Difference between "hanging out" and a "date"

Options
MiniMichelle
MiniMichelle Posts: 807 Member
So, I want to know where people think the separation between "hanging out" with someone of the opposite sex and it being a "date"? I've been having a conversation with a friend and I wanted to see what MFPeeps have to say :happy:

Replies

• dumbbanana
    Options
    Hanging out you don't have sex in the back of the car, or in the bathroom at the restaurant. Dating you do.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    If you have to ask, it's not a date.
  • dumbbanana
    Options

Are you following me?
  • dropdeadgreggie
    Options
    doesnt-matter-had-sex_c_302886.jpg
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options

Are you following me?

You like it.
  • blushingmama
    blushingmama Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    dates come with pressure.

hanging out - no pressure, no expectations, you're free to do what you want without needing to assign a label.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    doesnt-matter-had-sex_c_302886.jpg

:drinker:
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options
    its a date if he wears a suit jacket or tie :P
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    So, I want to know where people think the separation between "hanging out" with someone of the opposite sex and it being a "date"? I've been having a conversation with a friend and I wanted to see what MFPeeps have to say :happy:

Hanging out is what's done by cowards or people who are just hoping for some meaningless sex. Why women put up with it, I'll never understand.
  • Ivy_leaves
    Ivy_leaves Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Dates imply that both parties are putting forth an effort to ultimately have sex with each other.
    Hanging out requires no effort whatsoever, and can include farting, belching, and generally being asinine in front of the other individual.
    /nod
  • blushingmama
    Options

Hanging out is what's done by cowards or people who are just hoping for some meaningless sex. Why women put up with it, I'll never understand.

that's awfully judgmental. maybe the woman doesnt want a relationship, she's happy with having friends and doesnt need the emotional roller coaster. maybe she WANTS sex.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hanging out is what they call it when they don't wanna be seen in public with you.
  • blushingmama
    Options
    weak
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    Hanging out = Expect something like a BJ or handy and possibly actual sex

Date = Sex is expected, preferably some hot and heavy with full VIP access.
  • nphect
    nphect Posts: 474
    Options

that's awfully judgmental. maybe the woman doesnt want a relationship, she's happy with having friends and doesnt need the emotional roller coaster. maybe she WANTS sex.

WHAT , im telling my grandmama
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options

I was asked for my opinion and I gave it. :noway: You have used the internet before, right? :huh:
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I don't know. Sometimes guys ask me if I'd like to have 'coffee' with them. I take this as HANGING OUT, not a date. To me, coffee isn't a date. Coffee is what you do with friends, not dates.

But I've never really figured out what exactly constitutes a date and what doesn't. Especially with fellows you're not already friends with.
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    Honestly... I don't know. Sometimes guys ask me if I'd like to have 'coffee' with them. I take this as HANGING OUT, not a date. To me, coffee isn't a date. Coffee is what you do with friends, not dates.

But I've never really figured out what exactly constitutes a date and what doesn't. Especially with fellows you're not already friends with.

Coffee with someone who is not already a friend is an interview, by the end of which, both parties will know if they want to be friends, to date, or to forget the whole thing.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I used to 'hang out' with a female friend of mine all the time. We could go out for food, watch a movie, explore the island (stationed in Hawai'i at the time), and there was no problems at all.

It all depends on what the people involved really are trying to achieve with whatever situation the two are being put into.

Beware the pie and ice cream date. This is where a guy takes you out for pie/ice cream... if it goes good, it moves on to a movie. If it goes bad... hey, at least you got ice cream :D
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options

Coffee with someone who is not already a friend is an interview, by the end of which, both parties will know if they want to be friends, to date, or to forget the whole thing.

:D That's kind of how I see it too. Haha!