Post your useless trivia

Cameron_1969
Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,855 Member
That last topic I posted was silly. This one is not as silly. . .

Unfortunately I got nothin'. . It's up to you guys. . give me some trivia!

Replies

• The Galjoen is South Africa's national fish.

Is that the type of trivia you are after?
  • Cameron_1969
    Perfect!

A coelacanth was caught off the coast of South Africa in the 30's. . they were assumed extinct until then. .
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    The icosohedron is the most complex of the five Platonic solids. It is made up of twenty equaliteral triangles. The other four are the tetrahedron (four equalateral triangles), cube (six squares), octahedron (eight equalateral triangles), and dodecahedron (twelve pentagons). There are no other solids that can be made from a single repeated perfect shape.
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    It's not butter.
  • SeaRunner26
    Table salt is made of sodium, a soft metal, and chlorine, a toxic gas.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    benjamin franklin had wooden teeth.
  • Cameron_1969
    In those salt water pools . . they extract the chlorine from the salt to 'chlorinate' the water. . .what happens to the sodium. .because that **** will KILL YOU!
  • kinrsa
    kinrsa Posts: 111 Member
    Opossums don't carry rabies because their body temps are too hot to support it. They eat cockroaches, snakes & spiders. They don't typically hang from their tails in trees (but babies might).

Learned that when an an orphaned opossum decided to take up residence in/around my house. My worthless hunting dog loved it. I'm glad the dog didn't attack the poor baby, but when I thought it was a rat I was highly pissed at the dog for sitting there while it ran across the room.
  • SeaRunner26
    In those salt water pools . . they extract the chlorine from the salt to 'chlorinate' the water. . .what happens to the sodium. .because that **** will KILL YOU!

Actually, if you put pure sodium, the metal, in water, it will catch fire and dance across the surface until it's fully oxidized (combusted). Truth is stranger than fiction!
  • Cameron_1969
    Alligators are dinosaurs. .They haven't changed significantly for 200 million years. .
  • Cameron_1969

Actually, if you put pure sodium, the metal, in water, it will catch fire and dance across the surface until it's fully oxidized (combusted). Truth is stranger than fiction!

cool. . chemistry. . :). . so the sodium is probably dissolved (oxidized) and then, what, caught up in the filter?
  • SeaRunner26
    No, when you mix salt (any kind of salt but for this example table salt (sodium chloride) ) with water, the salt splits appart into sodium and chlorine ions. In that form, they're safe us. If the water is allowed to evaporte, the ions recombine and you're left with salt cyrstals.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    the origin of waving hands to say hello began in the time of the wild west when men would approach other men on horse back and wave their hand to show they didn't have a gun in it
  • Cameron_1969
    The entire movie Star Wars took place over the course of one or two days. . lol. Farm boy to galactic hero in two days!
  • kealambert
    statistically speaking, 1/12 dominicans are born hermaphroditic
  • Cameron_1969
    statistically speaking, 1/12 dominicans are born hermaphroditic

What!? Why?
  • kealambert
    I don't know how well-supported that last piece of trivia is*
  • Cameron_1969
    I don't know how well-supported that last piece of trivia is*

You just made that *kitten* up. . didn't you! NO MAKING *kitten* UP! lol.
  • SeaRunner26
    The sex of an alligator is based on the tempearture of the egg. If the egg incubates at or less than 85 F, it will be female. If the incubation is at or above 91 F, it will be male. At about 89 F, there's an equal chance of it being male or female.
  • kealambert
    according to string theory, there is a possibility (profoundly minimal as it may be) to walk through a solid object