Scrambled Cheese Eggs in Canada??

Options
TyFit08
TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
I went o a restaurant this morning and it had scrambled eggs on the menu. I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese. The waitress looked at me confused and asked if I wanted a cheese omelet, I said no I want scrambled eggs with cheese. She continued to look confused but put the order in. Guess what I got, a cheese omelet.

I am an American living in Canada and I am wondering if this was just a confused waitress or a do Canadians not put cheese in their scrambled eggs.A Canadian friend of mine says she has never seen scrambled cheese eggs on a menu and that its generally not eaten. Personally I can't imagine eating eggs without cheese unless its boiled. Sometimes I put veggies in my scrambled eggs too. I know its not much different then an omelet, but sometimes an omelet is too big and the cheese and veggies end up just in the middle and nothing on the side.

So is just one of those cultural things or not?

Replies

• Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Go to Denny's they do it and wont look at you like your stupid.
    But I also just think you had a stupid waiter, I've order that at other places and never had a problem.
  • schell81
    schell81 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I live in BC and I always put cheese on my scrambled eggs at home but I noticed that I never see it on restaurant menus. I've asked for it before and received cheese on my eggs, not an omelet. I suspect your waitress wasn't too bright.
  • PamelaKuz
    PamelaKuz Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I've never seen it on a menu either. I've lived in BC, Manitoba and Alberta. I've done it at home for a treat sometimes, just a little shredded cheddar on top after they are cooked.

Eta- i'll add my vote into the dumb waitress side too.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Okay yes she was probably not very bright. Even though Canada and the U.S. are so similar, I never want to assume that everything I eat is common here. My husband is Canadian and he eats eggs that way, so I didn't think it would be odd ordering it. I don't recall cheese eggs being on menu's in the U.S. Usually when you order eggs, you are asked how you want them and asking for eggs scrambled with cheese or even with veggies won't get a second thought.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm in Scotland, never thought to add cheese to my scrambled eggs, might try, though I normally just add smoked salmon, yum!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Cheese on scrambled eggs is very common in the U.S. If I'm out of cheese, I won't eat eggs scrambled or fried. I can't stand the taste of eggs alone.
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada - I've seen scrambled eggs with cheese on the Denny's menu.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I guess since its an American chain. But I think its safe to say most Americans wouldn't eat a Dennys unless they were drunk or nothing else was open. I'm in Toronto and I've never seen one. Would love an IHOP though. There is one near Niagara Falls but that's too far to drive for some eggs.
  • leska1216
    leska1216 Posts: 260
    Options
    I went o a restaurant this morning and it had scrambled eggs on the menu. I ordered scrambled eggs with cheese. The waitress looked at me confused and asked if I wanted a cheese omelet, I said no I want scrambled eggs with cheese. She continued to look confused but put the order in. Guess what I got, a cheese omelet.

I am an American living in Canada and I am wondering if this was just a confused waitress or a do Canadians not put cheese in their scrambled eggs.A Canadian friend of mine says she has never seen scrambled cheese eggs on a menu and that its generally not eaten. Personally I can't imagine eating eggs without cheese unless its boiled. Sometimes I put veggies in my scrambled eggs too. I know its not much different then an omelet, but sometimes an omelet is too big and the cheese and veggies end up just in the middle and nothing on the side.

So is just one of those cultural things or not?

I doubt it's a cultural thing. I am Canadian and have lived in 6 provinces and 2 states and have never seen scrambled eggs and cheese on a menu anywhere.

I heat my pan with a touch of butter, add chopped green onions or chives, add eggs, scramble, and then I add my cheese. Finish cooking and eat. Sometimes I throw in chopped green or red pepper.

I don't think I would order this at a restaurant; when I go out it's to treat myself, therefore I order eggs over easy!!
  • TyFit08
    Options
    I've never seen it on a menu either. Usually it just says eggs and you tell the waiter how you want it. I am from New York City and always get eggs when I have weekend brunch which sometimes at high class places and always with cheese. So does just about everyone I know. I have two friends who always order scrambled eggs with cheese, onions, pepper and tomatoes because they find the omelet portion too large.

But this restaurant did say scrambled eggs on the menu. I wasn't in the mood for an omelet since it can be so big I said scrambled eggs. Couldn't believe for 8.25 it really was just scrambled eggs and toast. I still think my waitress was a bit dense, but I do see now that scrambled eggs with cheese isn't uncommon made at home in Canada, but not so common in Canadian restaurants.
  • angelicasmommy
    angelicasmommy Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I make "cheesy eggs" for my 2 year old, and she loves it. I was making it for her a few weeks ago while a friend was over, and he said "are you making a cheese omelet?" and I said, no, just scrambled eggs with cheese. He said "same thing" lol. We are in Canada. I have never made an omelet.
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    She may have been confused if you asked for "cheese eggs", as that's not something I've ever heard it called in Canada. But "scrambled eggs with cheese on top" shouldn't gotten anything other than a "sure". That's the only way I eat them.

Sounds like she was just a bit slow. Maybe she was hungover. ;)

Wouldn't expect to see that specifically on a menu though, would just choose the eggs how you want them (scrambled) and ask for cheese on top.
  • TyFit08
    Options
    Actually I asked for scrambled eggs with cheese and she just looked like I was speaking another language. I'm convinced she was not too bright. You know when I first moved here, one of my in-laws was over helping my husband unpack. I made a breakfast that consisted of, pancakes, bacon and eggs scrambled with cheese, onions, mushrooms and peppers. He kept raving about how good the eggs were and I didn't think there was anything special about them. Usually my pancakes are the focus of compliments. But now maybe it was because I didn't serve scrambled eggs plain. To be honest, omelets are too hard, I rarely make them without it breaking up and I'm okay with one or two eggs, so I have a hard time finishing an omelet, especially restaurant size
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I have trouble with that here in the States, too. When I ask for scrambled eggs with cheese, I either get an omelet with the cheese folded inside, or unmelted cheese sprinkled on top of scrambled eggs. Both completely defeat the purpose. So, I learned long ago not to order this in a restaurant because very rarely will the kitchen prepare it correctly. I make them better at home. :)
  • gwild0r
    gwild0r Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    The real question here is.. Why doesn't the US put cheese on their fries and gravy..
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,974 Member
    Options
    I always thought it was a southern US thing -- that's where I first ran into it. I sometimes see it at buffets but not often on a menu.
  • WDEvy
    WDEvy Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I'm Canadian.. Never seen it either. There's a lot of things on menus in the US that don't exist here. ( Normally very bad for you things...) I was flabbergasted the first time we ordered pizza in the US and it came with MELTED BUTTER for the crust!!
  • nextrightthing
    nextrightthing Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    The real question here is.. Why doesn't the US put cheese on their fries and gravy..

ha, ha, ha!!!!

Ask for cutlery when you are in the U.S.,,,,,,,,,,,,,very stunned looks even though you have your food and not a knife, fork or spoon in site :-)
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options

Oh man! Mhmmm... Canadian Nachos. :)

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.
  • gr8pillock
    gr8pillock Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    No, the real question I have for you, Canada, is where's the crab Rangoon? Seriously! I told my honey to order some when he was getting chinese takeout and he looked at me like I have two heads. But what was even more unnerving was that the woman on the phone at the restaurant responded the same damn way!!!

Crab Rangoon, people??? Although, after that poutine comment, I'm thinking road trip is in order. :)