie friday lol).

I think it does not help anybody if we classify people are thin or fat. Weight loss and working out is way more than being thin.

I am not antagonizing you, because you did not write the post. I was just saying that I hate the fact that the world classify people as thin or fat....Wanna kiss and make up now?
    :flowerforyou:

WOW...Love4 fitness didn't even write this article. I am not sure what is going on here. The study is the study. Don't kill the messenger! Thanks for sharing Love4fitness. Hope you don't regret it.
  • dena789
    dena789 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Wow - this post thread has really gotten off topic with all the snarky comments!

So - subsitute the word "healthy" for 'thin" and let's go from there. Secrets of Heathy People

1- favor bulky foods - like salads that you can eat a lot of it without a lot of calories
    2- watch portion sizes
    3- take care of yourself - sometimes that will mean putting yourself first
    4- it's only 30% genetic
    5- don't skip meals
    6- limit options - the more types of food that are available (for a meal the more we'll eat - i.e. stay away from buffets!
    7- live in Colorado - they seem to prioritize health and fitness
    8- don't sit still - move more!
    9- don't skip breakfast (oh no - I can hear it coming.....)
    10- enjoy your food
    11- practice early intervention - take action when the scale starts creeping up, don't wait until tht OMG moment
    12 - do what works for you - integrate good habits into your lifestyle

It all makes sense to me. Yes, even the "don't skip breaksfast" one.

Very well put!!
  • LeggyAmericanGirl
    LeggyAmericanGirl Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    There are positive role models like Love that motivate you with information and compassion and acceptance. Then there are ignorant closed minded idiots like FCB. Haters keep hating.

Thank you for again Love for being such a strong intelligent role model. You stand up for yourself and others without backing down. I am truly blessed to be your friend. You have impacted my life in so many positive ways.

You can either use your life to help others (like love) or you can cause chaos and drama like the people that turned this into a THIN hating posting.

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE WORD THIN.

Wow the maturity level of some posters cracks me up!!!
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    You just have to love yourself and everything you listen follows on its own accord
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    You just have to love yourself and everything you listed follows on its own accord
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    There is a thin person inside of me. Because I ate her.
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Wow - this post thread has really gotten off topic with all the snarky comments!

So - subsitute the word "healthy" for 'thin" and let's go from there. Secrets of Heathy People

1- favor bulky foods - like salads that you can eat a lot of it without a lot of calories
    2- watch portion sizes
    3- take care of yourself - sometimes that will mean putting yourself first
    4- it's only 30% genetic
    5- don't skip meals
    6- limit options - the more types of food that are available (for a meal the more we'll eat - i.e. stay away from buffets!
    7- live in Colorado - they seem to prioritize health and fitness
    8- don't sit still - move more!
    9- don't skip breakfast (oh no - I can hear it coming.....)
    10- enjoy your food
    11- practice early intervention - take action when the scale starts creeping up, don't wait until tht OMG moment
    12 - do what works for you - integrate good habits into your lifestyle

It all makes sense to me. Yes, even the "don't skip breaksfast" one.

Love the post and the summary. Definitely will keep handy as a visual reminder when I feel tempted to indulge...
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    It's a lot easier to say "thin" than to clarify, "Healthy people who do not have excessive body fat."
  • marie_25m
    marie_25m Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. people...relax, its just a word.
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    I guess....

When I was naturally underweight in high school, I ate whatever I wanted, and LOATHED salad or any kind of vegetable. I also would go some days without eating until 5pm, so I would skip meals all of the time. I also hated most foods, aside from junk basically....

I do agree with the fact that I'm very conscious about gaining weight now that I do. I have never gained more than 13 pounds, because once I can't fit into my current clothes, I go on a diet until I do. I'm a bit too self critical and pedantic to ever let it get beyond that
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    People complaining about the word "thin"...if someone calls you thin are you going to freak out on them outside these message boards???

Oh you'll say "thank you" and do a little curtsy?...That's what I thought.

Carry on.

Some of these secrets seem legit...I honestly think the word "breakfast" is relative since my lunch is technically the first meal in my day....so doesn't that make it breakfast?
  • Ghette
    Ghette Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    popcorn.gif
    ok pass the popcorn I'm here for the show:happy:
  • kmarie0614
    kmarie0614 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Holy hell people... this wasn't even offensive. What is going on with some of you. Obviously someone didn't get their endorphin high today. If you did you wouldn't be arguing over the word thin... build a bridge and gtf over it. Do something better with your life than argue over a post.

If you don't agree and have to make sure the world knows your opinion, there are better and more intelligent ways of stating it. You sound much more educated when you argue with facts and evidence.