Anyone else have issues with low carb diets?

Options
I see all this stuff on low carb and ketogenic diets and I'm horrified to tell you the god's honest truth. I understand that it works and it works fast, but does anyone ever care to know what's actually happening to their body during ketosis? How it lowers the pH of your blood and can lead to kidney damage long term? I generally feel that people should do whatever works for them and am not bashing all low carbers out there or anything (it definitely has its place), but I was just curious if anyone shares my frustration with the Atkins and South Beach diets? Paleo is another one - I agree with the quality of foods, but banning grains and limiting fruit and replacing that with meat and fats is just another low carb diet.

Anyone know anything about biology? About metabolic processes? Glucose is the body's preferred form of energy - it's the only macronutrient that is digested and utilized for energy the fastest and without any waste products (unlike protein/uric acid and fat/ketones) - the brain cannot survive without it and that's a fact. If you starve your body of glucose, OF COURSE you're going to lose weight. Short term, I get it, it serves its purpose, but long term? not healthy. If you're looking to cut some weight before a competition, it's useful, but the normal fad dieters out there? I just think it's straight up dangerous. ESPECIALLY when you add exercise to the equation.

I could never go low carb (and yes, I have type 1 diabetes), because I exercise so much - how are you expected to fuel your workouts? I'm sorry, I know I'm going to ruffle some feathers here, and that's not necessarily my intention (please believe me). I just think low carb is almost like an easy way out vs. long term vitality and health. I'm not talking about carbs from breads, pastas and potatoes, by the way, I'm talking about carbs from fruits and vegetables. How can anyone argue that fruits and vegetables are NOT healthy? If you look at the percentage of fats and proteins in relation to carbs in naturally occurring fruits and vegetables, why would you think that a diet that is the direct INVERSE of that is healthy?

Anyone ever read that book 80/10/10 by Dr. Douglas Graham? Anyone ever see that movie Forks Over Knives? I guess those were eye openers for me.

At the end of the day, people are going to follow a diet that condones their initial preferences. If you're a meat eater, of course you are going to lean towards Atkins or Paleo... if you're a veggie eater, of course you're going to lean towards vegetarian/vegan. But when it comes to weight loss and health, I just don't agree with the low carb approach. I believe the best approach is to watch overall calories and portions, keep it simple and everything in moderation.

/end rant (sorry - seriously not trying to offend people here, just would like to start an open discussion on the topic)

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Yes, lack of ice cream being the most significant.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    ketoacidosis != ketosis

ketosis is fine.
  • TDBrims
    TDBrims Posts: 138
    Options
    Im trying low carb but specifically low Heavy carbs not the ones from fruit and veg...on workout days I have more heavy carbs and on non workout days I avoid them and concentrate on getting my carbs from fruit and veg...so far is working for me and Im on week 3
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    ketoacidosis != ketosis

ketosis is fine.

I get what you're saying, but long term ketosis can absolutely lead to ketoacidosis.

my beef isn't with short term states of ketosis - I'm thinking of the obese woman who wants to lose 100lbs in 6 months.

even short term ketosis lowers serum pH, btw, not significantly, but it still does.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

I get what you're saying, but long term ketosis can absolutely lead to ketoacidosis.

my beef isn't with short term states of ketosis - I'm thinking of the obese woman who wants to lose 100lbs in 6 months.

even short term ketosis lowers serum pH, btw, not significantly, but it still does.

then don't stay low carb for extended periods of time.
    cycle your carbs.......reap the benefits of weight loss...then refill your glycogen stores to continue working out hard

see: Carbohydrate Backloading.
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Options
    South Beach includes many vegetables from day one and most fruits and whole grains after 2 weeks. I really don't consider South Beach a "low carb" diet.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

that brings up another good point... in striving to be as low carb as possible, what about ingesting things like sugar alcohols and other processed chemicals? I'd rather just have the real stuff in moderation, personally.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    South Beach includes many vegetables from day one and most fruits and whole grains after 2 weeks. I really don't consider South Beach a "low carb" diet.

oh, I wasn't aware of that - I stand corrected then, thank you. :)
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options

then don't stay low carb for extended periods of time.
    cycle your carbs.......reap the benefits of weight loss...then refill your glycogen stores to continue working out hard

see: Carbohydrate Backloading.

yep, I get that... I just don't think many people cycle - I think the average low carb dieter just tries to eat as few carbs as possible without thinking of the consequences - that was kind of my point.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I always do better if I make protein a priority over carbs. I think people eat too many carbs in general in the form of high-calorie snacks and ultra-processed foods, so just being mindful of that helps you change your eating habits for the better.

That being said, rice and pasta are cheap and delicious, especially mixed with tons of veggies and just about any lean protein. They will always be around ♪

Food will always be villainized because we want to point the finger at one specific thing and lay blame on it instead of ourselves. Also, it helps sell books and diet programs that are usually so expensive and ridiculous, they wouldn't fly without making outrageous claims which promise to give us magical answers and absolve us of guilt.

It's not my excessive caloric intake and desk job that made me fat, it was THAT BANANA.

pirate-banana.jpg

*shakes fist*
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options

that brings up another good point... in striving to be as low carb as possible, what about ingesting things like sugar alcohols and other processed chemicals? I'd rather just have the real stuff in moderation, personally.

Good point, but sugar alcohols and "processed chemicals" can be consumed in moderation as well.
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I am T2 and I do workouts. BUT I am not 30 years old anymore, either. I don't work out every day. This morning, I woke up with a fasting sugar of 127....not good. But that was because I was carb heavy yesterday. Today I cut it way back.

Losing weight low carb is very effective. But if I were NOT diabetic, I would up my carbs a bit so I could enjoy more. But, for me, the point is moot. I will be low carb the rest of my life, with some rare situations like parties or dinner out. I want to stay OFF my meds for good.
  • Funsoaps
    Funsoaps Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's the only way someone can lose wt. shouldn't do it for life, no.
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    My thoughts exactly! You're awesome and pretty brave for posting this here. I hope you're ready for the storm :)
  • BenChase
    BenChase Posts: 169
    Options
    OP you would be happy with my eating style, i am sad that i ONLY got 656 carbs yesterday :laugh: i agree with what you are saying though, too many people just hop onto a diet without research on what it could actually do, they don't think further than "hey this worked for my friend, i'm going to try it"
  • Game8
    Game8 Posts: 442
    Options
    2 issues I have with low carb diet: It makes me want to kill myself and it's completely unnecessary for getting in shape or staying lean.
  • OddChoices
    OddChoices Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of a low carb diet is being followed. If you cut out veggies and fruits and eat only proteins, surely long term there will be problems. However I don't think leaving out bread, pasts and rice is harmful at all. It does lead to cravings. I satisfy mine with red potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Seems like you have done some research but not applied too much thought to the fact that there are multiple fuel sources for brain and body.
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy

If you're eating 180 g of carbs on a 1200 calorie diet, about 75 % of your calories come from carbs, which is really high. The OP is therefore definitely not referring to you, so no need to be offended.
  • jeleclekat
    jeleclekat Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    You do what best works for you. I don't like a lot of diets out there but I don't condemn them because I don't like them. For some, low carbs (not necessarily Atkins (anything under 100g is lkow carb) is the best way they can lose weight. Cave men (here we go on another thread..lol) didn't have all the refined stuff we have now. There are good carbs and bad carbs. Low carbing is usually staying away from the processed carbs more. If you would never do low carbs - don't worry about those that do. Maybe they can't do it your way.