anyone know anything about chia seeds?!?

Options
anarose13
anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
my mom gets into fad diets, the latest one is chia seeds. apparently there great for your health but we now have two great big bags of them and she has lost interest already. so, the question is what can i make with them and how can i work them into the family diet without a lot of effort?

Replies

• anarose13
    anarose13 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    anyone? anything? maybe?
  • Dsmcgrail
    Options
    I just read this the other day, seems worth trying them out. Good luck. Keep us posted how they are!

http://www.fleetfeetstlouis.com/news/chia-seeds?utm_source=Flyer+#91+-+10/17/12&utm_campaign=Flyer&utm_medium=email
  • superkel317
    Options
    All I know about chia seeds is that you can get a spiffy chia pet out of them. LOL Not very helpful, but that's what I know. Haha
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    They are extremely good for you! Just google it :)

I add them to overnight oats, any baking I do, I drink them in water, sprinkle them on salads...use them as you would any other seed!
  • SPBROOKS68
    SPBROOKS68 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I love them on my salads, don't know about the health benefits but they are good just to snack on. Much better than flax seeds.
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    One of my MFP friends uses them. I'll copy the thread to her - maybe she'll have some suggestions....
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    for the past 6 months I have added 2 TBSP of Chia seeds every day to my morning smoothie according to the dietitian it helps lower your bad cholesterol
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I've read that they are incredibly nutrious. The main way I've heard of people using them is by adding a tablespoon or two into a smoothie or juice. The seeds retain fluid and "plump" up when you add them to liquid so they thicken whatever you put them in. I've been considering buying them, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Good luck!! :)
  • mdonovan
    Options
    Grind them up and put them in anything. Smoothies, soup, bit on your cereal, in your yogurt, whatever you can think of. They take on the taste of the other food, so you don't even notice them.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    my mom gets into fad diets, the latest one is chia seeds. apparently there great for your health but we now have two great big bags of them and she has lost interest already. so, the question is what can i make with them and how can i work them into the family diet without a lot of effort?

You can add them to:

salads
    dips
    muffins
    yogurt
    and lots of other things too I am sure...
  • jules159
    jules159 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I put them in my oatmeal every morning. I mix quick oats, almond milk, half a banana, cinnamon and chia seeds. Shake it up in a sealed container and in an hour it's ready to eat. I make it before work and eat it after I get there. The chia seeds swell up in the liquid and form kind of a gel consistency around them. They don't have any taste. I stay full all morning eating this.
  • SPBROOKS68
    Options
    Grind them up and put them in anything. Smoothies, soup, bit on your cereal, in your yogurt, whatever you can think of. They take on the taste of the other food, so you don't even notice them.

They do not have to be ground up
  • Lize11e
    Lize11e Posts: 419
    Options
    Mix them with dirt and make a paste and spread it on a garden statue. :bigsmile: I apologize, I couldn't resist. lol
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    Yes, I've been using chia seeds for awhile. They're a great source of fatty acids, fiber, and other nutrients, and they're not as estrogenic as flax seed. I grind them up and use in my breakfast smoothie to help my digestive system.
  • Jlynb1109
    Jlynb1109 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Here's an article that should help: http://www.veria.com/healing/the-many-benefits-of-chia-seeds

I throw a tablespoon of them in my protein shakes but there are various ways to enjoy them.
  • ChitownFoodie
    ChitownFoodie Posts: 1,562 Member
    Options
    I soak them overnight, then throw them in my protein shakes or oatmeal. They are high in Omega-3 and fiber. If you eat them without soaking, then end up expanding in your stomach. I am not joking! So you feel fuller.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I had been looking at adding them to my meals to help with my hdl & ldl cholesterol which I read they would... that and flax seeds... I now take flax seed capsules along with fish oil and omega-3... doc wants me to have 6-8g of omega-3 a day...
  • arrawyn79
    arrawyn79 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    i just got the dregs of a bag from a coworker to try them out and i love them! according to the bag they are full of omega 3 and 6 fatty acids, high in fibre, have calcium and protein! i've been adding them to my overnight oats and oatmeal, and in my protein shakes and even making them into a 'pudding' (because they kind of plump up and become gel-like) with fresh fruit! we also buy a loaf from a bakery chain here that has a 'chia bread' with the seeds throughout and they add a nice crunch and flavour.

the seeds i use are called Tru Roots and it said to check out their website for recipes/ideas...

hope that helps!
  • cloe31
    cloe31 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Add chia seeds in coconut milk and a little bit of sweetner and heat. It will thicken up and it makes like a pudding. Really good!!