What do you guys do for a living?

Options

Replies

• sandip69
    Options
    Been a doctor for 18 years. It's usually very rewarding (apart from the politics)
  • BeginningNew2012
    Options
    I'm currently a stay at home mom. Starting in January though I will be going back to college for surgical tech. I was in nursing but I wanted more surgical involvement without all the stuff in between.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Do what you love - love what you do.

My words of advice: dont' worry about what you want to do for the 'rest of your life'. Go for something you enjoy, and realize that you'll probably find something you'll enjoy along the way.

I'm currently Dir of Media Services at a small private college. We do classroom and event support which means I get to play with all kinds of electronic toys. I've been doing this, and enjoying it, for 25 yrs + grad school.

But I've also done:

- taught environmental education in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park
    - worked as a laborer for the National Park Service in Shiloh national Military Park and Cape Lookout National Seashore
    - drove a school bus for handicapped children
    - directed a church choir

I guess mostly what I'm saying is - have fun in what you do!
  • mistressfaye
    mistressfaye Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm the QA/QC manager for a forensic engineering company....I still hope to be an archaeologist when I grow up lol
  • redder2
    Options
    Telecommunications manager, basically for our company I handle all things voice and video related.
  • MonkeyBars
    MonkeyBars Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    assassin!

LMAO

Ok, I design software for banks, I'm self-employed and travel to the where the work is. I've lived all over the place and I expect to be relocating soon!
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    business management
  • srawson82
    Options
    I work with people on home dialysis a long way from where started in the Royal Navy but a life on the ocean waves is no life for a mummy :-)
  • eatrainsmile
    eatrainsmile Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am a civil engineer working at a construction site.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    Professional Flatulist.

OK, not really. Custom label printing estimator. I'd love to own my own bike shop or work in a microbrewery, it's just not in the cards right now.
  • Ke11yJo
    Ke11yJo Posts: 141
    Options
    I am a Purchasing Supervisor for a Manufacturing Plant. It can be high stress with JIT purchasing and trying to ensure none of the manufacturing lines go down because we ran out of something.

I have a degree in International Business and fell into procurement with my first job. I would like to get my PMAC Designation but can't really afford to right now. It's not that my position doesn't pay well, it really does, it's that I have two children in University. One is finishing off her undergrad degree in Sociology then starts two more years for her BA in Social Work. The other just started his studies in Criminology then is hoping for Law School.

I am so broke. :laugh:
  • Jross65
    Jross65 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a correctional K9 officer for a state prison for the last 9 years before that restraunt management.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I teach French at secondary school (UK school for age 11-16/18). I work part time as I have 2 young kids.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I'm a graphic artist.
    I get to design packaging, signage, ads, websites, etc. for clients like Home Depot and Lowes. Fun stuff- I get to be creative on a daily basis. If you like the arts, it's an interesting field to get into. I went to college for Fine Arts with focus in digital design and art history (got to travel to Peru for an art history class for 10 days-->awesome!). I loved college because I got to take classes like painting, ceramics, photography, etc - I got to have fun in class and the professors were awesome. I've actually considered getting my masters degree to teach digital design at the college level.... maybe one day :smile:
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    It's usually very rewarding (apart from the politics)

^ I think that applies to every job on earth. Mine at least...
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    I'm a jack of all trades :P

I am a manager of a small bookstore in my town
    I own and run my own Pet Spa
    and I am a professional book reviewer

I am also looking into becoming a certified Yoga Instructor, so pretty soon I can add that to the list!
  • VikkiJL
    VikkiJL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I currently work within the gambling industry, testing content for betting terminals (As found in William Hill etc in the UK). It's not an exciting job, but the people I work with make it bearable.

I got a BSc in Archaeology, and I'm trying my hardest to get into the industry. I'd love nothing more than to squat in muddy trenches, scraping at the rocks with my little trowel! *sigh of longing*
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I am a case manager at a children's stabilization unit. I work with children in crisis situation to help stabilize them prior to returning to the community.
  • cathleencan
    Options
    part time admin associate and SAT/ACT exam prep English tutor
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Work in sales, make fairly decent money and am very comfy but getting bored. Need to move jobs soon me thinks... but all the things in the area like fireservice, police etc are all not recruiting!