Anyone else have issues with low carb diets?

Options

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

If you're eating 180 g of carbs on a 1200 calorie diet, about 75 % of your calories come from carbs, which is really high. The OP is therefore definitely not referring to you, so no need to be offended.

agreed.
    I'd say low carb is somewhere around 30 grams of carbs or less per day.
  • cheninaerin
    Options
    My main issue with low carb diets is that they are low carb and carbs are delicious.
  • KevinLamb77
    Options
    been there done that, and hated every freakin minute of it too. I did lose weight with those plans, and quickly, but would always hit a plateau, get pissed and bored, and gain it all back.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy

I would not consider 120-180 low carb. I think you're confused.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of a low carb diet is being followed. If you cut out veggies and fruits and eat only proteins, surely long term there will be problems. However I don't think leaving out bread, pasts and rice is harmful at all. It does lead to cravings. I satisfy mine with red potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Seems like you have done some research but not applied too much thought to the fact that there are multiple fuel sources for brain and body.

Of course, she talked about the effect of ketosis on the kidneys, not fuel sources for the brain. Besides, the fact that the brain can use ketones doesn't change the fact that glucose is the brain's preferred source.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    ketoacidosis != ketosis

ketosis is fine.
    I get what you're saying, but long term ketosis can absolutely lead to ketoacidosis.

Almost never will ketosis lead to diabetic ketoacidosis in someone whose body can still produce insulin. (There is a rare case other than that, but I can't think of what it is.)
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I am T2 and I do workouts. BUT I am not 30 years old anymore, either. I don't work out every day. This morning, I woke up with a fasting sugar of 127....not good. But that was because I was carb heavy yesterday. Today I cut it way back.

Losing weight low carb is very effective. But if I were NOT diabetic, I would up my carbs a bit so I could enjoy more. But, for me, the point is moot. I will be low carb the rest of my life, with some rare situations like parties or dinner out. I want to stay OFF my meds for good.

thanks for sharing - I'm actually a student nurse studying to become a CDE (certified diabetes educator) - low carb is certainly important in your case, but I think you'd be interested in doing a bit of research on glycemic indexes rather than trying to avoid carbs in general - also, there's a great video on youtube.com if you type in "how to become diabetic in 6 hours" that explains dietary fat's role in insulin sensitivity that I think you should watch. in your case, it's not just carbs, but fat and glycemic indexes too - but since your body is still producing insulin, the best thing you can do to increase the sensitivity to the insulin you're producing is to exercise - good luck! :)
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Before I got pregnant I ate a moderate carb diet, no sugar and no wheat, and it is the only thing that has helped me lose weight and feel better while battling adrenal fatigue. That being said, I've never been in long-term ketosis and my carbs were around 100 - 150 grams per day. Now that I'm pregnant they're around 150 - 200.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options

I get what you're saying, but long term ketosis can absolutely lead to ketoacidosis.

my beef isn't with short term states of ketosis - I'm thinking of the obese woman who wants to lose 100lbs in 6 months.

even short term ketosis lowers serum pH, btw, not significantly, but it still does.

then don't stay low carb for extended periods of time.
    cycle your carbs.......reap the benefits of weight loss...then refill your glycogen stores to continue working out hard

see: Carbohydrate Backloading.

You beat me to it!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I listen to my body. It's telling me eat more carbs on workout days and when I'm sick with something. Yet I stay in ketosis because I burn those carbs when I work out, I guess. Which brings up the fact that it is possible to be in ketosis while losing weight and exercising even if you eat carbs.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    South Beach includes many vegetables from day one and most fruits and whole grains after 2 weeks. I really don't consider South Beach a "low carb" diet.

oh, I wasn't aware of that - I stand corrected then, thank you. :)

Paleo/primal also doesn't completely consider "carbs" the enemy. They consider industrialized agriculture mass-produced frankenfoods the enemy. Those, generally, are high-carb. Obviously by eliminating them, you eat less carbs. I eat a ton of veggies and fruit every day. I average about 100g-120g carb a day (I say average because M-F it's only about 60-80g but weekends boost that store with more). I eat normal amounts of meat (generally 2, 4-6 oz servings a day), I have increased my fat intake. I have never replaced veggies or fruits with meat. I ADD the fat, not replace something else for it.
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    I think you are misterming this as low carb

I am on a 'low carb diet' my doctor advised it for diabetes II - to do this I limt my carbs to 45-60 g 3 times a day mostly from veg and pulses some whole grains so I eat between 120-180 g of carb a day but within my calorie goal of 1200

The diets you are talking about are really high protein diets where the carb intake in so low the dieter goes in ketosis

Would you mind not bundling us all together because I do think eat quite healthy

fair point, and well taken

I should have been more specific about what I think constitutes "low carb"

as an aside, please see what I posted to the other T2 diabetic poster above about glycemic index and dietary fat - I think it could help you.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    My main issue with low carb diets is that they are low carb and carbs are delicious.

This for me too.

I have been doing low (for me) carb. Trying to keep it to 45% of my calories. This is a huge change from what I have been doing before.
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I am T2 and I do workouts. BUT I am not 30 years old anymore, either. I don't work out every day. This morning, I woke up with a fasting sugar of 127....not good. But that was because I was carb heavy yesterday. Today I cut it way back.

Losing weight low carb is very effective. But if I were NOT diabetic, I would up my carbs a bit so I could enjoy more. But, for me, the point is moot. I will be low carb the rest of my life, with some rare situations like parties or dinner out. I want to stay OFF my meds for good.

Great job getting off the meds.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Of course, she talked about the effect of ketosis on the kidneys, not fuel sources for the brain. Besides, the fact that the brain can use ketones doesn't change the fact that glucose is the brain's preferred source.

Not exactly. If glucose is available, the brain will use it. As far as "preferred", however, the brain has been shown to run better on ketones. The brain only truly requires about 30g to 40g glucose, which can be synthesized by the body, but it will use around 120g to 130g if available.
  • Alissakae
    Alissakae Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I just don't believe in a "diet" at all. It's about good, balanced nutrition. Tracking calories. Exercising. "Diets" - low carb or otherwise- are attempts at taking a shortcut, and in my opinion shortcuts are usually a mistake.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options
    Doesn't help that Dr. Atkins, founder of "The Atkins Diet," died from a heart attack. believe what you will, but any diet high in saturated fats will deffinately raise cholesterol.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I don't really understand the obsession with low carb diets. I also understand that they do take off pounds, and sometimes pretty quickly. But really, can you just sit around knawing on slabs of meat for the rest of your life? I can't. I eat a plant based diet now (partially thanks to Forks Over Knives, which I DID see), but even before this it would have made me sad to give up my fruits and veggies. Carbs are not the enemy, processed carbs that are so far from their natural state that they are unrecognizable are the enemy. The bananas, leave them alone, they are okay!
  • Type1Rachelle
    Options
    ketoacidosis != ketosis

ketosis is fine.

Almost never will ketosis lead to diabetic ketoacidosis in someone whose body can still produce insulin. (There is a rare case other than that, but I can't think of what it is.)

you're confusing ketoacidosis with diabetic ketoacidosis - they are not one in the same, they are two completely different pathologies. it is completely possible for long term ketois to develop into ketoacidosis - it happens all the time in starvation acidosis, what you see frequently in anorexia nervosa.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    Doesn't help that Dr. Atkins, founder of "The Atkins Diet," died from a heart attack. believe what you will, but any diet high in saturated fats will deffinately raise cholesterol.

No he didn't. He died from complications from a slip and fall. At the age of 72.