Slander, Libel & Privacy 101

Options
12346»

Replies

• GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I took a Constitutional Law class last year and we briefly discussed libel and whatnot. I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that libel is only something that the press can do. I know there was something that it is impossible for a private citizen to do to another private citizen... I would check my notes or my books but they're not here. :smile:
    Um, no. You're probably thinking of the provisions associated with "publication." The Internet shot that whole notion all to hell. ;)
  • spiregrain
    spiregrain Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Yes! See "Wilde, Oscar: Biography."

You are a big nerd. I like it.
  • KinzieElise
    KinzieElise Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I took a Constitutional Law class last year and we briefly discussed libel and whatnot. I seem to recall (correct me if I'm wrong) that libel is only something that the press can do. I know there was something that it is impossible for a private citizen to do to another private citizen... I would check my notes or my books but they're not here. :smile:
    Um, no. You're probably thinking of the provisions associated with "publication." The Internet shot that whole notion all to hell. ;)

I lied. Turns out I typed my notes for studying purposes. I was thinking of the Times Standard established in New York Times v Sullivan (1964) which was expanded a couple times but the expansion I was thinking of was Gertz v Robert Welch Inc (1974) when they decided that private citizens get more protection from libel by the press since, unlike public officials and figures, they don't have easy access to the media to defend themselves. Really, because the media was involved it seems like an entirely different topic altogether.
  • vice350z
    vice350z Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    if people are getting butthurt over what someone's doing on a forum...then they shouldn't be on a forum to start with.
  • Machdude
    Machdude Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings is "words means things". Thank you for an excellent post.
  • georgedarling
    georgedarling Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you Gorilla!
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I know how to make pine cone bird feeders.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I know how to make pine cone bird feeders.
    When the Zombie Apocalypse comes, you shall be king....or queen... whatever... clicking to check takes too much effort.