Airports--your favorites and why?

Options

Replies

• bombedpop
    bombedpop Posts: 2,180 Member
    Options
    are you serious? people have favorite airports? This can only be true of people who haven't traveled much and/or do not have children.

Well, after contemplating this, I would have to say Carlsbad, CA. Free parking (like at the grocery store), walk in, board all within a few hundred yards. When you arrive there, stand planeside, pick up your bag, and be out in your car in 3 minutes.

People who travel a lot definitely have preferences including favorite airports (and airport lounges). People who don't travel, not so much.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Long Beach Airport (Southern California). It's nearly always easy to get in and out of there. Plus the whole experience feels like a throwback to the 1950's - architecture, boarding the plane from the tarmac, etc. Not a ton of flight options, but a fun change of pace from international airports.

http://www.lgb.org/
  • AZDreamgirl
    Options
    San Diego's and Las Vegas Airports!. Airports I hate Atlanta. blah
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Gatwick... for some reason whenever I go anywhere far away and exciting, we go out of Gatwick! I've spent so much time there that it feels like home.

Also, Oman airport was pretty cool, it's in the middle of the desert and has great views, it's also really clean and spacious, and had this kids soft play area that was great for napping!

EDIT: I forgot MCO Orlando International - if I'm there, it means only one thing - DISNEY VACATION!!!
  • kimpossible471
    kimpossible471 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Minneapolis - mall, sushi and sky club.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Curitiba, Brazil. It means I have arrived!
  • ElizaRoche
    ElizaRoche Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    San Diego.. JFK and Mexico´s City

I like big airports, size matters! LOL
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Norfolk, it's small and easy to get around.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Heathrow would have to be my favourite. Only because I got to spend a few hours in their 1st class lounge and it was all I could do not to eat and drink myself stupid. They have the biggest open bar I have ever seen!
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I really disliked Denver for some reason – it was just really stressful to me. Beautiful, but stressful. I like O'Hare and ATL. Kansas City (MCI) is okay - it's surprisingly small, which I appreciate it.
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I grew up close to O'Hare (Chicago), and it's big and has lots of options. I also really like the Nashville, TN airport because I love the country music theme :smile:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I despise Philly..JFK is alright...SFO is pretty good too. Don't love LAX but I don't hate it either. Orlando is mediocre. O'Hare is actually not bad at all...I liked it pretty well.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Hong Kong.
  • StarryOne
    StarryOne Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Minneapolis-St. Paul Airport so much, I volunteer there at the information booths a couple times a month. I love airports of all shapes and sizes- my favorite, besides MSP of course, is definitely Schiphol (Amsterdam), but Bangkok is pretty amazing too.
  • jus_in_bello
    jus_in_bello Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Lethbridge - because it is tiny and cute and because it was my first non-American airport ever.

I also deeply love Dulles, which changed a little when I lived near Dulles and began to curse it's very existence, but I love it because I once spent the night there, our plane was delayed and we missed our connection and slept at the gate and it was just fun to be running around an airport at 3am with my sisters.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Love Field....First one I flew out of in 1970.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    are you serious? people have favorite airports? This can only be true of people who haven't traveled much and/or do not have children.

Well, after contemplating this, I would have to say Carlsbad, CA. Free parking (like at the grocery store), walk in, board all within a few hundred yards. When you arrive there, stand planeside, pick up your bag, and be out in your car in 3 minutes.

People who travel a lot definitely have preferences including favorite airports (and airport lounges). People who don't travel, not so much.

Favorite airport, or less horrible alternative than others? Air travel was a constant for me as a kid, going to school overseas from my parents, twice weekly necessary evil for most of my corporate years (in fact I worked for both Delta and United's legal departments for several years and flew constantly for meetings, litigation, as well as personal non-rev travel), and it remains necessary now for visiting distant family and vacations. I consider the whole minimum 2-hour experience on either end of a journey to be a chore, and when I have 4 children in tow (as I will tomorrow, flying from SAN to ATL), I dread it. It is nothing short of exasperating and exhausting.

Even on those rare occasions when I actually fly by myself it is still my goal to be in and out as soon as possible. I couldn't care less what they're selling as long as it has caffeine.
  • tahawairua
    tahawairua Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Changi, Singapore is by far one of the best airports I've been in. If you're on a long layover, there are free tours of Singapore, free movies, loads of duty free and food galore!

Malaysia International is not too bad either! The new section with again loads of duty free shops and several cafes and restaurants to choose from.

Rarotonga - Cook Islands - small and relaxed.

Faleolo - Samoa - small, convenient and great scenery

Agreed, Long Beach Airport is easy to get through!

Dislikes: LAX, Phuket, JFK, Mexico City, Galeao
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 973 Member
    Options
    Lester B. Pierson (is it still called that?) in Toronto. There used to be this Franglais boutique that sold tasty salmon jerky.

Yes, it's still called that.

I liked Tampa Airport when I had a layover, it had good options for food.
    Amsterdam Airport was also an interesting experience.
  • claritarejoice
    claritarejoice Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Best in the world: Schiphol, the Amsterdam international airport. Worst in the world: Lagos, Nigeria (and believe me, I have been in a lot of airports!)