Chicago Vs New York The Pizza Debate

Options

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Chicago hands down. Not even close.

I've been to the NY/Jersey area and had pizza. Always found it gross.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    greek pizza trumps chicago and ny. if you're not from new england, you might not have had it ..

I never even had NY or chicago style pizza until I was in College.. I remember looking at the pizza purveyor with disgust thinking "You call THAT pizza?"

My mom grew up in Rhode Island, went to school there, where she met my dad (he was at Providence, she was at Salve Regina), and after they got married and moved to NJ (where my dad is from and where I grew up), she was so confused by the pizza. She was used to "tomato pie." To her, cheese was an option.

They've been married (and living in NJ) for over 40 years, so she's well-informed of what real NY pizza is. However, she never told me about Greek pizza. I love Greek food, so I feel the need to investigate further.
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    Chicago style isnt real pizza and is mediocre at best.

NY is way better.

but Chicago hot dogs are better than all.

Hot dogs never trump pizza in my book, but as far as hot dogs go, nothing beats Chicago dogs. Sadly I've never actually had one in Chicago, which means I've probably never even had the best!
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Chicago style isnt real pizza and is mediocre at best.

NY is way better.

but Chicago hot dogs are better than all.

Hot dogs never trump pizza in my book, but as far as hot dogs go, nothing beats Chicago dogs. Sadly I've never actually had one in Chicago, which means I've probably never even had the best!

oops my bad...i did not mean to suggest chicago hot dogs were greater than pizza...i just meant chicago hot dogs were greater than all other hot dogs.

i just wanted to throw chicago a bone since their "pizza" is so sub standard.

the best style of pizza overall is neapolitan.

Neapolitan.jpg
  • thethinnydiaries
    Options
    New York for sure! But I might just be biased... :)
  • mndamon
    mndamon Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    New York......this shouldn't even be a thread.

This ^^ times elventy billion
  • kitty_764
    Options
    Chicago pizza is absolutely awful.

Italian>>>>Pizza Hut/Dominos etc>New York>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Chicago

Woah! Those places don't count.

Lou Malnati's hands DOWN is the best pizza on the planet. Both thin and deep dish is comparable to an orgasm. No joke
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Love both. As a native New Yorker, I grew up on NY pizza, but whenever I'm in Chicagoland, I have to go to Giordano's in Evanston-- it's a must.

In fact, I was just there last week-- so freakin good. Can't sneeze at Umbertos on Long Island either, though.
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Chicago. I love pizza in general. But when I'm craving it it's NY. I love thin crust. Chicago style has its good points but all the dough makes my tummy hurt. I feel like such a traitor :(
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    Born and raised in Chicago. I love pizza in general. But when I'm craving it it's NY. I love thin crust. Chicago style has its good points but all the dough makes my tummy hurt. I feel like such a traitor :(

I am with you on this one. I was also born and raised in Chicago( NW side) and I am partial to thin crust. I love thin crust. Lucky for me there is ALOT of thin crust places here in the city!
  • sedwards9999
    sedwards9999 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    NY !

Deep dish style is a casserole not pizza!

Pizza is like sex when it's good it's great and when it's bad, it's still pretty good.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    Clearly what Chicagoans call pizza isn't pizza. It can be tasty when done right, but let's not call it pizza. Pizza is done best by those located in the pizza belt: NY, NJ, Conn, RI and from time to time Boston.

I just had a pie from Pepe's in New Haven a few days ago. That's a tasty pie. In general, however, the correct answer to "What's the best pizza?" is "Neapolitan."

PiccoPizza.jpg
  • bigjretrac
    bigjretrac Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    NY !

Deep dish style is a casserole not pizza!

Pizza is like sex when it's good it's great and when it's bad, it's still pretty good.

LOL!
  • RunIntheMud
    RunIntheMud Posts: 2,645 Member
    Options
    Clearly what Chicagoans call pizza isn't pizza. It can be tasty when done right, but let's not call it pizza. Pizza is done best by those located in the pizza belt: NY, NJ, Conn, RI and from time to time Boston.

I just had a pie from Pepe's in New Haven a few days ago. That's a tasty pie. In general, however, the correct answer to "What's the best pizza?" is "Neapolitan."

PiccoPizza.jpg

^^^ This. Neopolitan, however if not available, NY.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

yep and as luck has it Phoenix of all places has one of the best places in the USA. Pizzeria Bianco.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Neither. They both suck. I grew up in Louisiana though,so the food sucks everywhere else you go from there.

Though, stylistically, I like both depending on my mood...my favorite pizza in LA(and that's Louisiana as opposed to L.A.) is a New York style from a local chain, whereas here in TX it's more deep dish style.

From a resteraunt/pizzeria, it's Chicago style all the way if I'm eating to enjoy it.

Would that be Brooklyn Pizzeria on Vets?? I'm from N.O. and think the same as you; anywhere outside of LA does not compare to the flavor and variety of our food!

Brooklyn.

Im from Louisiana. I live here now. I moved to Brooklyn for the pizza.

Also, not all the people love a steady Louisiana version of a healthy diet. :P
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    If it folds, its pizza.
    20100714-foldhold-full-lede.jpg
  • DamnImASexyBitch
    DamnImASexyBitch Posts: 740 Member
    Options
    No contest... Chicago all the way. Pizza and hotdogs and beef sandwiches.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    Neither. They both suck. I grew up in Louisiana though,so the food sucks everywhere else you go from there.

Though, stylistically, I like both depending on my mood...my favorite pizza in LA(and that's Louisiana as opposed to L.A.) is a New York style from a local chain, whereas here in TX it's more deep dish style.

From a resteraunt/pizzeria, it's Chicago style all the way if I'm eating to enjoy it.

are you talkin about johnnies?
  • AmyEm3
    AmyEm3 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I prefer St. Louis style, then NY, and I don't like Chicago at all.

I can't believe how people rave about Lou Malnati's pizza. I thought it was TERRIBLE. Probably the worst pizza I've ever eaten. They have an awesome beef sandwich though--love that!