Hurricane Sandy

Options

Replies

• Edwin_S
    Edwin_S Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Just seeing lots of rain for now in Southwestern Ontario. Hopes and Prayers out to those in need.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    she is one big *kitten* storm - the outer bands are in Pittsburgh all ready with the winds to kick up by noon with gusts in the 60s...

stay safe everyone!!
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Strength and suppor from over here in the UK - I'll be waiting to see you all online safe and sound XX
  • speedyf
    speedyf Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    A lot of thoughts and prayers flying down your way to all of you people down on the East Coast from Qc, Canada. Stay safe!!!!!!
  • boperoni10
    boperoni10 Posts: 3,034
    Options
    Prayers to everyone in its path. Please take a precautions and stay safe.
  • MissPreciosa
    MissPreciosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thank you! I'm in CT. It's expected to hit in a few hours. :-(
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I'm in the path, Upstate NY here. We are supposed to get hit soon, it's starting to get dark and windy here. Stay safe everyone <3
  • Dinamita_TNT
    Options
    Stay safe... Pray and love from Spain <3
  • pelleld
    pelleld Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    i hope ya'll stay safe and will be prayin for the coasts safety!

but,isnt it a catergory one?
    ya'll its basically nothing.i've slept through a category 1 and a category 2 hurricane..
    maybe a few powerlines,stuff flown everywhere from the windor trees down and if you live on the beach it might be a little worse
    and it is smart to evacuate if you live in the low lying area's.
    but,i really cant see how its being called the "greatest threat to human life"

breathe. it's going to be fine,im sure.

A storm that is forecasted to affect more than 60 million people is not "basically nothing". NYC transit is shut down. All state roads in CT are closing at 1 pm. Sandy is hitting us through multiple high tides and a full moon. They are calling for "100 year floods". Sandy is so big that hurricane force winds are being felt nearly 200 miles from the center and tropical force winds nearly 500 miles from center. Yesterday the Pope offered prayers for those already impacted and for those in Sandy's path.

Truly, I would love for you to be right and have this be "basically nothing". But frankly its already too late for that.....she's on her way, she's big, she's dangerous and she means business.
  • The_new_me_x
    Options
    U may not be on my fl, but plz be careful everyone x
  • Queen_Adrock
    Queen_Adrock Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I'm currently living out west, but I'm originally from the MD/DC area. Needless to say, I have a lot of friends and family there I'm worried about! Stay safe and don't leave the damn house for anything less than an absolute emergency...not worth it. I'm hoping for the best for everyone.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Farmingdale Long Island here! at work for now leaving around 12 and heading home..
  • CoachReddy
    CoachReddy Posts: 3,949 Member
    Options

ya'll its basically nothing.i've slept through a category 1 and a category 2 hurricane..
    maybe a few powerlines,stuff flown everywhere from the windor trees down and if you live on the beach it might be a little worse

you live somewhere that has had procedures in place to deal with hurricanes forever. NYC, NJ, CT, etc aren't prepared for this kind of things. The coast isn't designed to take a hit this hard. The buildings aren't made to withstand 100 mph winds like this. there are 10 times the amount of people here in a much smaller area.

with all due respect, you have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options

you live somewhere that has had procedures in place to deal with hurricanes forever. NYC, NJ, CT, etc aren't prepared for this kind of things. The coast isn't designed to take a hit this hard. The buildings aren't made to withstand 100 mph winds like this. there are 10 times the amount of people here in a much smaller area.

in addition to that it is combining with a large cold front making it a super storm. It will cover from the Atlantic to the Great Lakes... and from the Carolinas to Canada. Amtrak - shutdown, buses - shutdown, local rails/subways - shutdown, flights - cancelled up and down the east coast. The storm surge for NYC is expected to be higher than any recorded (which will start flooding the subway). Anytime this many major cities are involved it is a huge thing.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    thanks for this--i'm in DC....teleworking today and hoping for NO power outages and minimal damage. be safe everyone!!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options

^ This.

I live in Miami where the building codes are much stricter and the infrastructure is designed to deal with this stuff. NYC and DC are definitely not. Even a tropical storm can do very serious damage to those areas. We have family in Baltimore that have had massive flooding (4 feet+ of standing water in their driveway) and 2-3 week long power outages from just tropical depressions.

I also find it annoying how people dismiss being prepared as "overreacting." It's not overreacting. It's being smart enough to know that these storms are unpredictable and preparation can make a huge difference in how well your family gets through it. Preparation is usually cheap and just involves a little extra time and thought.
  • CoachReddy
    Options

^ This.

I live in Miami where the building codes are much stricter and the infrastructure is designed to deal with this stuff. NYC and DC are definitely not. Even a tropical storm can do very serious damage to those areas. We have family in Baltimore that have had massive flooding (4 feet+ of standing water in their driveway) and 2-3 week long power outages from just tropical depressions.

I also find it annoying how people dismiss being prepared as "overreacting." It's not overreacting. It's being smart enough to know that these storms are unpredictable and preparation can make a huge difference in how well your family gets through it. Preparation is usually cheap and just involves a little extra time and thought.

agreed 100% - it's pretty absurd. and then afterwards those same people gloat and rip on the government for wasting money/time/inconveniencing them.

sorry but i'd rather the gov't take steps to keep us safe and not need it, than the alternative... (see Haiti)
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    In Maryland...we're seeing the preview right now. I'm heading home early once my work is done and staying in tomorrow...pray I get home safely. Worst is supposed to hit tonight through tomorrow so hopefully I'll miss the worst of it. Better than being stuck sleeping at work.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options

^ This.

agreed 100% - it's pretty absurd. and then afterwards those same people gloat and rip on the government for wasting money/time/inconveniencing them.

sorry but i'd rather the gov't take steps to keep us safe and not need it, than the alternative... (see Haiti)

Only thing I find silly is people stocking up on milk...

DRY milk-fine, i understand that. But...milk is perishable, people! Come on! LoL
  • CoachReddy
    Options

Only thing I find silly is people stocking up on milk...

DRY milk-fine, i understand that. But...milk is perishable, people! Come on! LoL

haha i was thinking the SAME thing yesterday as i was standing in line at the bodega (corner store) - yeah lets get all these things that will last without refrigeration, and we'll top it all off with some MILK!