Were You A Fat Child?

Options

Replies

• Fat2Fit145
    Fat2Fit145 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yep...was a fat kid..... about age 13 or 14 i was up to 190..... went down to 150ish when i left high school... went back up to 198 at my heighest ever in 2011.... 190 when i started in september, and im now 170... goal is 145 and im gonna reach it and NOT put the weight back on :)
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Not in the least. I was always very thin. My prom dress in 12th grade was a size 4, and i weighed about 135, with C-D cup breasts. Oh yeah, I was that thin girl that actually had boobs, if I hadn't been so shy and bookworm-ish (this was before being a "nerd" was cool), I could have really had the guys! lol Then I went to college, and suddenly I could eat all that stuff that my mom only allowed occasionally. So, out came the sodas, pizzas, chips and chocolate! Went from 135 to 220! Ouch.
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I was average weight my whole life. I always thought I was fat though. Then once I quit smoking & kept eating whatever I wanted and not working out I started gaining.

With that said I am so thakful for mfp.
  • jacquelyn_erika
    jacquelyn_erika Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    OMG, yes. I was a fat kid...for as long as I can remember. I got made fun of in school, blah blah blah. I developed boobs in like 3rd grade (they're smaller now than they were then, wtf) and got my period at TEN YEARS OLD. I was always overweight. Looking back, I know why(at least partially)... my parents were divorced, we lived with my dad full time, we ate fast food on the regular. There was always junk food around, I had NO idea what smart food choices were.

My mom apologizes to me from time to time for my upbringing with food. She says if she knew then what she knew now, it would've been totally different. I don't think anyone is to blame, but man... if I could start all over, I wouldn't even be in this predicament!
  • justinchobo
    justinchobo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Not in the beginning I wasn't. But soon after my parents divorce I started to gain weight. that was in 3rd grade. I started to get tubby. Some people in my grade gave me the nick name "jelly roll". Didn't realize that they were making fun of me till I grew up....*kitten*. Then when I went into high school I joined the football and wrestling teams. I would say I got fit. I was not skinny but i was tone/muscular. I was in a good place. But then after high school with no one to push me I got lazy and ballooned up to 309. Now I am down to 274.6 and on my way to be at my goal of 200. :)
  • Suzyqall72
    Options
    I don't remember weighing under 200. Seems like I woke up at 12 and I weighed 240 and wore men's 42 jeans. My mom used to tell me that she would give me $100 to lose weight. I would lose 25, 40 pounds whatever, on a crazy diet, but I never lost enough to get the money.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I was just normal as a child I guess, not one of the skinniest kids, but not fat either, and I was pretty much the height I am now (5'6") when I was about 11. I put on loads of weight as a teenager, despite not eating much and still exercising, and lost it all when I started university. I put it on again when I was about 27, lost it for my wedding at 30, and then put on weight in both pregnancies, and now i can do up trousers I haven't worn since I was 25!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    Just curious as to how many people here started out life as an overweight child. Did you?

I was a chubby kid, but lost it all by age 12 and stayed at goal weight until after I had my last baby 13 years ago. I don't recall doing anything exrtraordinary to lose my early childhood "baby fat"....maybe I just grew out of it, I don't know. But I DO remember the schoolyard teasing..."Fatty Fatty Two By Four, can't get through the bathroom door"....wow, kids sure can be mean.

I've been morbidly obese my entire life. I remember being 171 pounds at the age of just seven years old. I'm now 294 pounds at eighteen years old.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    Nope.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    I was always very very skinny. I remember being 115 pounds at my high school graduation at 5'11". Put a little on as I got older and had kids but only got as high as 145 lbs. till about 15 years ago when I had to do loads of steroids for MS. I would go into remission and lose all the weight and then a couple years later have a relapse and need massive IV steroids followed with prenisone for 18 days to taper off and gain it all back. Then meds were switched and the weight kept coming on. Finally off those meds and trying to lose it all yet again. This time is the hardest because I gained the most ever after the last relapse. Plus my age and perimenopause aren't helping matters much. I still don't have the energy that I had when I was younger thanks to the MS so I'm not able to work it off as easily anymore.
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I definitely was. I remember my mom having to shop in the Pretty Plus section that they had in Sears, and I was very young then.

I have always been overweight, minus one period of about 5 years when I lost a significant amount of weight with WW and kept it off for a while.

Pretty Plus! LOL I was just racking my brain last night trying to remember that label for plus size girls clothes that I used to have to buy.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I was not, I started gaining weight the summer between my jr high and sr high school years...
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Yep, I've been overweight my entire life. I'm 27, and it all started probably around the age of 6-7. I wasn't a big baby, I was quite small, and I was a small toddler, so I'd say elementary school up until today I've been overweight. It definitely runs in my family, though I would not use that excuse for myself. We don't have a thin person in our family...lol.. I picked up bad eating habits from my parents and carried that right up through to adulthood, so it is my own fault. I started my journey the beginning of May, and I'm currently down 38 lbs. I'm hoping to be at my goal by next fall, which would be a 115 lb loss. I've never been thin or a healthy weight, so I am very excited to see what it's like!!!!!! :)
  • kirstenw1983
    Options
    I have always been fat, got to a more acceptable size between 16 - 19 but then got to being fat again.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Just curious as to how many people here started out life as an overweight child. Did you?

I was a chubby kid, but lost it all by age 12 and stayed at goal weight until after I had my last baby 13 years ago. I don't recall doing anything exrtraordinary to lose my early childhood "baby fat"....maybe I just grew out of it, I don't know. But I DO remember the schoolyard teasing..."Fatty Fatty Two By Four, can't get through the bathroom door"....wow, kids sure can be mean.

I've been morbidly obese my entire life. I remember being 171 pounds at the age of just seven years old. I'm now 294 pounds at eighteen years old.

Were you tall? Are your parents big? I do think at that age it is a parent's responsibility to make sure their kids are a healthy weight.

I am definitely going to encourage my 2 kids to eat well and exercise, I'd feel so guilty if they were overweight.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

Were you tall? Are your parents big? I do think at that age it is a parent's responsibility to make sure their kids are a healthy weight.

I am definitely going to encourage my 2 kids to eat well and exercise, I'd feel so guilty if they were overweight.

Nope. I'm very short, just over five feet tall. I had a lot going on in my childhood and my mom had more problems than she could handle. I followed in her footsteps of comfort-eating to ease the pain.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    No, I was really tall and skinny until about age 10 or 11, then I started getting chubby. My highest weight was when I was 15 or 16. I was 190lbs.
  • Amanda21202
    Amanda21202 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I was thin as a child until puberty hit me in my teens :( then all the weight piled on!
    I remember becoming obsessed with my weight around 17 years old I was 11.3 stone and felt disgusting!
    Long story short - 21 years old 10.3 stone borderline 'normal' weight for my height. Age 22 by the end of pregnancy 13.7 stone!!
    Now 8 months later im back to the same weight I was when I was 17 and it feels just as hard now as it did then :(
  • pandoraw
    pandoraw Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I was at a normal weight until I reached 11 yrs. I don’t remember being a normal weight. I am 52 yrs old and haven’t weighed less than 200 lbs since I was 22.
  • twingirlsmommy
    twingirlsmommy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    yes : ( up to the 260's as a teen and about 200 pounds since I was 12, my lowest adult weight was 210, size 12-14