300-400 Pound Club

Options
Hi, my name is Jessica and i live in Texas. When i first started to lose my weight i was 401! I just look at this number and i am so disappointed in myself! but ya know I can change it! So as of right now i am at 383!
Just wondering any people out there in the 300-400 range. How do you handle thinking of all the weight you want or have to lose? Sometimes it is overwhelming!

Replies

• steph1278
    steph1278 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    When I started, I was 332 pounds. I am now down to 216. It can be overwhelming to think about so my best advice is not to focus on the big picture, but break it down into smaller goals. It's a lot of work, but so worth it.
  • jeanellsunshine
    jeanellsunshine Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I joined this website, I weighed 327.6 pounds. That is the heaviest I ever weighed and I was absolutely shocked that I let myself get that heavy. Literally a week after I weighed myself, I had to go to the doctor. He told me my blood pressure 160/90 and I may have diabetes, and I needed blood work done ASAP in case I needed to go on medication. At 22 years old, I had a wake up call and now I lost 27.6 pounds and I'm so proud of myself! By next summer, I want to weigh 160 pounds and be a size 8/10.

Losing this weight is overwhelming but I think with every pound I lose, I add another month or year to my life. That's my motivation right there.
  • Highlanderlover
    Options
    I totally agree! It can be so overwhelming. But i just take it day by day and try to not think about the big picture! LOL
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    Hi Jessica, at my highest I was 388, started MFP at 382 on Sept 11 2012. Currently I am at 353. I have a long way to go also. I don't think about the ending number very much, mainly because it is like thinking about what I want for Christmas in January. I figure when I get close I will concentrate more on the ending goal number, for now I aim for closer goals; such as, getting under 350. I have been 350 + for the last 22 years, so that will be exciting. After that I will strive to get under 337, which is the weight that I graduated High School. Then I will shoot for 300, etc. The idea being that with each short term goal reached I will regain inspiration to continue striving for the next and eventually hit the ultimate goal (whatever that turns out to be).
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am not in this club now, but I was a very short time ago. I started losing weight in March of this year, at 338 pounds. I am now 238. It is very overwhelming at first, because even if you lose a few pounds, it is hard not to think of how many more there are. But those few pounds here and there do add up, much quickly than you expect! Just get you plan, and stick with it. You can do it! There are a ton of people here who started out much higher and have accomplished so much!
  • wimeezer
    wimeezer Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

I started at 440 and currently at 366. It can be overwhelming.

But I don't focus on the 'to be lost', I focus on the 'lost so far' and revel in how much better I feel everyday, that my clothes are getting big, and how much exercise I can manage each day.

When I first started I firmly told myself I wasn't going to dwell on and lament the past - it can't be changed. I am looking forward at all the things I am doing now and will do as this journey continues.

MFP is a great tool and members are supportive and inspiring.

You can do this!!!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    Options
    Taking it one day at a time and not expecting perfection on the journey. Also realizing the weight (in most cases) will not be lost overnight. This is a process and you have to commit to it for the long haul. And when you weigh over 300 for sure or for anyone on of your motto's has to be "I will never give up". You will not reach your goals without this in your mind. POST it! Embrace it and believe it. Success is never giving up! You can do it. You are going to fall off the wagon at times, just get right back up and keep on trucking until you get it right.

How many times does a baby fall before they learn how to walk? Well our journey is the same -- again for most :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    "I've missed more than 9,000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed." ~ Michael Jordan
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRebLifqXZXSpkbMzYquGvM2j1eHmijDJuKt93oX2gIEE3BntZ2og
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    Read inspiring quotes daily to help keep yourself motivated.
  • Dad_To_2
    Dad_To_2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Jessica , I know it can be overwhelming thinking about all the weight to lose, but I set my weight loss in what I believe to be manageable goals. I started at 371 back in April of this year, and I am currently down to 248.

I'm not trying to plug my blog here, but I this post: http://randomthoughtsbyeric.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-health-goals.html is where I listed all of my goals so far. This includes weight loss and fitness goals.

I firmly believe that if you set manageable goals, be it 10 pounds in a certain time period to simply being under a certain weight in a certain time period, then you can achieve them! But don't just set your goals, write them down somewhere, and remind yourself of them. And if you don't reach them in the time frame you designate, don't beat yourself up over that. Keep going and reset the goal!

You'll do great!

Eric
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    Options
    MFP is a great source!! There are some awesome groups on here. Join them and make good use of them and find good supportive friends too. There are good MFP friends and bad ones. If you find yours are not supportive find some supportive ones and in order to get good friends you have to be one yourself :)
  • lewcompton
    lewcompton Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Started at 425 and since July have dropped 20% of my body weight. 339 on Saturday. The numbers that have me happiest though are the resting pulse rate was 86 now 68... blood pressure 139/94 now 123/82... blood sugar in the 90s without medication... No Hypertension, no Diabetes, heading towards a healthy me in every way possible. Planning to be out of the 300 club by Valentine's Day and hope to be out of it by New Year's... That would be awesome to drop 125 in 6 months! My wife loves it. She says that she has her old husband back... I actually put on the shorts that I wore on our honeymoon 6/7/2008... Almost back into my wedding tux... She doesn't even know me as an under 300 pound guy. I can't wait to introduce her to the 200 club me... My goal is to be at 250 by my year mark next July so that I can keep up with most of the kids in my scout troop at scout camp this summer. Would love to be at 200 by 2014!
  • lewcompton
    Options
    I am not in this club now, but I was a very short time ago. I started losing weight in March of this year, at 338 pounds. I am now 238. It is very overwhelming at first, because even if you lose a few pounds, it is hard not to think of how many more there are. But those few pounds here and there do add up, much quickly than you expect! Just get you plan, and stick with it. You can do it! There are a ton of people here who started out much higher and have accomplished so much!
    Way to go Deb!
  • lewcompton
    Options
    Jessica , I know it can be overwhelming thinking about all the weight to lose, but I set my weight loss in what I believe to be manageable goals. I started at 371 back in April of this year, and I am currently down to 248.

I'm not trying to plug my blog here, but I this post: http://randomthoughtsbyeric.blogspot.com/2012/07/my-health-goals.html is where I listed all of my goals so far. This includes weight loss and fitness goals.

I firmly believe that if you set manageable goals, be it 10 pounds in a certain time period to simply being under a certain weight in a certain time period, then you can achieve them! But don't just set your goals, write them down somewhere, and remind yourself of them. And if you don't reach them in the time frame you designate, don't beat yourself up over that. Keep going and reset the goal!

You'll do great!

Eric
    Way to go Eric!
  • heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I started my journey weighing 398.8lbs and I am now 294.6lbs.. It has been a struggle, but I am trying to keep the mind set that I'll get there and not to focus on the goal number. I have made baby steps with little goals. Hope this helps :)
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Good Job, when I started my journey I was quickly creaping up to 400lbs - and now I've lost over 120lbs. It feels SO good to get below 300 - now I'm looking forward to being under 200. :) Hang in there and hit me up if you need some support :)
  • twiglips
    twiglips Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I started at 388. Try not to think of the entire amount that you have to lose but set smaller goals that you can celebrate along the way. Good luck - making the decision to make changes - that's the hardest part and you've already done it!
  • Bigjayinga
    Bigjayinga Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I started at 386, just stick with it and it will come. Trust me
  • KenDubya74
    KenDubya74 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    At 311lbs I'm nearly out of this club. I remember the first time I weighed and was 425lbs. I was crushed, angry with myself for letting myself get like that. It was very depressing and overwhelming, I did nothing until I eventually was rushed tot he hospital with several Pulmonary Embolisms that had passed into my lungs. Most don't survive one much less several. Long story short I decided to make a change, it took some effort and some time but when I finally buckled down and decided to face myself head on I've made alot of progress. I've lost 94lbs in the past 9 months and I'm still going. I take it one day at a time, one victory at a time. Whatever you do, never give up... never quit. Life with throw obstacles at you, take those shots and keep firing back, you will be so very happy you did. I'm the smallest I've been in 5 years but my journey is not even half finished. I'm looking forward to each step though. Good luck to everyone of you... you are all AWESOME!