Giving blood :)

Options
13»

Replies

• LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    hhmm you just gave me a good idea..i use to donate blood all the time.... but im in a couple weight loss contests..go in and give blood before i weigh in..lol
  • tigerlinly
    tigerlinly Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I'm going on Sunday..they have refused the last few days because my iron was too low (they require 14) but I have been taking supplements so we will see.

in my area the iron needs to be 12.5
  • robsgurl
    robsgurl Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I donate every chance I get. I just donated last week...so I got to wait a little bit before I can donate again. It helps that the red cross calls me to set up an appointment.
  • mnishi
    mnishi Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I used to give blood all the time. Until Lifesource started harassing me, calling me from a blocked number repeatedly and not leaving one message. I'd get calls at 9 at night, 9 on a Sunday morning, 4 or 5 calls a day. They finally stopped harassing me the tenth time I asked them to remove me from their list. If there's another company in the area I'd be happy to donate again. Nut Lifesource sucks!
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I am Oneg - the universal donor - so I give as often as possible. My plasma saves babies! :happy:
  • hellonheels88
    hellonheels88 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just scheduled my next donation for November 14th!!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    On Halloween 2000 I passed out in public and split my scalp open. Came to the hospital needed 4 units of blood to be safe enough for an operation to stop the source of my bleeding problem (the reason I passed out). After my year of deferral passed I made sure to be a regular donor in honor of the people who were there for me. 44 donations have gone by since then (5.5 gallons) and I hope to be able to donate many more.

Thank you donors. You rock. :flowerforyou:

BTW, I see there are other bone marrow registry folks here too. Yeah! For the rest, it's simply a cheek swab. Please consider joining the registry.
  • gmpuggles
    gmpuggles Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I first donated to get over my fear of needles years ago then I hadn't for a while. I started donating on a regular basis last year when a cousin's daughter had to go through surgery and chemo, thinking that if a kid could go through all that then my fear of needles is pretty trivial. I'll probably donate until I can't anymore. Oh, and I also recently joined the Bone Marrow Registry too.
  • Laurayinz
    Laurayinz Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I stopped years ago. I'm not afraid of needles or injections. My veins are small and they roll around. The phlebotomists come at me with those firehose needles, have me levitating on the table in pain as they dig the needle around looking for my widdle vein, which they perforate. Sorry, they chirp, and then they do it in the other arm. I end up with huge painful bruises on both arms.

'Not this time, these people are experts, they know what they are doing!" I am told.

After a certain number of identical iterations, I finally wised up and stopped succumbing to peer pressure.

Many people do it with no problem, and I'm glad of it, it's a great program.
    Same here, donating is pretty awful for me for the same reasons. My veins are deep and they can't find them or keep the needle in a good spot. I'm not afraid of needles, but I nearly fainted from their digging around efforts. :sick: When I have to get blood drawn for testing, they have to use the one that's on the outer part of my elbow, and that goes very easily. I don't know how well that one would work for a pint though.
  • Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I'm going on Sunday..they have refused the last few days because my iron was too low (they require 14) but I have been taking supplements so we will see.

in my area the iron needs to be 12.5

I'm the the UK