New people...sigh

Dauntlessness
Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

Replies

• Keiko385
    Keiko385 Posts: 514 Member
    If they using only the mobile app there is no way to fill in the profile about me section..or at least none that I have found
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    It took me 9 months before I put up a profile picture :embarassed:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Like - they may be just using MFP to log their own food and activity diary and don't actually want to get into the whole so called community thing? jus' sayin'
  • MSam1205
    MSam1205 Posts: 439 Member
    Because getting here is a first big step. It took me a few months of working the program to know this was going to work for me. Also, I really didn't want to just put down "stuff" I wanted it to be say something about me to anyone who read it. And thats not easy for me!:wink:
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    I've been a member for a year and a half and have done just fine being serious about losing my weight and keeping it off. I didn't put up a profile picture until I had been here for 6 months or so and then it was a picture of my dogs. I haven't filled out my profile information yet because I don't feel like it and probably never will fill it out.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    I've been helping a few friends and family get started on the whole process of exercising and losing weight, and one of the suggestions I've made to them is to use the site for it's unadulterated originally intended purpose: to track food. I know for me, that was(and still is) the biggest hurdle. I want them to be 'brilliant on the basics' just like when starting out on weight lifting... you make your form perfect before you go 'heavy'. 'Heavy' being set up the profile and get into the forums/groups.

Another aspect could be what a friend of mine is going through. She has no self confidence and a horrible self-image, so she would actually have anxiety attacks if she were to put pictures of herself on a website (facebook updates are a rare thing, let alone a brand new website full of strangers).

Just remember, not everyone is ready to jump in with both feet... a lot of the time it has to be baby steps.
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    I've never had a picture of me on my avatar, and I haven't filled out any of my bio. What's your point? I don't expect anyone to really care about what my inspirations are, or why I want to get in shape.
  • Terree_G
    Terree_G Posts: 69 Member
    I don't much care about other peoples' motivations, photos, or anything else. If they want to add some personal info, fine. Otherwise, fine. Live and let live.

Also: each time I try to post a profile pic, it doesn't work. But it's not a priority. :-)
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    I'm a bit of a social person so I enjoy reading a little about someone who wants to add me as a friend and see what we have in common I guess, I have met many wonderful people here but I have to admit when someone with a blank profile adds me I wonder why? I guess we are all different :)
  • fun_b
    fun_b Posts: 199 Member
    One step at a time! I was logging on my phone for a while before I discovered the website. After discovering the community, it took a while before I was comfortable enough to post. I may put a picture up but to be honest the thought of everyone seeing my picture is scary! Just because someone doesn't put their picture up or fill in certain information does not mean they are no serious.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    I have had 3 pics...none of me :-)
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

It's a site to track calories, just sayin'. Some people are only here to watch their calorie intake and could care less about the social stuff... especially when they see people in forums questioning their dedication or resolve because they didn't fill out their profiles or put up avatars.

Really, how silly is it to complain about that?
  • xLexa
    xLexa Posts: 482 Member
    Well in all fairness she did not say it had to be a pic of you :P But even an avatar tells something about a person, maybe the type of humour they have or the art they like and that type of thing :)

And I'm editing to say that I am assuming she is talking about the people who try to add her as friends ;)
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Harder than signing up itself, for whatever reason, putting my pic up was the hardest thing to do. Info wasnt a big deal though....Its different when there's a face to your name. If I see someone with no pic, I assume they just arent ready for that yet.
  • diinva
    diinva Posts: 57
    Wow - having a bad day already?? No need to be so judgemental. We all have different reasons for being here. Don't sweat the small stuff honey - life is too short. :flowerforyou:
  • Some people may choose to be private online, for obvious reasons. To each his own. Also for me, I didn't start friending people til just recently, just had a generic profile pic and logged my food and exercise. Then there are trolls. On my Facebook, I'm very political and lots of my political friends have "alters" so they can comment freely without retaliation.Everyone has different reasons, and if they don't seem commited to this site by logging and conversing, I let them go.
  • ItsTimeDave
    ItsTimeDave Posts: 43 Member
    << this is my photo i took it when i signed up.

nahh on a serious note i will post a photo or 2 when i have lost some of this weight I am ashamed and embarassed of how i now look, once i have lost and have more confidence i will post, as for a personal profile info, is it needed, i chat most of the time about who i am, what i do and what motivates me.

I cant see any issue with people not posting things, I could google photos and put them up but i dont
  • FJMilner
    FJMilner Posts: 407
    Really??? Go get a coffee my love :drinker:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member

How terribly patronising! :bigsmile:
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member

Agreed. And to the poster above...the OP was more patronizing with her "New people.....sigh" title.

No one is here to please you, so no one needs to "convince" you they are serious.