anyone know anything about chia seeds?!?

Options

Replies

• Fitorbust73
    Fitorbust73 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I started using Chia seeds about 3 weeks ago --- I love these little seeds. You DO NOT NEED to grind them you can have them as is (unlike flax). They plump up to 10 times there size and work great for thickening things (as opposed to starch or potatoes or cream). They have a great amount of fibre as well as the Omega acids that we all need... My dietician suggested I start using them -- I have them in a glass of water morning and night...LOVE THEM
  • denezy
    denezy Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    I make my own granola and protein bars and put them in. Great in oatmeal and any kind of baking, really. Just keep some dental floss on hand. :)
  • Sweetsugar0424
    Sweetsugar0424 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have been eating chia seeds in my yogurt almost daily since December after doing some research. I had a couple friends try to push them on me so I did some research and the thing that really triggered my interest is that I had a whole bunch of episodes of migraines last year and they were becoming so frequent that my doctor prescribed meds to help minimize them, but I am not a fan of medications long term so when I read that others found their headaches go away, I decided to try it. I have now been migraine-free since December 27.

There are SO many benefits to chia seeds and I recommend doing a good search on chia recipes for baking. I've actually made scones using chia seeds as an egg supplement and they were REALLY good!

Do your research, you won't be sorry.

ETA: I buy my chia seeds at Costco...they are organic and might be cheaper than a health food store...
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I have been eating chia seeds in my yogurt almost daily since December after doing some research. I had a couple friends try to push them on me so I did some research and the thing that really triggered my interest is that I had a whole bunch of episodes of migraines last year and they were becoming so frequent that my doctor prescribed meds to help minimize them, but I am not a fan of medications long term so when I read that others found their headaches go away, I decided to try it. I have now been migraine-free since December 27.

There are SO many benefits to chia seeds and I recommend doing a good search on chia recipes for baking. I've actually made scones using chia seeds as an egg supplement and they were REALLY good!

Do your research, you won't be sorry.

ETA: I buy my chia seeds at Costco...they are organic and might be cheaper than a health food store...

I never even realized.... my migraines have all but left too since using them. I might still wake with one but those used to have me down for the day, now I just take an excedrine when it happens and I'm solid. I never put it together, was just waiting for them to return from their vacation...
  • JeremyMiH
    Options
    I'd echo everything that everyone else has said. Great benefits like Omega 3s and feeling fuller, and you can add them to pretty much anything without it really altering the taste at all. Really quite versatile. We make both granola and cereal with Chia Seeds: louisesfoods.com/chia-seed-granola.
  • lafresita
    Options
    I make sugar free Jam (jelly) with them: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/06/26/magical-blueberry-vanilla-chia-seed-jam/ Just substitute maple syrup with stevia for reduced sugar

And Pancakes: http://grainfreegroupie.blogspot.com.au/2012/03/chia-protein-pancakes.html I substitute the coconut flour with half a mashed banana and soak the chia seeds in almond milk for 5 mins before

And chocolate chia pudding: http://ohsheglows.com/2012/01/11/healthy-chocolate-chia-pudding/ or http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/chocolate-carob-chia-pudding-dairy-free-sugar-free/

I always keep a jar of 'chia gel' i.e. chia seeds soaked in water (ratio 1:10) ready to add to smoothies/breakfast etc. as it is easier to digest and obtain the full nutrients.
  • notmac
    notmac Posts: 89
    Options
    interesting
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I add them to my yogurt every morning. Have also added it to smoothies and baking. Tossed it on/in rice plain or pilaf and stirfries.
    If you have pintrest do a search you will find some great recipes. I found these two that I havent tried yet but they looked easy and yummy

Raspberry Coconut Chia Puddin Pops
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2012/08/raspberry-coconut-chia-pudding-pops.html

Pumpkin Spice Chia Pudding
    http://www.greenplaterule.com/recipes/pumpkin-spice-chia-pudding/
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options

Saw them there once and never picked them up now cause I want to buy them I cant find them. I still keep looking in the hopes I can get them there cause they were far cheaper most the places I saw. Grrrr!!!

And the migraine thing I get them too and have noticed an improvement. When I take the chia regularly. Never even thought about it before. :) Looks like them things will be a constant companion in my purse when traveling.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I put them on everything - morning oats, in yoghurt, on top of fruit, on cooked chicken breast, in smoothies and stir frys. They are extremely versatile and you can't taste them. :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I had them for breakfast this morning.

I mashed half a ripe banana, added some liquid egg white and fluffed that together, sprinkled on some ground chia seed. Stirred well, blast in a microwave for a minute or so. Turns out like a sort of pancake.

It would be nice with a sprinkle of cinnamon, or a drop of vanilla essence.
  • csi4us
    csi4us Posts: 74
    Options
    I started using Chia seeds about 3 weeks ago --- I love these little seeds. You DO NOT NEED to grind them you can have them as is (unlike flax). They plump up to 10 times there size and work great for thickening things (as opposed to starch or potatoes or cream). They have a great amount of fibre as well as the Omega acids that we all need... My dietician suggested I start using them -- I have them in a glass of water morning and night...LOVE THEM

So do you feel full after your morning glass of water with the chia seeds. I have read, because they expand you don't feel hungry. Is that correct?:drinker:
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    No cook refrigerator oatmeal. You don't really taste them, but they absorb excess liquid and give the oatmeal a yogurty texture.

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I use them in my oatmeal. It makes it thicker.
  • sunnshhiine
    sunnshhiine Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I bought a small back of them recently. You can put them in yogurt, smoothies, fresh juices, etc. they are really good for you.
  • LordBear
    LordBear Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    make your own chia pet?
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I had bought a bag (at Trader Joe's) and had only eaten them once in my salad. That was yummy but was eating yogurt when I read this and decided to add a half tbsp. to it. I found another way to eat them! It was delicious - 1/2 c. plain greek yogurt, 1/2 c. blueberries, 1/4 serving vanilla whey protein powder, 1 tbsp ground flax meal and 1/2 tbsp. chia seeds.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    You can use them for many things but I use them mainly for yogurt and smoothies.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • jenngi620
    Options
    Ok, so where can I get them? I've been looking but can't find them locally. Does a regular grocery carry them? Are they usually packaged in a bag, box, packet? I saw the post about Costco, but I don't have a membership. :(