New people...sigh

Options

Replies

• 7kidslater
    7kidslater Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss! You look great and I bet feel great.
  • sheldonz42
    sheldonz42 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have never posted here before and am likely to post only very rarely, but this motivated me. I am here to lose weight, not to socialize, your honor.
  • westerncaroline
    Options
    Judgmental people... sigh.

I've been on MFP for less than an week and the number of judgmental posts about "New people, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG" has been a huge turnoff already. Fortunately I've found some really great and helpful people that I'm glad to be friends with, but it's posts like these that will keep me mostly out of the forums.

Even though I do have a picture and profile information, it's really none of your business what I look like or what my motivation is. I'm not particularly interested in yours, but if I am, I'll ask, instead of blasting you on a forum.
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

You question someone's dedication based on their lack of picture/profile? That's...odd.
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    If you haven't taken the time to fill out your profile or put an avatar up, why in the heck would I think your dedicated to being active on this website?

Just sayin

It's a site to track calories, just sayin'. Some people are only here to watch their calorie intake and could care less about the social stuff... especially when they see people in forums questioning their dedication or resolve because they didn't fill out their profiles or put up avatars.

Really, how silly is it to complain about that?

Agree 100%. Well said!
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    What's funny is that I got a fair amount of friend requests before putting up a picture or anything in my profile. It was all due to my commenting on the forum.
  • Jenni129
    Jenni129 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Wow - having a bad day already?? No need to be so judgemental. We all have different reasons for being here. Don't sweat the small stuff honey - life is too short. :flowerforyou:

Well said!
  • DrewMartGrawr
    Options
    Mine's filled out how I want it now. First day newb, though. :) I think I'll be taking part in the community every now and then. I did put my picture up, and that was iffy... never done that before, but maybe it will serve as a reminder every day where I started. And this seems like a nice interactive community, so why not...

Though I wasn't sure about this site at first, looking at all the free features, I'm game. I made a throwaway that I'll be deleting in a minute. I just used it to check out things and see how it works. Counting is first; social networking comes second, and I don't really see what's wrong with people trying to get healthier without the chit-chat.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options

Just sayin

If you haven't taken the time set your diary to open, why in the heck would I think your [sic] dedicated to being active on this website?
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Lol, why do you think aaaaaanyone cares whether you think they are dedicated, OP?
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Maybe because they are too busy exercising and logging in their food to care to show themselves off in pictures or tell everyone on their write ups how many times theyve been overweight in their lives...
  • daftdreamer
    daftdreamer Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Well here is my two cents- different strokes for different strokes. This website and the community is basically you get back what you put in. So for some they only want to use this as a food calorie counter, other wants the community aspect.

We should really focus more on uplifting each other, IMO that is what makes this place great.
  • castlerobber
    castlerobber Posts: 528 Member
    Options

Just sayin

I don't much care what anyone thinks about my activity, that's why I don't fill out all that stuff. I'm here to use the food tracking and get a bit of entertainment from the forums.

Just saying.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I didn't take it as she was complaining about all people with nothing in their profiles, more like the ones that come onto the Newbie forum and then try to friend request 50 people and then disappear after a week. I have had that happen to me a bunch when I first starting friending people.

I can see what you are trying to say OP. I agree, some people are not here for the social, they are here for a tool. They are not the ones this post was probably about. If you are here for the social friend requesting stuff, you might want to at least fill out your profile a little with some goals or something? You don't need to have a whole lot of personal info out there.
  • misslindseylou
    misslindseylou Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just haven't filled it out yet because I'm not that interesting of a person.
  • anarjackson
    anarjackson Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Because getting here is a first big step. It took me a few months of working the program to know this was going to work for me. Also, I really didn't want to just put down "stuff" I wanted it to be say something about me to anyone who read it. And thats not easy for me!:wink:

Agreed :D
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I just haven't filled it out yet because I'm not that interesting of a person.
    At 23, Female and with a name like Miss Lindsey Lou how could you possibly not be interesting ?

Just interjecting
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,788 Member
    Options
    Some people are just on here to log their food and don't utilize MFP as a social site.
  • SeaRunner26
    SeaRunner26 Posts: 5,143 Member
    Options
    Some people are just on here to log their food and don't utilize MFP as a social site.

I fell into this category initially. Of course now I'm a forum addict.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Judging from some of the replies people get to quite innocent (in my opinion) questions, MFP can be anything but a 'social site'.