I am taunted by neighbours when I run up the street

Options

Replies

• clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you have to put up with this obnoxious behavior. Good for you to keep going though. They may never tell you how great you look as your weight comes off, but you can bet they will notice.

You keep doing what you're doing!
  • ladyfox1979
    ladyfox1979 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    :noway: Seriously, what are their names and address? I have been itching to try out my new boxing gloves. What a**holes!
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options
    I wish I lived close to you, I would've put a chair by their house and made them cry every time they even peeped outside their home. I love picking on mean people cause a lot of times they just don't realize how mean they are until they are on the receiving end.

But like everyone said pop head phones and just ignore them.
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have chav's living next door to you :( Sadly there are way to many of them in Blighty these days :(

Best thing to do (that doesn't involve a meat cleaver, lots of bin liners, a couple rolls of carpet, and a bloody good alibi) is just put your headphones in and ignore them.

Remember they are negative and offensive chav w-bankers, and you are a positive person who is making something good of their life :)
  • BlessedandBeautifulBrown
    Options
    can you find another rounte.. I wouldn't want anyone to steal your joy.. Or turn your music up load.. They ragged butts probably should be out there running also..

mean people suck
  • T34418l3angel
    T34418l3angel Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you experienced this :( people are so rude and ignorant. I know it had to hurt and your a strong person to keep running after this. Honestly the best thing I could say is to keep pushing through, eventually the "joke" will get old and they will leave you alone. Or (and it sucks you should have to change anything) change your route? If there is any trails near you try trail running, I find the peacefulness of nature and running alone is amazing and no ride neighbors is a definite plus. Your improving yourself, they sadly will probably always be ignorant.

ETA: also maybe try running with a few friends if you can, usually bullies keep their mouths shut if they are out numbered.
  • Kikers123
    Kikers123 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    There is NO reason why they should be taunting you. But since it came from the parents as well I would just write them off as the evil people they obviously must be. Like many have said before just pop in your music and ignore those terribly ignorant people who do not realize the good you are doing.
  • heathergoins
    heathergoins Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do not let the ignorant actions of some outweight the adoration of many. There are more people looking at you saying, "Wow, now SHE'S got it!" YOU are on the road to a healthy and happy lifestyle. The wonderful thing is, once you loose the weight by running and getting in shape you will be as perfect on the outside as you are on the inside. The individuals who tease and taunt you will always be ignorant imbusiles with low self esteem and NO character to speak of. You keep being you and use their taunts as fuel for your next mile or your next run.
  • thinkpositive3
    thinkpositive3 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I ran my first 1/2, there was a man wearing a t shirt with a slogan on the back that caught my eye and I've never forgotten.

"I may be fat, but my fat *kitten* is still ahead of yours!"

T-Shirt ---> LOVE IT!!!

Don't mind their little minds - Keep up the great work!!
  • athenaheim
    athenaheim Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    Some people are just rude. Just keep going and ignore them. I do agree with the 'if you cant say something nice dont say anything at all'.
  • loveYOUmore319
    loveYOUmore319 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone who said to wear your headphones and blast your music!! People can be so rude. I need to run next to you so I can yell back at those *kitten*. I have perfect hearing! Grrrrrrr!!! Keep up the good work chica!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    That is too crazy some people have no class and no life. When I see people running I give them a wave or great job. I run and I would not like people saying things like that to me..
    I had a lot of nice comments the other day and some kids calling me Micheal Jackson. I laughed it off. when I lived in the big city guys would whistle even if you were wearing a paper bag.
    Just be conscious of where you run and ignore them. Not all neighbors are nice. sorry to hear that.

On another note Way to go on running 8.5 miles. that is awesome
  • charminme
    charminme Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Think of a delicious payback. Soon, when you are super sexy at your goal weight, put on your best outfit, and walk to their house with a belated housewarming gift or a pie or something!

Can you imagine how wonderful our world would be if people weren't such jerks?
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    In the US...we call them "haters"...ie..people who are so eaten up by jealousy that they need to speak negatively...Ignore the haters and continue to do your thing...You are doing a great job!
  • berkra
    berkra Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    we might have a weight problem, but they are stupid
    we can diet, what can they do?

First recognition of a problem and then a plan on fixing it,
    you recognized, you started to work out, you are on a great way (8.5miles that is not just around the block once or twice)

They on the other hand create another bully, good job people (not)

keep on going and show of your skills and your great attitude
  • jenj1313
    jenj1313 Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Wow... I'd say burn their house down. But only in your mind, of course. Stooping that low would be beyond evil... but that doesn't mean they don't deserve whatever they get... just that you are better than them.

Maybe you should suggest they run with you and see if they can outlast you ;-) Bet they can't.
  • LordByproduct
    Options
    @$% A-holes!" there....im better now. sorry about that everyone. now we can go back to turning the other cheek.
  • esl269
    esl269 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    If they' and their children are yelling at random people on the street, you can trust that their lives are probably about as sad as can be already. No revenge needed.
  • lenniebus
    lenniebus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Oh I am so sorry you have to deal with this...you are doing an amazing job! I also get comments, looks, etc...I'm about the same size as you, and I've been running for about 5 years. The truth is, you are SO much better than those idiots, but I'm like you, I'd love to teach them a lesson. I guess I've learned that I never will...they are too far gone for me to teach them how to behave, and truth is, they've been too far gone for a long, long, long time. They are unhappy bully/biggots, probably in many more ways that just shouting at runners as they go by.

So, when I pass people like that, or they shout out the window, I just take comfort in the fact that I am healthy, happy, and can do something they probably cannot. I also try to remember that I truly enjoy doing it, and I will not let their nastiness take away my enjoyment. That would be letting them win. But, I would also probably stick up a particular finger as I pass them with a big smile on my face...but that's just me and probably not very grown up.

I've been to enough races in my day to know first hand that runners come in all shapes, sizes, ages, and from all walks of life. The ones that amaze me are the ones that do not have the ideal runners frame--and there are LOTS of us--I've seen quite a few of them blow past young, arrogant, thin folks as well--and I do a little happy dance inside each time :).

HUGS
  • mwilke
    mwilke Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    That is ridiculous that they would do that. A lot of people today have no respect nor self respect, and it shows. The thing is, you can fix your weight issue, they can't be fixed. Just ignore it and keep doing what you do. I must say that I tip my hat to you, because I would have gone ape on them... it would have gotten really ugly.

I am inspired by the running for 2 hours tho... I finished C25K in september and had gotten up to running 4 miles in 40 mins.... but have slipped. Need to get back to it. Keep running, and keep your head up!