200+ (Week 14)

Replies

• pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    blombie -it sounds like fun. Enjoy yourself.

Thought you might enjoy this soup I made with the left over Kale...

Garlic and Kale Soup

1/2 cup wheat berries (I subbed Nuttles a soy protien cereal)
    2 TBS olive oil
    3.5 oz shiitake mushrooms (I subbed sliced button shrooms) (about 1 cup)
    10 cloves garlic
    1/4 cup brown rice vinegar (I subbed apple cider vinegar)
    4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
    1 bunch of Kale 10 ounces stemmed and coarsely chopped

1) Soak wheat berries overnight in bowl cold water.
    2) Heat oil in 2-qt saucepan over med heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt if desired. Saute mushrooms 10 min or until beginning to brown. Add garlic, and saute 2 more min. Stir in vinegar; simmer until vinegar is almost evaporated while stirring to scrape up browned bits from pan.
    3) Drain wheat berries and add to mushroom mixture with vegetable broth and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce and simmer 20 min. Add Kale, and cook 10 to 20 more min until kale is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

Makes 6 servings - 1 cup
    138 cal
    4 G protein
    5 G total fat (<1 sat)
    20 G carb
    0 mg chol
    103 mg sodium
    3 G fiber
    4 G sugar
  • akasullengal
    akasullengal Posts: 1,499 Member
    blombie- Disney should be a blast! I think I enjoyed it the most when I was older, though my favorite parks/rides obviously changed as I grew up. All the walking you'll be doing will definitely offset some of the calories you're eating. It should be so much fun!

pinbot- that recipe looks great! I'll have to save it for later to make at some point.

This week I'll make a vegetarian soup from WW, which I haven't made in at least a month.. it's a fav of mine, and 0 points... filling and low calorie. Also picked up a wild rice medley from trader joe's last week, so I'm going to get some veggies to cook and have with it. Also, last week I cooked some sweet potatoes and added a wee bit of brown sugar to them and they were SO good. I might get some more for this week.

I'm off to the rec center in a few. Hopefully it's not terribly crowded. Day 1 of week 4 of c25k! Little intimidated by all that running, but I think as long as I start off slow, I'll be alright; plus i made a fun music mix for it. Then, I'm off to the grocery store!

I hope everyone enjoys the rest of their weekend!
  • akasullengal
    Where is everyone?? hehe

Happy Monday folks!

Things are going well today so far. Yesterday I did my first day of week 4 of c25k. It went well overall.. I was able to run the full time as long as I started slower (4.3mph.. bumped up to 5.0 in the last minute). So I'm finding I'm having a bit of an issue with running and was wondering if anyone else came across this. In order to make it the entire time, I need to go pretty slow on the treadmill, which is fine, except it actually hurts my feet more than when I'm going faster. I think because it's only a bit faster than walking, I'm sort of shuffling along on the treadmill... my stride is really small. I find it actually easier to run at the faster speed because I can lengthen my stride a bit which hurts my feet less. The problem though, is that I can't keep up running for all that long at a faster speed. A bit of a catch-22.

Mondays are my designate day off at the moment for working out, but I might try to do a dvd when I get home as I'm going to pub trivia tonight for the first time in many weeks. I'll absolutely be over my calories for the day, even if I do work out a bit, but it would be good to make a little dent in the caloric intake. Perhaps the 30 day shred or cardio ballroom. Should be a fun time tonight though!
  • makeitallsue
    makeitallsue Posts: 3,086 Member
    Where is everyone?? hehe

Happy Monday folks!

Things are going well today so far. Yesterday I did my first day of week 4 of c25k. It went well overall.. I was able to run the full time as long as I started slower (4.3mph.. bumped up to 5.0 in the last minute). So I'm finding I'm having a bit of an issue with running and was wondering if anyone else came across this. In order to make it the entire time, I need to go pretty slow on the treadmill, which is fine, except it actually hurts my feet more than when I'm going faster. I think because it's only a bit faster than walking, I'm sort of shuffling along on the treadmill... my stride is really small. I find it actually easier to run at the faster speed because I can lengthen my stride a bit which hurts my feet less. The problem though, is that I can't keep up running for all that long at a faster speed. A bit of a catch-22.
    AKA, Great job on getting week 4 started.....I don't know if it helps or not, as I have never ran on a treadmill so I don't know if it's the same, but for me to keep running at a faster pace, I really think about my breathe, I take deep breaths in through the nose, really filling my lungs and back out and at the same time I hold my core tight, check my shoulders and make sure the are back and relaxed..(kinda a check on posture) and I really focus on form, my arms at my sides ..not coming across the front of my body...I guess for me I get my mind busy checking everything with my form and keeping things in order and before I know it, there goes another 1/2 mile and I just repeat, repeat....keep at it, your doing super!
  • KendalBeee
    KendalBeee Posts: 2,269 Member
    I stayed home from work today. I have a stomach bug of some kind. Its not too terribly bad, but its not something I would want to have to deal with at work. I slept till noon and have been goofing off online for the past 3 hours. I'm still in my pajamas and haven't eaten today either.
  • akasullengal
    Oh no Blombie! I hope you feel better soon, considering your impending Disney trip. At least it sounds like you got some well-needed rest today. Keep up with the fluids!
  • MommyofLily
    MommyofLily Posts: 149 Member
    Hi! I'd like to join this group! I'm fairly new to the site. I got to my highest weight about a month ago (245 lbs+) and I have been working on getting back down since Jan 4. I'm getting married August 6 and I want to feel good about myself by then. I know I probably won't be able to lose as much weight as I'd like, but my goal is to not be so jiggly and feel comfortable bearing my arms and shoulders!

I feel like I'm on the right track because I'm down to about 230 lbs right now. My main profile pic is from last summer (the last time I lost 20 lbs and was down to about 195 lbs). My ultimate goal is to be 20 lbs less than I was in high school, so around 160 lbs at some point... I can do this!! Right??

I look forward to interacting with you all and exchanging encouragement! :) Keep up the good work by the way!

P.S.- what's C25K?
  • pinbotchick
    Welcome Rachiebblue :flowerforyou: New members are always welcome to join us. C25K is couch to 5K (3.1 miles) of learning to run/jog in 9 weeks. The first week you start with 8 runs lasting 60 sec and power walk in between run sessions. In the last week, you run 31 min without a rest. I'm in the last week of training. I plan to run a 5K in April. The second one of my life. I ran the last one in 2003 and it took me 43 min to complete the task - I weighed 200 then. My goal is to finish this one in less than 40 min and be under 200 by then... We weigh in on Fridays and currently have goals to lose 10 pounds by Valentine's day (we started Jan 1st). We are about 1/2 way through - do you want to join and plan for 5 pounds by then?

Keep it up Kristina - I haven't had the foot problem on the treadmill but my guess is you are not landing on your heels as you alter your jogging pattern to slow down. Maybe try the faster speed first then slow down as your leg muscles fatigue. Like Debra, I have to concentrate on breathing when I try to run faster - deeply in through the nose and slowly out through the mouth. The next time I'm on the treadmill I will play around and see if I can recreate your pain (should be Wednesday)... Have you tried running outside yet? I got out today for week 9 day 2 and it felt great - 36 and sunny.

Blombie - hope you feel better soon. Drink some OJ with the water.

Debra - Glad you had a nice weekend with the grandkids.

cds and nikki - Hope you have a good week.
  • cds2327
    cds2327 Posts: 439
    just wanted to check in! I've recommitted myself after beating myself up all weekend. decided to up my workouts, so today I jog/ran for 20 min, then walked fast for 20. also, i lowered my calories and we'll see what happens.
    i also started a 48 hour detox (all natural stuff, so no worrying). so far, all i have done is peed a ton!!!
    anyhow, hopefully this is a great week for all!!
  • pinbotchick
    I feel so much better and on track since my laptop was fixed this weekend. I finally have the most recent charts. Let me know if there are errors.

20p8wty.jpg
  • KendalBeee
    All I ate yesterday were 2 yogurts. Just couldn't find anything in the house that I was sure wouldn't upset my stomach. Woke up starving and have had a veggie omlette today. Since I didn't eat yesterday, I weighed 235.2 this morning! :noway: Weighed myself twice to make sure I wasn't standing the wrong way on the scale (if I lean forward and put my weight on my toes, it says I weigh less so I have to make sure to center my weight on my heels). I'm not going to log it since its a fluke but it was still really nice to see. Maybe I should go on a yogurt diet for a couple days and see what I lose! just kidding. :laugh:

Have you noticed that since they hid the smilie faces in this new layout that people don't use them as much?? Click the "Add Smiley" button before you start adding a new post and you'll probably use them more often.
  • Nikki143
    Nikki143 Posts: 491 Member
    Hi ladies! Hope everyone is doing well! I have missed you all much!!
    I wasn't working for 3 days, and I am getiing\TRYING to get OVER (lol) this cold. I ahd a bad weekend, but not too bad... & I weighed in w the nutritionist yesterday @ 226.6(12 lbs down from 12-28-09), with clothes at noon tome, So I'm stuck at 224.5 right now... Gotta get my *kitten* on track again!!
    I am working 65 + hours this week, So I will be a MAJOR zombie come Friday.. Although Friday is my day off! Any suggestions for this hectic work week? I don't want to eat out at all cause saturday we had wendy's... I am doing a few 7a-7p & two 5:30a to 7:30p...
  • KendalBeee
    I feel so much better and on track since my laptop was fixed this weekend. I finally have the most recent charts. Let me know if there are errors.

yup Looks good to me! Thanks for keeping up with it!!
  • pinbotchick
    blombie - glad you're feeling better. :drinker: Good luck with the scale. I hope it lasts.

nikki - on my busy work days, I pack food. I generally have 10 to 15 min between my clients and eat a small snack each time (salad, piece of fruit, granola bar, cup of soup, hard boiled egg, etc.) I bet that you have several breaks in your day - you could plan 3 or 4 small meals/snacks for each one (300 cal x 4 breaks = 1200 cal). One days you work crazy hours, do you up your activity level/calories? Going with higher protein foods will keep you feeling full longer. Good luck. Don't work too hard :wink:
  • akasullengal
    Nikki- I agree with pinbot. Pack small snacks. If you eat in small doses throughout the day, it'll make it less likely to eat everything available when you finally get off. Don't let yourself go too long without eating, or it will be very hard to control yourself.

Blombie- I hope you're feeling better! It's always nice to have a lower number, even when one's sick. I imagine in just a day or two, your weight can't be that much off. Aren't you leaving for Disney tomorrow?

cds- glad you're sticking with it (and us!) It's good to try new things. Plus, anyways, it's good to shake your body up a bit every now and then! Let us know how the new regimen is working out!

Pinbot- I can't believe you're already on the last week of c25k! i'm 'SO proud of you! Day 2 of week 4 will be today for me. I will maybe take your suggestion and try and run at a bit quicker a pace, and then have to slow it down if need be. I guess I"ve done it the other way, because I feel better about myself pumping up the speed at the end versus turning it down.

Pub trivia was a blast last night, but the eating wasn't great (veggie burger w/ fries, 1 beer), but I ate pretty well the rest of the day, drank my water, and squeezed in some cardio ballroom in between work and going out. I'm exhausted today, but still plan on hitting up the rec center after work. I'll just try and get to bed early. I'm going to try and make my veggie soup tonight. Should be yummy! Might while I'm making that saute up some veggies with some wild rice that I can have as well as pack for lunch this week.

Hope everyone's Tuesday is going well everyone!
  • Nikki143
    thanks V & K! I have yet to pull a 14 hour day, tomorrow will be the first... & if I starve all day; I WILL devour everything in sight.. But my cabinets are empty & we don't have money till 2-1, so we are making due with what we have.. 100 cal popcorn & chicken breast w brown rice..:tongue: By the time 2-1 comes, I may be sick of chicken breast & brown rice~!! lol
  • Nikki143
    Have fun Blombie!!
  • KendalBeee
    Yup I'm leaving tomorrow morning at 4am :noway: :happy: :noway: :yawn: :yawn: :yawn: to go to Disney World.

Shouldn't have looked at my finances though cause now I'm seriously thinking I need a second job to pay for the extra $300/month student loan payment that I can no longer defer. Joey is going to give me a couple thousand dollars to pay for his part of my credit card debt, but now I'm not sure if I should use it all to pay off 3 of the cards (I have 5 total) or if I should just keep it all in my checking account and continue to make payments. The 3 I would pay off would only save me about $50 a month in total payments. I know in the long run it would be better to pay them off. I just don't know....

When I took my current job 2 years ago, they said I could work from home in a year. About 6 months later they took that option away. Its a 40 minute drive to work each day and I bought a mustang convertible just before I took this job (went from a simple 4 cyclinder to a v6) so I spend WAAAAAAY more in gas than I used to (also only lived about 5 miles away from my last job). Just sucks...

I've tried to take my mind off it all by watching the Shamu Cam on the Seaworld website. Its actually quite peaceful.
  • pinbotchick
    blombie - good luck with your finances and have a great time in Orlando. I'm jealous. I want sunshine and oceans. :drinker:
  • shanerylee
    shanerylee Posts: 298 Member
    im right there with you. I started last saturday. I weighed 238 lbs on Saturday and I feel so bad about it. UGH. I can't wait to weigh myself this weekend. I feel so much better in such a short time.
This discussion has been closed.