the fake 'I'm so fat' comments

Options
14567810»

Replies

• SkinnyWannabeGal
    SkinnyWannabeGal Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Story about 2 different women who do this around me and well, everyone else.

I know a woman who is 5 feet tall and weighs 90 pounds. She is flat as a board in the front and back. She constantly complains that she is so fat, but then the next moment she's boasting about how she's so skinny that she can fit clothes in the children's department. She says that she's fat on a daily basis and then laughs about how so many 9 year olds are fatter or bigger than her. I used to respond to her with, "you have fat?? WHERE?! In you pinky toe maybe? Where do you hide it because I don't see it??" And she would just smile.

I also have a friend who is 5 feet 5 inches tall and weighs 90 pounds. She is also completely flat in the front and back and resembles a string bean. The poor girl says she's fat, but the sad thing is that she truly believes that she is fat because she is a newlywed and her new husband started calling her fat after their wedding. I was astonished to find this out. She was complaining about her non-existent fat so I sat her down and asked her why she feels this way and that's how I found out that her husband (and even her mother) was calling her fat and telling her to lose weight.

And after having a heart-to-heart talk with the 5 foot tall 90 pound woman whom I first mentioned, I learned that her husband too was calling her fat and was making her feel embarassed and guilty about eating during meals by making nasty comments to her. She knows that she is very small compared to almost everyone else, but when someone she loves makes her feel otherwise, like her husband, she sometimes starts to believe it.

Maybe some women who complain about being fat might know deep down that they're truly not gigantic, but they need to hear it from others because they might know someone who does tell them that they're fat and then they might slowly start to wonder and eventually believe that they are fat.

Just what I've seen from personal experience.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing :)
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    You guys ever think that the word "fat" is completely subjective and therefore has no true definition or limit, and therefore someone's idea of fat may not be the same as yours? Jesus.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    You guys ever think that the word "fat" is completely subjective and therefore has no true definition or limit, and therefore someone's idea of fat may not be the same as yours? Jesus.

You mean people have different opinions? Pssh, get out of here with your logic.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

Sorry, I'll just crawl back under my rock where I'm allowed to voice my insecurities about my body and not be publicly slaughtered for it.

• FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    this thread is going places
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options

Sorry, I'll just crawl back under my rock where I'm allowed to voice my insecurities about my body and not be publicly slaughtered for it.

It's probably for the best. Can't be going around making people feel things about themselves - it just ain't decent!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    Options

It's probably for the best. Can't be going around making people feel things about themselves - it just ain't decent!

Yeah, I guess I really should feel responsible for everyone else's self worth and monitor my own opinions and musings accordingly. -le sigh-
  • buttercupcakegina
    buttercupcakegina Posts: 34 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    reeves45 wrote: »
    Everyone has a different "definition" of fat. I'm now, after my journey, am 5'11 and 148. I'm not fat what so ever (my BMI is 20 and my BF% is 21). Actually I weigh less now than I did in HS. But there are days I feel fatter and heavier than I did at 190 (beginning weight). Everyone has the right to think whatever they think of themselves. I'm sorry if us average size women's opinions of themselves annoy you, but it is what it is.

Wow, harsh. Frankly, maybe you should be aware of the folks around you and refrain speaking about feeling overweight around obviously over weight people. Seems you are just a tad bit smug.

It is no one's responsibility to make you feel warm and fuzzy. If someone making an off-hand remark while having a "fat" day (maybe during a woman's TOM) or due to BDD makes you feel insecure about yourself, either do something about it or grow a thicker skin. It's ridiculous to feel the need to police what comes out of someone else's mouth. Mind your own business.

This, but likewise if you are a person who complains about being fat to people "fatter" than yourself, it's not their repsonibiltiy to make you feel better by saying "Oh no, you're fine". You should be open to the suggestion that you DO need to lose weight, or exercise more etc.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    What about people with body dysmorphia who actually need to lose weight? We can't say they do?

:wink:

I've read this whole thread and I have no opinion whatsoever. It depends on how well you know the person.