12/5: 189.2 (-1.6)
    12/12:
    12/19:
    12/26:
    1/1:
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone! Don't give up the fight...we are all winners as long as we keep moving!!:smile:
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    this week Jill was the biggest loser on paper but since i have been carrying her weight forward for a few weeks i decided to give the title of BIGGEST LOSER this week to Crystal who had a great loss of 1.8% since last week....

Clarita is still our BIGGEST LOSER to date with 5.4% lost since we started....

Denise, Becca, Sara, Mary and Chris all had losses this week as well...as a group to date we have lost 23lbs which is about 1% of our starting weight....nice work...nice to see the scale moving in the right direction for so many of us....those who are maintaining you should be celebrating as well since losing between halloween and christmas is usually NEVER an occurrence in the regular world...nice work to everyone who is hanging in there and keeping the challenge going....

Crystal can you give us a new challenge please???

wk6smaller.jpg
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the official update Denise!

Almost 19lb lost between us this week....that's fantastic!

Looking forward to hearing this week's challenge :wink:
  • Geminihuntress
    Geminihuntress Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Way to go everyone!!
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Good morning and good job everyone! I'm looking forward to the challenge!
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I think we can all agree that this is totally a learning process for us all. Our bodies are all different and what one does different doesn't necessarily mean it will work for another. I find it frustrating sometimes actually. What I decided to do however actually a few weeks back was to INCREASE my protein intake and cut back on my carbs. Now I don't mean cut them completely out... I just cut them back from where I used to be.

So I have noticed a few things since doing this. Anyhow....

For the challenge...

How about if you INCREASE your protein by say... 20 grams or more. Try to do that daily. That's it really.... but if you want to do what I did for the past few weeks, maybe increase your protein and decrease your carbs by 10 grams. ((it's a start)) You don't have to do the whole carb thing, I did and I have seen a huge difference.

As for exercise, you all are doing awesome... so I have nothing as far as exercise goes. I also noticed (for me personally) that I couldn't eat 1,700 calories a day. I just felt *bloated*. So, I went back to what MFP says I should take in which is 1,450 calories a day. Now I admit, I don't hit that sometimes, but It isn't because I'm purposefully doing that... I'm doing that because I'm full and I just refuse to eat after 7pm at night.

That is another thing... you can do this if you want... but If you remember I said no eating after 7 at night. I'm really believing that is helping me through this whole process. You can do this if you want ((and I know it is really hard for some of you)) I'm just throwing that out there.... I do it, maybe it will help you?

Clarita... Congratulations on your over-all weight loss!!! You are making this hard for me! lol. ((a little friendly competition is awesome))

I went over all of your guys' goal weights... and most of you guys are almost there!!!! Mine is set at 215... I'm not going to lie...I'm not so sure I will hit that and I'm a little nervous about it... but ya know something... I'm going to be damn close at this rate, so I'm not stressing over it. I don't ever wanna see that 229 again... so I'm okay with not hitting my goal as long as I'm close and I'm headed towards ONEderland.

Thanks Denise for being patient... I've been running all day and just got back a few minutes before writing this.

Come on guys.... NEW winner next week.... KICK IT!!!!
  • InPieces3
    Options
    High-Protein Diet for Weight Loss

Some people turn to higher-protein diets to lose weight. That's because some researchers suggest that higher-protein diets help people better control their appetites and calorie intake.

Diets with 30% protein are now being considered "reasonable" and the term "high protein diet" is now reserved for diets with over 50% protein.

Diets higher in protein and moderate in carbs -- along with regular exercise -- are often thought by experts to reduce blood fats. It also helps maintain lean tissue while burning fat for fuel. And this happens without dieters being sidetracked with constant hunger.

Researchers don't understand exactly how protein works to reduce appetite. They think that it may be because a protein causes the brain to receive lower levels of appetite-stimulating hormones. Fewer insulin spikes lead to less fluctuation of sugar levels -- and therefore fewer cravings. It may also be due to eating fewer carbs or the specific protein's effect on hunger hormones and brain chemistry.

What the Studies Show

More research is needed before experts can make sweeping recommendations that people boost the protein in their diets, according to the American Dietetic Association.

But some new research hints that protein may be able to satisfy hunger better than either fats or carbohydrates.

For example, in a study in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, people were put on a diet in which:

Fat was reduced to 20% of calories
    Protein was increased to 30% of calories
    Carbs made up 50% of diet
    People on that diet reported that they:

Were more satisfied
    Less hungry
    Lost weight
    Another study in the Journal of Nutrition combined a high-protein diet with exercise. People in that study had:

Enhanced weight loss
    Improved blood fat levels
    How Much Protein Do You Need?

You need protein at all stages of life. It's the major component of all cells, including muscle and bone. It's needed for:

Growth
    Development
    Immunity to fight off infections and protect the body
    The Institute of Health's Dietary Reference Intake (DRI) recommendations allow for a wide range of protein intake. The range is anywhere from 10% to 35% of total calories for normal, healthy adults.

For example, on an 1,800-calorie diet, you could safely eat anywhere from 45 grams (10% of calories) to 218 grams (35% of calories) of protein per day.

But the Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) for protein is:

Men: 56 grams a day
    Women: 46 grams a day
    Most Americans have no problem getting this much, but would struggle to take in enough protein to make up 35% of their calories.

Is it possible to eat too much protein? There are no dangers associated with higher intakes of protein -- unless you have kidney or liver disease.
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Freakin crap :) i have such a hard time meeting my protein goal as it is :) don't know if I can do this challenge! But I will! I'm determined lol. Having friends like you guys always motivates me to improve my health. My normal protein goal is 90g a day (which I often don't meet), so for this week it will be 110. I don't usually look at my carbs much so I didn't know this off the top of my head, but looking back at my food diary I had roughly 160-195g of carbs a day. So my target for this week is 150g a day. I will post my daily results here for accountability. Now off to the store to buy some major tuna fish, cheese and yogurt!! :D
  • saramerrigan
    saramerrigan Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    Interesting challenges Crystal :smile:

I already shooting for 125g of protein per day, and try to keep under 100g carbs, but for this week I'm going to switch to 145gms protein and 65gm carbs.

I can't do the not eating after 7pm thing at the moment as I'm super busy with working and studying for professional exams, but will definitely try and limlit myself to not eating after 8pm.

I'm now going to plan all my meals for the week and make the shopping list :laugh:
  • InPieces3
    Options
    I know I'm long winded. I'm sorry.

The second part was an article I got on the web here about protein. And hey... some of you guys are already hitting high grams of protein already....I just noticed when I *upped* mine I seen better results. You honestly don't have to cut back your carbs if you don't want to (not part of the challenge really) I just did it because I was taking in too many. I wasn't exactly over in carbs all the time, I just wanted to get rid of the breads/pastas as much as possible... because they are *heavy* carbs and take forever to digest in your system.
    You all know what your doing and are doing awesome already. :) I just thought it would be a nice change instead of something that had to do with exercise (because you guys kill it anyhow). If you are going to do it... see if you also notice a difference in your hunger! I noticed I wasn't as hungry. :)

Good luck!
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    I met the challenge yesterday 12/7 - 150g carbs, 55g fat, 118g protein.
  • Time2getFit4Life
    Time2getFit4Life Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Sorry I missed the weigh in Denise!!!

Crystal thanks for the info on high protein intake i plan to reduce my carbs and increase my protein intake through the new year to try and reach the 170's. I have been having a really tough time so I'm focused now moving forward. My Hubby is using MFP and he is already down 10lbs uggghhh. Such a slap in the face well in this case a slap in the right direction he actually think he's going to catch up to me before I lose weight. Not going to happen!!!

So I accept the challenge to lower Carb and increase protein and be done with eating by 7pm
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    I made the challenge yesterday - 121g carbs and 144g protein. Going out to sushi for dinner made it possible though - it's harder to keep my protein up at home. Also I've discovered that my home scale is off so I'm not sure how accurate the weights I'm posting are.
  • InPieces3
    Options
    Sorry I missed the weigh in Denise!!!

Crystal thanks for the info on high protein intake i plan to reduce my carbs and increase my protein intake through the new year to try and reach the 170's. I have been having a really tough time so I'm focused now moving forward. My Hubby is using MFP and he is already down 10lbs uggghhh. Such a slap in the face well in this case a slap in the right direction he actually think he's going to catch up to me before I lose weight. Not going to happen!!!

So I accept the challenge to lower Carb and increase protein and be done with eating by 7pm

You know what makes me angry about MEN? ((Well besides the obvious)) lol.... they ALWAYS kick *kitten* in the weight loss department and seem to make it seem way easier than it is. I'm so happy for him though!!! So Yay! Slap him anyhow... for all of us. lol
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Today 145g carbs, 134g protein.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Starting weight: 144lbs
    Goal weight: 130lb

Date......weight.....bust-waist-belly-hips
    11/05.....144lbs.....37-31-(37)-39
    11/12.....142lbs.....37-31-(36.5)-39
    11/19.....140lbs.....36-30-(36)-39
    11/26.....140lbs.....36-30-(36)-38.5
    12/03.....138lbs.....36-29.5-(35.5)-38.5
    12/10.....136lbs....36-29-(35.5)-38
    12/17.....
    12/24..
    12/31.....130lbs.....36-28-(30)-39*
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i too shall work on getting protein up higher...i've been trying to hit no less than 1/2 of my carbs with protein if that makes sense?? so if i have 200g carbs i have to have more than 100g of protein....it has been going okay but i need to try harder....this weekend i didnt log because we were in disney and it would be just too hard but i am back to logging today and will work on more protein and less carbs for the rest of the week....
    hope everyone is having a good morning...
  • claritarejoice
    Options
    Yesterday 142g carbs, 141g protein.

I don't think I will be able to hit the carb and protein goal today - I have a work Christmas potluck for lunch, and an elementary school Christmas program all evening. Oh, the holidays - it's much busier the next two weeks than I would like.