Coffee coffee coffee! Is it packing on the pounds?

Options
Large double double please!! Im addicted to coffee. And I just cant drink it with milk or skim milk instead of cream..Just cant stand the taste! I try to make it at home instead of going to Tim Hortons but it doesnt help having the place across the street. How much is coffee effecting my weight loss? I drink about 2-4 a day

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    It's certainly not gonna help..it's surprising how the little things in tea, coffee add up...
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you're putting two tablespoons of half and half into each coffee, at 40 calories, then you are adding between 80 and 160 calories per day through cream.

Why are you drinking so much coffee? Are you tired or do you just enjoy it? If you are tired, better nutrition and more sleep could solve that issue.
  • CINDYRN33
    CINDYRN33 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Could you try the flavored coffee and then use less creamer??? I have a keurig and they have tons of flavors you can buy samples and try them out many are so yummmmy.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Jenny_Taylia Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    If you're putting two tablespoons of half and half into each coffee, at 40 calories, then you are adding between 80 and 160 calories per day through cream.

Im having a hard time getting the calories. My problem isnt that I eat too much is that i dont eat enough and when I do eat its junk. I had two visalus shakes yesterday 2 coffees and dinner and still only got up to 800 ish cals. :S

Very tired 24/7 and very low energy...I have 4 little ones and the baby doesnt go to sleep until around midnight and then I finally get my ¨me time¨ for an hour. I need to fix that I know.

If I go a while without coffee I get a bad migraine and by the 3rd sip of coffee the migraine is gone.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options

Im having a hard time getting the calories. My problem isnt that I eat too much is that i dont eat enough and when I do eat its junk. I had two visalus shakes yesterday 2 coffees and dinner and still only got up to 800 ish cals. :S
    Then I wouldn't worry about the coffee. Trading in those shakes for some real food would probably help.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee with cream everyday, but as for double doubles and triple triples at Tim Hortons, I would watch how many you drink. My boyfriend brought me home a large double double the other day, and when I logged it, it was 270 cals....that's a small meal! haha.
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options

Then I wouldn't worry about the coffee. Trading in those shakes for some real food would probably help.

I literally just started visalus yesterday and before that I wouldnt even eat breakfast or lunch.
  • gddrdld
    gddrdld Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    Confused as to why you are even asking this question then. You just said you are taking in about 800 cals per day....This question makes no sense taking this into consideration.
  • kd_mazur
    kd_mazur Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    If you can't stand the taste of black coffee but you must have some with sugar and cream each day then I don't really think it's the coffee you are adicted to. SOunds like an addiction to either the caffine or the sugar and cream you are putting in it. Perhaps it's just the habit you have formed around the drinking of coffee, like maybe you feel like you need it each morning on your drive to work or while you get ready in the morning.
    Many people here subscribe to the idea that if it fits into the cals and macros for the day then do it. If that is true for you then drink up:drinker:
    If you are concerned about the additional cals from the cream and sugar, maybe you can cut it back a bit or switch to some other low cal caffine beverage.

I am a several cup a day coffee drinker for about 15 years- I love black coffee:)
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This post should be Cream cream cream! Is it packing on the pounds?

Coffee has very few calories. Would you have a bowl of ice cream every morning and expect to lose weight?

(Note: I know there are people out there who eat ice cream every day and still lose weight.)
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    With as low as your calories are, I would suggest having a glass of cream with a little coffee added. You need to get some calories. More calories will help give you more energy.
  • Kebby83
    Kebby83 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Just drink it without cream/milk. And I mean, be persistant. You will drink it this way and you will like it.

It's what I did. And now sometimes I put some milk in or go and get a skinny vanilla latte or something (like once in the past 6 months) and it was a nice treat.

I am sat here drinking coffee without anything for 0 cals. Woman up. ;)
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    9 calories in a 12oz cup of black coffee
  • Jenny_Taylia
    Options
    Confused as to why you are even asking this question then. You just said you are taking in about 800 cals per day....This question makes no sense taking this into consideration.

Actually...I didnt anywhere say Im taking in 800 cals a day...I said that was yesterday. Ive never counted calories before so Im just trying to teach myself how to eat like I should instead of ONLY when Im hungry. If quitting drinking coffee will show significant results then Im all for stopping drinkin it.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Coffee won’t affect your weight loss at all, since it has no calories. In fact, the slight metabolism boost from the caffeine could even help. But the stuff you put it could hurt if it is high calorie. Calories are calories whether you drink them or eat them.
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    ha ha.............you do what you gotta do.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I think you could cut back, and see benefits. I've seen results from cutting out coffee entirely (I like mine with cream and sugar) but not directly related to weight loss. I sleep better when I don't drink coffee, and therefore have more energy to both exercise and more excitement about making healthy choices in my diet.
  • jwilson3787
    Options
    Before I started watching what I ate I used like three tablespoons of sugar and alot of cream.... until I noticed what the sugar was doing to my numbers I then started just drinking my coffee black for a week and I take two tablespoons of cream and it's 40 cals. and 4 g fat... it's not the best but it's way better then the sugar and then theres some days I won't even have coffee which is weird for me I would start by getting rid of the sugar and then start taking less and less of cream...
  • mulderpf
    mulderpf Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Interesting name...

You only started this yesterday and already lost 3 lb - how can you already be pinpointing stuff that's hampering your weight-loss?
  • breezedaze
    breezedaze Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    If you didn't eat before..and you're adding shakes to boost nutrition/eat...then add some stuff to those shakes! The sugar isn't good for you of course, but not because of the calories..it just isn't good.

Give it a week...see how it goes before you start working on the coffee. Doesn't sound like, with your overall too low caloric intake, it's much of a problem.

I drink 3 coffees a day but only have about a tbsp of cream...I count it.