Some people...

Options

Replies

• Erica0718
    Erica0718 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Why do you need a name to give change for legal tender?

In case it's a fake 100

You don't have the little pen to write on it and check? Seriously you are a bank. If you can't tell that, we're in trouble.

I also work in the banking industry and the "little pen" you are refering to does not always help you determine if the bill is valid. Criminals are now able to take smaller bills, wash the ink off and re-print larger bills on that same bill. Therefore these people can take a $1 and turn it into $100.00 . Besides the reason the OP asked for the name was to record the transaction in case the person came back and said they were shorted money. The "we're in trouble" comment was obviously due to you ASSuming too much :smile:
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

You don't have the little pen to write on it and check? Seriously you are a bank. If you can't tell that, we're in trouble.

Good grief...

I think the point is that those are the rules her company has set and she has to abide by them. There's no reason for people to be terrible to her about it. You can ask why she's doing something a certain way without being evil, like that lady was.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I would leave the house more if it weren't always so people outside...
  • ElyseL1
    ElyseL1 Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    My feelings are completely different on this one. I have been a retail supervisor and had to do my best for difficult customer. Hell I worked in a rich area and had to listen to someone tell me I was poor so I didnt know how the world should work. Now however, because of me having "done my time" as i like to put it, I know when an employee is just being a lazy #### and giving me a hard time. I cannot tolerate rude employees that dont know their own policies, cant count change, take to long to do a simple task, or give me attitude (just because they dont feel like being at work). I will waste abt three minutes of my time and then you better go get your supervisor.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't customer service, but I get to deal with people at the games. And while I have been fortunate that I have not had a coach tell me to eff off after their team has lost, I have a couple of times where the coaches have run away from me because they aren't up to talking. I always tell them, "if you don't want to comment thats fine, but i really don't want to put in the article that you refused to speak." and ultimately they talk, even if its very little for me to go on, i still got a quote.

For those wondering what my job is: I'm a sports correspondent for my local newspaper, so I get shipped to games and take stats, watch the game (i do a lot of research on the teams beforehand), interview the coaches, drive, and write the articles get them by deadline of 11:30.
  • gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain.. I have been in just about every fathomable retail job that "entitles" people to treat you like crap.. Car sales, computer repair in a retail store (imagine a woman telling a man how to fix his computer.. doesn't always go over well!), telemarketing, call center (I guess it doesn't matter whether you're the one calling or picking up, people hate you anyway!)... what scared me about retail was learning just how many people behave the exact way that woman in your teller line did.

One of my favorites was when I got a call from a potential customer while working at the Cadillac dealership who said to me, after telling him the price listed was non-negotiable, "Are you listening to me missy? You're going to shut your mouth. Stand up. Walk over to your sales manager's desk. And tell him I'm paying 40k for that Camaro and no more. Do you understand me? Can you hear me little girl? Are you capable of following directions?" The sales manager told him where to put it and said he wouldn't touch his money if his life depended on it. Ha!

I would have then sarcastically started talking like a little girl and told him I can't understand his big words. Then have the manager deal with it ...
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I firmly believe that it is people like that who have never worked a day of customer service in thier life. They do not understand how the policies work. You cannot jeopardize your job just because someone thinks the policy or procedure is stupid. Good on you for keeping your cool!
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    I feel like if you work in customer service, this is to be expected. Why are you so surprised?
    Because my mother raised me better than that and I am raising my child better than that and I would hope that other people's parents would have put in the same effort

You just made my day :flowerforyou: I work with Monica and I also work another retail job part-time. And I have never understood this sort of behavior.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    I feel like if you work in customer service, this is to be expected. Why are you so surprised?
    Because my mother raised me better than that and I am raising my child better than that and I would hope that other people's parents would have put in the same effort

That's awesome, and I agree. However, you have to remember that everyone did not have the same upbringing as you. We don't live in a perfect world.
  • JSheehy1965
    Options
    I also work in an insurance agency like BlisterLamb and am constantly screamed at. It's my job to call customers if they are late on their payments. The insurance company sends a bill, the insurance company sends a warning of cancellation, the insurance company calls the customer when they're late, and THEN I call the customer a couple of days before they are due to cancel. And, yet, for them, it's MY fault that their policy cancelled for non-payment and, in NY State, can result in fines from DMV and/or registration/license suspension.

Happy days.... :flowerforyou:
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

That's awesome, and I agree. However, you have to remember that everyone did not have the same upbringing as you. We don't live in a perfect world.
    That is true but I believe that the world we live in is created by our own doing and we still have the power to make it a better place. I was also believe that it is our responsibilty to leave a place we have been better off than when we first arrived, so I will be extra nice to the mean customers and sometimes even ask them if they are okay if I know it isn't their normal behavior because we all have our bad days and need to know someone cares
  • 4x4play
    4x4play Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    For everyone that thinks it's crazy to get personal information just to exchange currency, well let me tell you that some banks don't do anything for non-customers. There are many reasons behind why banks chose to have those policies in place. So it's not uncommon to get customer's information even for the smallest transaction.

And if they are not asking you for any kind of information, maybe they already know you're a customer!
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    You guys made my mood go up 100%. I'm sorry to hear about all of your guy's sucky situations at work. Working in customer service for my whole career makes me be extra nice to other people while they are working in customer service. I know that things like this are to be expected in customer service, and that you are going to have to deal with nasty people. I will 99.99% of the time keep a smile on my face while dealing with them, but I can't help but be pissed on the inside. Just because there are a lot of rude people out in the world doesn't make it okay in my book for them to be rude. Yes, I know some people are having a bad day and taking it out on me, at the same time it's not the case for everyone. I don't let it ruin my day, it's just when people are like this to you everyday sometimes you just gotta vent to calm yourself down! :flowerforyou:
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

I think the point is that those are the rules her company has set and she has to abide by them. There's no reason for people to be terrible to her about it. You can ask why she's doing something a certain way without being evil, like that lady was.

It's an ignorant policy. If they are concerned about somebody questioning a transaction later, give the woman a receipt with an identifying number on it (probably happens already). If she doesn't have it, she has no recourse. Honestly there is no reason for a bank, or any other establishment, to get a name to do a legal money transaction with cash (unless it is large sums that fall under regulation). Certainly the woman could have questioned it logically - but the teller should be questioning it logically too. The rote 'it's our policy' response is bs. She is responsible for the policy that makes no sense because she is enforcing it. If she can't explain it with a reasonable explanation other than 'it's our policy' - she drew first blood in the rudeness department, IMHO.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

It's an ignorant policy. If they are concerned about somebody questioning a transaction later, give the woman a receipt with an identifying number on it (probably happens already). If she doesn't have it, she has no recourse. Honestly there is no reason for a bank, or any other establishment, to get a name to do a legal money transaction with cash (unless it is large sums that fall under regulation). Certainly the woman could have questioned it logically - but the teller should be questioning it logically too. The rote 'it's our policy' response is bs. She is responsible for the policy that makes no sense because she is enforcing it. If she can't explain it with a reasonable explanation other than 'it's our policy' - she drew first blood in the rudeness department, IMHO.

I don't understand what's wrong with the policy. I agree with it. With the amount of people who come in and do change orders in a single day I agree with writing their name down. It's not like it's some big secret. It's your name! I could understand people getting upset if we were asking them for their social security number or something but we are not. People come back and try to say we shorted them and we cant just ignore it. We have to go back and look at the transaction in the system, balance everything agian, and look back at cameras and if we didn't record their name, what they gave us, and what we gave them there would be no way to verify what happen. It's to protect them, and to protect us.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

I don't understand what's wrong with the policy. I agree with it. With the amount of people who come in and do change orders in a single day I agree with writing their name down. It's not like it's some big secret. It's your name! I could understand people getting upset if we were asking them for their social security number or something but we are not. People come back and try to say we shorted them and we cant just ignore it. We have to go back and look at the transaction in the system, balance everything agian, and look back at cameras and if we didn't record their name, what they gave us, and what we gave them there would be no way to verify what happen. It's to protect them, and to protect us.

Ok - so I don't want to give you my name - shouldn't it be my choice to say 'ok, I'll count my money now and won't come back'? The fact that you don't understand why people would be upset about it is probably why you are rude about it to them and subsequently they are rude back. And yes, some counter jockey giving the answer 'it's our policy' without any explanation why is rude.
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

Ok - so I don't want to give you my name - shouldn't it be my choice to say 'ok, I'll count my money now and won't come back'? The fact that you don't understand why people would be upset about it is probably why you are rude about it to them and subsequently they are rude back. And yes, some counter jockey giving the answer 'it's our policy' without any explanation why is rude.
    counter jockey? I think name calling is much ruder than an explanation of "it's our policy". I train my staff to never give that answer but sometimes they still will let a customer get them flustered and blurt it out but I still don't feel it warrants name calling
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

I think the woman was right to take her "business" somewhere else.
    There are many banks that would not have given out change unless it was an account holder or, they would have charged a service fee for non account holders.

Basically, the bank (and the teller by extension) was doing this lady a favor.
    If she didn't want to give her name, hit the bricks.
  • MonicaLee92
    Options

In case it's a fake 100

Good grief...

Okay so simply don't give me your name. You can have your $100 back and take it somewhere else. And I'm not sure what you read I wrote but I explained to her why I needed her name. I didn't just say "it's our policy". I wasn't rude to her. I'm not going to risk my job because someone else doesn't like how it has to be done. It's people like YOU who probably make people like me have a hard time at work...
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I hate people. I really do.