Ingredients

3 tbsp whole wheat flour
    4.5 cups chicken stock
    2 8 oz. packages mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
    1 potato, large dice
    1 tbsp light butter (optional)
    3/4 c lentils
    Directions:

Place 1 cup of chicken stock and flour in a blender and blend until smooth; pour into a medium pot and set heat to medium.

Add additional stock, potato, mushrooms, lentils and butter and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until vegetables and lentils are soft, about 25-30 minutes. (You can always add more lentils if you'd like; and if you're concerned about sodium use a low or no-sodium stock)

And lentil salad:

Ingredients:
    Salad
    3/4 cup dried lentils
    1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (other nuts would probably work too; whatever you have around the house)
    1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes
    1 celery stalk
    1/2 cup feta cheese (optional- I don't add because I'm not a feta fan)
    Dressing:
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    Juice from one lemon
    2 teaspoons honey
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions:
    Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
    Toast walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly browned. Chop walnuts. Halve grapes. Cut celery into thin slices. Combine all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
    To make dressing, whisk red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey together. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and mix. Season with fine grain sea salt, if desired.

Enjoy!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    http://www.skinnytaste.com/2009/01/lentil-and-chicken-soup-3-pts.html

Made this for my husband with whole wheat rolls. He LOVED it! Definite make-again!
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Greek lentil soup :)

Lentil mediterranean dip :)

Lentil pattys :)
  • SNBedford
    Options
    I eat lentil salad. Basially what I do is cook the lentis. Then I chop up what ever veggies I want to use. I usually do carrots, onions, and celery. Then mix that with the cook lentils and some Italian dressing. I put that in a pita pocket and top it with feta cheese. It's awesome and it keeps for about a week.
  • ravenforest3009
    ravenforest3009 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Lentils are great. I have them almost every day in all sorts and shapes.
    In soups, in stews, side dishes and salads.....

A good site for healthy recipes is the magazine healthy eating or just Google.

Just remember to use lots of spice and herbs. Plain lentils or not properly cooked are not very nice and that puts a lot of people off.

My favourite are puy lentils - warm or cold as a salad. Tastes great and fills you up for a long time (less snacking).
    Try an Indian dhal - wonderful red or yellow lentil side dish (or soup) with lots of lovely spices.
  • SouthernArt77
    SouthernArt77 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Black Bean, Lentil, and Brown Rice Burrito Fillin'

Introduction
    Awesome meat-free, protein and fiber packed filling for tacos or burritos. Can also be eaten alone with a little fat free sour cream and cheese on top. Adapted from ANEWONE's lentils and rice recipe.

Minutes to Prepare: 10
    Minutes to Cook: 40
    Number of Servings: 6

Ingredients
    3/4 canned black beans, rinsed
    3/4 dry pink lentils
    3/4 dry brown rice
    1/2 yellow onion, chopped
    3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    1/4 cup salsa
    1 tbsp taco seasoning

Directions
    Mix all ingredients and bring to a boil in a large saucepan. Lower heat and let simmer about forty minutes, or until rice is cooked through.

Makes six approximately 1 cup servings.

Number of Servings: 6
    This sounds really good. Thanks!
  • SouthernArt77
    Options
    I make mushroom lentil soup:

Ingredients

3 tbsp whole wheat flour
    4.5 cups chicken stock
    2 8 oz. packages mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
    1 potato, large dice
    1 tbsp light butter (optional)
    3/4 c lentils
    Directions:

Place 1 cup of chicken stock and flour in a blender and blend until smooth; pour into a medium pot and set heat to medium.

Add additional stock, potato, mushrooms, lentils and butter and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until vegetables and lentils are soft, about 25-30 minutes. (You can always add more lentils if you'd like; and if you're concerned about sodium use a low or no-sodium stock)

And lentil salad:

Ingredients:
    Salad
    3/4 cup dried lentils
    1/2 cup walnuts, toasted (other nuts would probably work too; whatever you have around the house)
    1 1/2 cups red seedless grapes
    1 celery stalk
    1/2 cup feta cheese (optional- I don't add because I'm not a feta fan)
    Dressing:
    2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    Juice from one lemon
    2 teaspoons honey
    3 tablespoons olive oil
    Directions:
    Bring 2 1/2 cups of water to boil in a medium saucepan. Add lentils. Reduce to a simmer and cook for about 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
    Toast walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat until lightly browned. Chop walnuts. Halve grapes. Cut celery into thin slices. Combine all salad ingredients in a serving bowl.
    To make dressing, whisk red wine vinegar, lemon juice and honey together. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Pour dressing over salad and mix. Season with fine grain sea salt, if desired.

Enjoy!
    Both of these recipes sound delicious - especially the soup! Thanks!
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    BUMP!!!
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Lentil stew!! Best stuff EVER. I'll eat it breakfast, lunch or dinner! If interested, I'll send you the recipe
  • midnight333
    Options
    Bump
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    I live in the town of lentils. We have the National Lentil Festival every August and they have a cook-off every year. The general rule of thumb on lentils is to put them in anything that has flavor of it's own because lentils don't have much taste, but they are filled with nutrients. They are even used in ice cream and pancakes. If you can invent a new, tasty lentil dish, send the recipe to the Lentilfest folks and they will arrange for local people to cook your dish and enter it into the contest. It's pretty fun.

http://www.lentilfest.com/
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Miche11e5
    Miche11e5 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I love lentils, too! Cheap, tasty, healthy... what more could you want? I buy Palouse Brand in the 5 lb burlap sack. Palouse are not irradiated, GMO free, identity preserved, and grown and packaged in Washington state. Their garbanzos are also fabulous.

My favorite lentil dish:

Mjuddrah:

Ingredients
    2 Cup Lentils
    1 Cup Uncooked rice
    2 large Vidalia onions, chopped
    1⁄2 Cup Olive oil
    1 Tbsp Sea salt
    1 1⁄2 tsp Baharat*

*I like to make my own, and the recipe is below, but it also might be found in specialty stores. You can sub with Cumin and Allspice, but it's not as good.

Preparation:
    In a cast iron Dutch over, saute the chopped onions in oil until carmelized, set aside about 1/2. While those are going, clean and wash the lentils and boil them just until tender, adding water as needed. Drain, retaining liquid to use later. Combine drained lentils and remainder of onions and oil in Dutch oven. Add rice and spices and bring to a boil with enough of the reserved liquid to cover and simmer over low heat until the rice is cooked, stirring regularly to prevent sticking (adding more water as needed). Turn out onto large platter. Place remaining onions over the top and garnish with lemon. Serve lukewarm or cold (it’s better after resting in the refrigerator overnight).

Baharat

2 Tbsp whole cloves
    2 Tbsp coriander seed
    1 Tbsp cumin seed
    1 1⁄2 Tbsp black pepper
    2 Tbsp ground cinnamon
    1 pinch ground cardamom
    2 Tbsp nutmeg
    3 Tbsp paprika

Preparation:
    Put the cloves, coriander and cumin seeds onto a cookie sheet and dry toast for a few minutes in the oven, being careful not to burn the spices. As soon as you can smell them, they are done. Allow to cool. Add the toasted spices to the rest of the spices, mix well, then grind in spice grinder (or coffee grinder on Super Fine setting). Store in the dark in an airtight spice jar. This will make plenty for your next few batches of Mjuddrah or any other Middle Eastern dish.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Lentil pancakes

1 cup cooked lentils, drained
    3/4 cup egg whites (184 gram)
    1 tsp vanilla (optional)
    stevia to taste (optional)
    1 serving of peanut butter

Blend everything until smooth. Pour unto a hot cast iron grill and cook until down. Top with peanut butter.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Lentil soup is the tastiest soup ever (but it makes you fart like a trouper) lol

Lentils boiled in water and drained, add grated carrots, turnip and onion and a few ham stock cubes. Sorted!
    Or you can put actual ham in it to make it tastier. You have been warned about the wind :laugh:

If you rinse and soak them overnight you won't have that issue anymore.
  • ay1978pa
    ay1978pa Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Curry of all sorts, both meaty and vegetarian.
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Lentils one of my favorite "I need to eat something substantial in 15 minutes or I'm going to die foods".

I like to cook the lentils as directed on the package, and as they are simmering I mix chopped garlic, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
    I don't measure anything when I cook and just do it to taste, but for one serving I usually use:
    ~a couple cloves of chopped garlic (I LOVE garlic)
    ~a couple teaspoons of turmeric (Turmeric doesn't have a very strong flavor so I use a lot- until the lentils are a nice yellow and I can taste it a little over the garlic. It also has a multitude of health benefits so I add it to a lot of dishes.)
    ~a tiny pinch of cumin
    ~a tiny pinch of cayenne
    ~salt to taste (toward the end if it still needs something)

Sometimes I do this with just lentils, sometimes half lentils, half rice--which is basically mujaddara. But the lentils and rice cook differently so don't cook them together! I mix the rice in at the end.

This is great by itself or topped with a sour cream sauce:
    ~a few tablespoons of low fat sour cream (I like to mix it with fat free plain yogurt)
    ~a clove or two of chopped garlic (depending on how much of a bite you like)
    ~a teaspoon or two of lemon juice (to taste)
    ~sometimes I add a tiny pinch of cumin to this as well

Spoon it on top of the lentils, and if you're feeling really fancy, top it off with sautéed sliced onions (I like red).

Your entire house will smell delightful for hours. :)
    Warning: has has been known to attract neighbors.
  • ki4yxo
    ki4yxo Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    1- Small onion diced
    2- Cloves garlic finely chopped
    2- Tablespoons Olive oil
    1- 1/2 Cup Lentils (rinsed and drained)
    4- Cups water
    1- 14.5 oz. Can Del Monte diced tomatoes (Zesty Mild Green Chilies)
    2- Bay leaves
    Salt and Pepper to taste

Bring water to a boil, then add all ingredients. Return to a slow steady boil.
    Tightly cover and simmer over med-low heat for around 45 minutes. (Stir occasionally)
    Best if you let the lentils sit on low heat for about 20 mins, and let the lentils thicken up,
    giving them a stir once in a while. Remember to pull out the bay leaves.
    Serve with white rice, and piece of chicken, beef, or pork.

That's dinner tonight...
  • SouthernArt77
    Options
    I like to cook the lentils as directed on the package, and as they are simmering I mix chopped garlic, turmeric, cumin, cayenne, and salt.
    I don't measure anything when I cook and just do it to taste, but for one serving I usually use:
    ~a couple cloves of chopped garlic (I LOVE garlic)
    ~a couple teaspoons of turmeric (Turmeric doesn't have a very strong flavor so I use a lot- until the lentils are a nice yellow and I can taste it a little over the garlic. It also has a multitude of health benefits so I add it to a lot of dishes.)
    ~a tiny pinch of cumin
    ~a tiny pinch of cayenne
    ~salt to taste (toward the end if it still needs something)

Sometimes I do this with just lentils, sometimes half lentils, half rice--which is basically mujaddara. But the lentils and rice cook differently so don't cook them together! I mix the rice in at the end.

This is great by itself or topped with a sour cream sauce:
    ~a few tablespoons of low fat sour cream (I like to mix it with fat free plain yogurt)
    ~a clove or two of chopped garlic (depending on how much of a bite you like)
    ~a teaspoon or two of lemon juice (to taste)
    ~sometimes I add a tiny pinch of cumin to this as well

Spoon it on top of the lentils, and if you're feeling really fancy, top it off with sautéed sliced onions (I like red).
    This sounds really good! Thanks!