Some people...

Options

Replies

• pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    a number of reasons come to mind...foremost, some people just go through life bitter and angry at everything....some people are just having an off day (to put it nicely) I own a pawn shop and I get all types in here. It will vary from day to day but, I love the business so, I handle it accordingly...if someone comes in and is rude, cursing, or just don't get it....I will tell them to hit the door. If they say "you will not get my business anymore" I will kindly tell them "it's all good without your $20 ring" (or whatever they are bringing in.)
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I understand. I worked dealing directly with the public for the first 20 years of my working career and it's hard to believe what people are capable of when it comes to rudeness. And.. with the passing time, people get worse and worse. When I first started out, it wasn't as bad as the last few years of my "direct" job.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I get a little leeway in my job. The Realtors who belong to our board are NOT my boss, they don't get to tell me what to do and if they are being an *kitten*, I CAN talk back to an extent.

The other day I was at Kroger getting gas and some guy at the pump freaked out because it went over what he pre-paid. The guy working the booth asked him if he put a card in and he said , "Yes, after I paid you with $40, I put my credit card in the pump. THAT"S HOW I GET MY GODDAMN points!"

Little did he know that he just authorized his card to the charge, and his points don't go on his credit card, they go on his kroger card.... He continued to scream and cuss out the attendant while a crowd looked on. I just laughed out loud at how stupid he looked and apologized for the guy when it was my turn to pay.

They guy was being an *kitten* when HE was the one who screwed up!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Ugh!

At my job we have to answer phones and ask the name of EVERYONE who calls.

One afternoon this guy refused to give his name. "WHY ARE YOU ASKING THAT? That's none of your business!"

So the lady on phones that day told him he could either give her his name or she could hang up. Those were his options.

:\
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    Why do you need a name to give change for legal tender?

There are several reasons. The bill could be counterfeit or the person could be a "quick-change" artist. Also, the bank is a commercial business and people aren't "entitled" to get change there.
  • teejay2039
    Options

Okay so simply don't give me your name. You can have your $100 back and take it somewhere else. And I'm not sure what you read I wrote but I explained to her why I needed her name. I didn't just say "it's our policy". I wasn't rude to her. I'm not going to risk my job because someone else doesn't like how it has to be done. It's people like YOU who probably make people like me have a hard time at work...

^^^ what she said. I tell people all the time, "It's our policy." And no, I *don't* know why it's a policy, and frankly I don't freakin' care enough to find out. The fact that it's our policy is good enough for me. I don't own the company and never will, so I have no need or desire to know all the why and what for's.
  • lilmzritz
    lilmzritz Posts: 176
    Options
    Giving you kudos for still being a professional and keeping your calm. Just keep doing what you're doing and don't let these types of people get in your head. You are just doing their job and if people can't deal with being asked their name, then I suggest that they go back to their cave and leave society for good LOL!
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    people are douche bags because society not only allows it, it's encouraged. personal responsibility is a thing of the past. instant gratification has become the norm.
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    I blame it on Farmville....Think about it. Don't you hate getting those annoying requests? Just gets you in a pissy mood then you go to the bank to get change and BAM! They wanna know your name....why? so they can send you a farmville request???? WTF???

(lol...jk but, makes ya think) :tongue:
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    People get pissy when I ask what the call is regarding before transferring it to my boss. I'm his secretary, obviously my job is to SCREEN his calls. You either comply and tell me, which may or may not get you through to him or you don't tell me and I guarantee you he won't take the call or call back.

Usually the people calling who don't want to say what it's about are trying to sell something. That and when they use the abbreviation of his name trying to act like they really know him, when he actually goes by his middle name. LOL

My boss also never calls people back. He's extremely busy and is always on the phone. People call multiple times pissed off that they haven't gotten a call back. I just say "Oh, I'm sorry he hasn't had a chance to return your call yet. I'll remind him and let him know you called again." What I really want to say is "Stop effing yelling at me. He knows you called and either doesn't want to talk to you or hasn't had time. I can't physically put the phone to his ear and make call you!!!!!"
  • RealWomenLovePitbulls
    Options
    i think some people just WANT to be unhappy
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    i think some people just WANT to be unhappy

This isn't far from the truth. There is some psychobabble behind it but basically when it becomes the norm it also becomes what we NEED to feel safe.

For example, my mother strives on high stress. When there isn't some stressor in her life to deal with she kind of goes into a 'withdrawl' of sorts and she'll create a drama JUST to have that stress. It's like a drug.
  • MissKalhan
    MissKalhan Posts: 2,282 Member
    Options
    Some people are just Bat$*kitten* crazy, thats all there is to it. I worked as a waitress for 2 years and I'm currently working in a city councillor's office as the community outreach person. Some of the stories I could tell would scare you.
    I
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think people like that are so miserable that they feed on spreading their unpleasantness to others. Anger is basically inverted depression, and tends to rule the lives of people who allow it. My parents are two of the most miserable people I know, and my mother treats anyone she comes into contact with exactly like that lady treated you. I cringe when I have to go anywhere with her and I generally avoid going to my parent's house. I think EVERYONE deserves to be treated with respect and kindness, even if it is the person who is giving you fast food or cleaning your motel room. So many people will be disrespectful to others when they think that person is "beneath" them. Let's all make a pact to spread happiness and cheer today!! :flowerforyou:
  • MonicaLee92
    Options
    I blame it on Farmville....Think about it. Don't you hate getting those annoying requests? Just gets you in a pissy mood then you go to the bank to get change and BAM! They wanna know your name....why? so they can send you a farmville request???? WTF???

(lol...jk but, makes ya think) :tongue:

Hahaha! I needed a good laugh! Maybe Farmville is the reason why. I got a request the other day for Farmville 2...
  • sunshine_gem
    sunshine_gem Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    This is why I cannot do customer service jobs anymore.

^^^ This. 7 years was enough. People think that just because you're in customer service that you're beneath them. I always make a point of being polite and saying please and thank you. It only takes a few seconds and costs you nothing. If I do have to complain (and if I get bad service then I will), I try not to be rude or lose my temper as there's no need. Some people are just gonna be rude no matter what. Unfortunately.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ive worked in retail or some sort of customer service all my life and Im now a store manager and for those that dont know CUSTOMERS ARE NOT ALWAYS RIGHT but unfortunately you just have to sit there and take it. I find mostly there are two types of customers...those that have worked customer service and understand the pressures that employees working those jobs face and those that have never worked customer service and think they get to order you around because " you work a pathetic customer service job ", as if that is the only job you can get. For you that are the later group, just remember that most customer service jobs pay little more than minimum wage which is lil more than 7.50 an hour in most states so they more than likely make about 30thousand dollars less than your BMW driving smartass does. Dont forget, that your not the only customer they see in a day and that the past 30 customers that employee may have seen, all b!tched at them for one reason or another. Just relax and treat others as you would like to be treated:) YOU , are not the only person living in your world so just chill...its common manners to be respectful- well, it may not be in your world, but it is no more than southern hospitality in my world. Sorry....I will get off my soap box now, time for me to go piss some customers off, lmao.
  • Colonel_Brandon
    Colonel_Brandon Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound old fashioned, but...

Refinement is now something that is in the minority.

With the propensity of the "me first" attitude comes a reduction in the amount of manners, self awareness, and sympathy/empathy & caring about the feelings of others.

I can't tell you how many women look at me in shock when I insist on opening the door for them.

Amazing. I am truly embarrassed for what my gender has become.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    This is going to sound old fashioned, but...

Refinement is now something that is in the minority.

With the propensity of the "me first" attitude comes a reduction in the amount of manners, self awareness, and sympathy/empathy & caring about the feelings of others.

I can't tell you how many women look at me in shock when I insist on opening the door for them.

Amazing. I am truly embarrassed for what my gender has become.

I blame this decline on women. Damn feminists.
  • LesleeBeAlive
    Options
    I have to vent on this because it really bothers me. WHY do people have to be so rude for no reason. I work at a bank and a person just came through the drive through and sent in a 100 dollar bill. I asked did you just want change for this ma'am? And she replied yes. So then I had to ask her for her name or account number. She didn't reply, so I asked her again. And she yelled at me why do you need my name? I said its manditory that we put it in the system so in case there are any problems and you were to come back we can go back in the system and see exactly what happened. She then yelled at me this is so stupid, just give me the $100 back if you can't do my transaction. I said ma'am I would be more than happy to do this for you I just have to put in your name. She then screamed her name at me and yelled God this is so stupid! I left the speaker on to hear what she was saying still and she just sat out there venting how stupid she thought this was to have to go through. I then sent her back her change and told her thank you have a great day. She gave me the look, shook her head, and drove off with her change.

Really? I still don't get the issue here... Why couldn't you simply tell me your name and go on with your life. It's these kind of people who you always get that make you HATE working in customer service. That and the customers who you get all day that look at you like your a complete moron for saying good morning to them, or have a good day or night. I could just strangle people sometimes...:grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad: :grumble: :explode: :angry: :mad:

Little late on this one, but girl I feel you there. I work at a bank an I hate people like that. AND lazy ones. "I can't spell good, can you fill out my withdrawal slip for me?" You mean to tell me you cant spell twenty? Or One Hundred?! GAH!