That's it.... on low carb?????

Options

Replies

• Rachlmale
    Rachlmale Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    Advice: Adjust your expectations.

This ^^^ you didn't gain the weight that fast what makes you think it's going to come off as such?
  • rinnismom
    Options
    hmmm, you lost a pound and a half in one week (which is healthy) and you're fretting because you expected more from cutting your carbs?..... WHAT?

listen, maybe that's low for you, but until i cut my carbs (started november 1 because nothing else was working), i couldn't lose 1.5 lbs in 4 months! no kidding. now, with the same activity level and eating habits, i've lost more in 1 month than i have in 6.

you might just need to keep doing what you're doing. if you were losing weight regularly without "cutting" your carb intake, then your body adjusts nicely to the level you have in your diet.

that's what it's all about anyway, trial and error. stick with what works.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a lot of weight to lose, you really shouldn't expect to lose more than 2 pounds per week, anyway. Especially after you've been restricting calories for awhile.
  • skinnyitaliannn
    Options
    I love my carbs.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    only a pound and a half less than a WEEK ago? Be freaking thankful!! That's good. Sorry you don't see that.
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I do low carb, because I have a medical problem that requires it. I was told to stay under 100 per day. Most days mine are around 60. I have been losing weight at about 1.8 lbs a week. My calorie count is usually between 1200 to 1500. I would be losing weight on that anyway. If you enjoy healthy carbs & can lose weight that way, I would do it. For me the carbs make me hungry & harder to eat well. Hope you find what works well for you.

This this this. I have insulin resistance and have to eat exactly like this; otherwise, I'm STARVING all day, even if I just ate. It's horrid. Carbs/sugar = hunger, so I have to be very careful and balance the few I eat with protein.

If you don't have a medical issue, just focus on your calories and other macros. Low carb doesn't necessarily mean you're going to drop 3-4 pounds per week, nor should you. I'd rather lose 1-2 pounds per week and not end up with loose skin or a metabolic issue (well, another metabolic issue... ;) )
  • ChasingAmyLiz
    ChasingAmyLiz Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You're upset you lost 1.5 lbs in one week!?

That was my thought, too! I am AMPED if I lose 1 lb a week!
  • blackmantis
    blackmantis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Any advice?

Eat carbs.

This. Carbs are too good not to eat.

Agreed!
  • Kat5343
    Kat5343 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    How low is your low carb? To see the most low carb results, you need to be <50 g or so per day, with no meal over 20 g.

This!!
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

This.

Healthy weight loss of 1-2 pounds per week is recommended by most medical professionals. Slow, steady loss will help you keep the weight off long term.

As for the "low carbing"--you're going to get a huge variety of responses on whether it works. It works for some people, it doesn't for others. I didn't go "low carb" but I try to eat smarter, more complex carbs--vegetables and brown rice, etc. Be patient and give it a few more weeks--if you continue to lose at 1.5 pounds per week, that's awesome!
  • Madholm
    Madholm Posts: 167
    Options
    No sugar in your carbs. and ABSOLUTELY no alcohol. It will kill your weight loss. low to no carbs, High protein and up the fats. Be careful with Dairy, Cheese is good, but milk is bad, (cheese does not have lactose, (sugar), Milk has a ton)

1.5 / week is good weight loss, don't short change yourself.

Lies.

I drink an average of 3 nights a week and I have lost 20 pounds while continuing to go out and enjoy my life. Some people think cutting X works. Wrong. Cutting X number of calories is what works.
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options

this.
  • willwillywilson
    Options
    In my experience low carb is more about keeping you full so you don't eat tons of high carb/high calorie foods. It's GREAT for appetite control in my opinion and it's very simple (provided you eat smart and don't wrap hot dogs in bacon). There's no miracle to it though. Look at my diary if you want. I did semi low carb (50-70g) for the past 5 months. Lean meats (key!!!!!!), cheeses, lots of veggies (key!!!!!!), and protien shakes. I worked out 5-6 days a week strength training and doing cardio. I lost about 1-2 pounds a week. Recently I added back some bread and beans to hit 150g of carbs a day AND my calorie intake went up. What did I lose? 1-2 pounds a week. My advice, don't be in a rush. Even if you only lost 1 pound a week that's 52 pounds a year. Also, are you exercising? Don't waste all that protien by not strength training!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I hated that low carb thing. The diet is miserable, the weight loss drops to nothing after a few weeks, and you gain everything back as soon as you start eating real foods again.

I LOL at these comments..........

The weight loss doesn't drop off if you are doing the right things. In 2003, I lost over 100 pounds in 6 months time frame with adhering to the Atkins plan 100% by the book.

I didn't gain any weight back for over 5 years. I had a bad, bad car accident in 2008 and ended up gaining a lot of weight back and now it is coming off slowly due to Thyroid and pituitary issues.

I ate nothing but REAL food while I was low carbing. What is not real about fresh seafood, nice thick steaks, fresh fish, chicken and pork.............fresh grown fruits and vegetables from the farmers market.

I even had sweet potatoes, beans and occasional bread when I was on Atkins. It is just that these things aren't eaten every day.

It really isn't that hard to maintain.
  • YuriBodrov
    Options
    no carbs will look like a keto diet.
    You are dropping water weight my friend!

If you eat a lot do like a keto diet until your training. makes you body more sensitive to insulin resistance if that's what you are looking for.

Other then that I don't see a reason why to drop carbs unless it's for a contest prep or photo-shoot!
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

If you eat a lot do like a keto diet until your training. makes you body more sensitive to insulin resistance if that's what you are looking for.

Other then that I don't see a reason why to drop carbs unless it's for a contest prep or photo-shoot!

Most, not all, control carb intake due to medical reasons.
  • YuriBodrov
    Options

Most, not all, control carb intake due to medical reasons.

True , some weightlifters and wrestlers will drop carbs at all tho before a weigh in, or do carb cycles.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I hated that low carb thing. The diet is miserable, the weight loss drops to nothing after a few weeks, and you gain everything back as soon as you start eating real foods again.

I LOL at that comment, that's why adherence rates are so awesome for low carb, because it's so easy to maintain
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I think you are eating too many initially. Cut the Fiber one bar, the apple, the beans, the yogurt, and go for a leafy or low carb veggie for supper. I don't know if your veg at supper was a sweet potato or carrots (high carbs) or spinach. Give it another week, and keep your net carb intake below 25 a day for 14 days. You'll feel amazing, and I'm almost certain the scale will drop. I've lost 58 lbs. since mid-June, but I added more carbs for awhile. Now I'm back on induction, which is the under 25 I described to you. (Net carbs is the carbs minus fiber minus sugar alcohol). Hope this helps.

You'll feel amazing? In what world does carb withdrawal feel amazing?
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

I LOL at that comment, that's why adherence rates are so awesome for low carb, because it's so easy to maintain

seriously. how often can you really say no to that slice of cheesecake or piping hot piece of pizza. you'll cave, binge, and gain back the 5-10 pounds of water that you lost in no time.