squat form off in gym..say anything?

Options
124»

Replies

• withchaco
    withchaco Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    If I were in danger of hurting myself in the weight room, PLEASE, SOMEONE POINT IT OUT (politely).

There is a problem, though. How would I know whether or not this correcting person actually knows what they're talking about?

That's why you shouldn't rely on some random person at the gym "correcting" you but rather spend time educating yourself and asking advice from qualified people.
    Even trainers cannot be 100% trusted, so I guess in the end, it comes down to me taking in as much information as possible, and making my own judgment on what is the best for me.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    If I were in danger of hurting myself in the weight room, PLEASE, SOMEONE POINT IT OUT (politely).

There is a problem, though. How would I know whether or not this correcting person actually knows what they're talking about?

That's why you shouldn't rely on some random person at the gym "correcting" you but rather spend time educating yourself and asking advice from qualified people.
    Even trainers cannot be 100% trusted, so I guess in the end, it comes down to me taking in as much information as possible, and making my own judgment on what is the best for me.

I didn't say trainers. I said qualified people. I've had trainers give me horrible advice in the past, but there are some people at my gym who really are knowledgeable that have helped me a lot when I asked for it. One of them is a former competitive powerlifter. I'm a big fan of self-education though. Otherwise, you're right. You won't know the difference between good and bad advice.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Wow! That's terrible! Hate the form and there's no excuse for doing that light poundage like it's 495 or something. I guess I need to start putting form videos on YouTube if this is what's passing.

Thanks for posting. Next time someone tells me I a pu$$y for wearing gloves and quotes that funny but pointless Rip quote about gloves and purses, they can kiss my *kitten*. This is the Immortal Lifting God that people worship on this site?

Plus, he was grunting. What's up with that?
  • withchaco
    Options
    I didn't say trainers. I said qualified people. I've had trainers give me horrible advice in the past, but there are some people at my gym who really are knowledgeable that have helped me a lot when I asked for it. One of them is a former competitive powerlifter. I'm a big fan of self-education though. Otherwise, you're right. You won't know the difference between good and bad advice.
    I know you didn't say trainers, but the challenge lies in identifying qualified people. It's too bad that there's no visible halo floating above truly qualified individuals. That'd make it much easier.

How do you know when someone is a competitive powerlifter? Do you have to socialize first? If that's the case, I'm in trouble :laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Well the SS book really is good, but as I said earlier, the squats in that video did look rough. A bit too much Good Morning to them.

yeah theres definitely some good things that can be learned from his book.

I just wouldn't copy his squats.

Main problem was the music. Some Cannibal Corpse would have fixed his form right up.
  • VelociMama
    Options
    I know you didn't say trainers, but the challenge lies in identifying qualified people. It's too bad that there's no visible halo floating above truly qualified individuals. That'd make it much easier.

How do you know when someone is a competitive powerlifter? Do you have to socialize first? If that's the case, I'm in trouble :laugh:

I get what you're saying (sarcasm aside). It just takes patiences and talking to people. The powerlifter guy at my gym that has been helpful to me had really nice squat form (the only person I've seen there with excellent form), so I complimented him and asked if he'd have a little time later to critique my form when I started out. He was very friendly and helpful. You just have to look around and try. Asking for advice is one thing, but unsolicited advice is quite another.

You can also video record yourself and post it in one of the lifting groups here and get some feedback from others.
  • withchaco
    Options
    I get what you're saying (sarcasm aside). It just takes patiences and talking to people. The powerlifter guy at my gym that has been helpful to me had really nice squat form (the only person I've seen there with excellent form), so I complimented him and asked if he'd have a little time later to critique my form when I started out. He was very friendly and helpful. You just have to look around and try. Asking for advice is one thing, but unsolicited advice is quite another.

You can also video record yourself and post it in one of the lifting groups here and get some feedback from others.
    That's the thing though. You identified him because you could tell his form was excellent. You have to know the correct form in order to do that. It's a catch-22, so it goes back to educating oneself in a sea of conflicting information using best judgment.
  • VelociMama
    Options

That's the thing though. You identified him because you could tell his form was excellent. You have to know the correct form in order to do that. It's a catch-22, so it goes back to educating oneself in a sea of conflicting information using best judgment.

Start with trying to sort it out. It's not easy, but starting with good resources like Starting Strength and the So You Think You Can Squat video series on youtube will go a long way to help. All newbs feel lost at first, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get through it anyway.

Here's a link to the So you think you can squat series. It's a really good guide to proper squat form and breaks down a lot of the skimmed-over nuances.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ME8gEN54Ao
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Well the SS book really is good, but as I said earlier, the squats in that video did look rough. A bit too much Good Morning to them.

yeah theres definitely some good things that can be learned from his book.

I just wouldn't copy his squats.

LOL I noticed the music too..I was like how the F do you work out to that????

Main problem was the music. Some Cannibal Corpse would have fixed his form right up.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

It appears I may have been wrong as some people on this thread seem to think looking down is OK squat form...? I have always been told/taught/watched videos, and consensu seemed to be look straight ahead to slightly up....
    Any thoughts on that?
    Maybe another reason to keep my mouth shut? LOL...For me personally, I would not mind someone polietly giving some pointers on squat or DL form...
  • VelociMama
    Options

It appears I may have been wrong as some people on this thread seem to think looking down is OK squat form...? I have always been told/taught/watched videos, and consensu seemed to be look straight ahead to slightly up....
    Any thoughts on that?
    Maybe another reason to keep my mouth shut? LOL...For me personally, I would not mind someone polietly giving some pointers on squat or DL form...

As long as the back stays firm and straight, I don't think it matters. Personally, I don't find looking down to be helpful. I end up rounding my upper back. I usually look slightly above neutral. Some of this is preference. I've seen powerlifters do both depending on what works for them. The idea is just to make sure you don't round the lower or upper back during the lift. However you have to look to accomplish that is how you should do it.

Examples of both head up and head down positions here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXj052Ht5pg
  • 916lude
    916lude Posts: 305
    Options
    I say sure approach them just come correct. I'm always receptive to others when they point out issues with form or give me tips.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Any thoughts on that?

you want to keep your spine and neck lined up properly. you shouldn't be looking at a fixed point on the wall or floor. look at the floor a few feet in front of you. keep you neck in that position as you come up.
  • If I was doing a wrong form I would love someone to tell me =]
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    yes