Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options
I was watching the news this morning, and the commentator did a featured segment on "nutrition." The newscaster interviewed a local nutritionist on the show as she discussed at-length "good, healthy lifestyle choices."

There's no nice way to put this, so I'll just throw it out there... she was chubby. Noticeably chubby. And, I'm not sure exactly why, but this phenomenon bothers me greatly, and has for a while.

Now, before my collective Haters light their own hair on fire and start banging away on their keyboard in retaliation, I'm not "anti-chubby." There are many, many heavyset people at my gym, and anyone who knows me, will affirm that I'm their biggest cheerleader... (though I do look a bit odd in a skirt and pigtails).

I'm also aware that there are many reasons someone may be heavy... So, before you derail the discussion by hopping up on an e-soapbox, championing the rights of the glandularly-challenged, save the effort and try not to exacerbate your ever-developing carpal tunnel syndrome.

That said, image is a part of everything we do. When you see someone for the first time, you don't bask in their inner beauty and depth, until AFTER you get to know them. As mammals, our first impressions of a person fall into three basic categories...

- "Hey, you're attractive. I would like to propagate my genetic code with you and fondle your naughty bits..."
...or
- "You scare and/or intimidate the *kitten* out of me. I need to flee, fight or pee in every corner of the room..."
...or
- "Holy crap, WTF happened to your face? Did you mother breed with a wildebeest?" ...

- Or something in between all of the aforementioned.

Which leads me to my point... Is anyone bothered by "fitness-nutritionist-type-professionals" who clearly do not look the part?

Is it utterly ridiculous to have a "chubby" nutritionist or "flabby" personal trainer?

Or does it fall under the same notion that your heart surgeon doesn't need to have heart disease to be a good cardiologist?

Happy Monday.
Keep being awesome.

Replies

• Bossit
    Bossit Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    At my old job, the head of the gym was noticeably chubby. First impression made worst when he forgot about our scheduled meeting and showed up 30 minutes late and completely wasted my lunch break. I left pissed and skeptical about his qualifications.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    For me, it would depend on HOW chubby. I've seen some bigger women work out harder than their skinnier counterparts. If these chubby individuals are still working on their own bodies and have the adequate training and knowledge necessary to train me, I really wouldn't have a problem with it.

I think I'd be happy with a trainer who could show me their progress in pictures too. I think it would be really encouraging for them to show 'this was me and this is me now' to show that what they're promoting/selling/teaching actually works.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Nope I agree. To me, if someone is telling me that I need to eat healthier and exercise, etc, they should be doing the same thing. I'm not a "do as I say, not as I do" type person. If I have to do it, so do you!
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    Let's get right to the important stuff..."mammal", "you're", "your". Muah!
  • JessicaBR0
    JessicaBR0 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I've seen obese doctors and nurses as well. Not judging, just kinda weird to see.
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I know. I fixed it. That was a mess. I was typing stream-of-consciousness while I was on a conference call I didn't care about.
  • scapez
    scapez Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    I've seen this topic discussed before and it always seems like the majority would have no problems "believing in" a chubby trainer.

If my trainer doesn't look lean, strong, ripped...whatever...my thought would be that they don't practice what they preach. As such, I wouldn't be hiring them.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    They have zero credit.
  • KellyMirth
    Options
    I know. I fixed it. That was a mess. I was typing stream-of-consciousness while I was on a conference call I didn't care about.

Just messing with ya...it's so rare to see you do that, I couldn't resist. Happy Monday!
  • suzieqcookie
    suzieqcookie Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    When i worked for nutrisystem, we have a very large nutritionist/leader. The only reason she got hired is because when she was initially passed over, she threatened to sue for discrimination. The clients even complained because they said they had a hard time taking her seriously since she clearly couldn't take her own advice.
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is knowledge.
    You dont pay them to look good, you pay to learn from them.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Just because someone is a CPA or in the industry, doesnt always mean they follow the rules or file their return on time. Same thing for lawyers, you think they dont break the law or speed when they are late. My point is, chubby is easier to see and speculate what their life/short comings might be.
  • Momma_Grizz
    Momma_Grizz Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately first impressions do count and if I was paying them for their time, I would be a little leery. That being said, if they could show me they knew their stuff and could take me where I want to go, I'd be happy. And quite honestly, I'd probably be less intimidated. :ohwell:
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.
    Now.. that's a good argument. If they're chubby because they don't workout, that's one thing. If they're chubby because they're on the backside of 150 pound weight-loss regiment, that's something else.
  • soulgirl1
    Options
    That was so funny and I think you have made some really good points. For me,, if somebody obviously wa not followin their own advice, then I would question their overall professioanl abilities. Unfortunately for people in the food/fitness/health industry, they :ohwell: need to show they believe in the product too.
  • chanikat
    Options
    I completely agree that there shouldn't be "chubby" trainers or nutritionist. They are there to set an example to the public. I am a dietitian and was a personal trainer. When I worked as a personal trainer, I was a walking billboard. When people signed up for a trainer they stated them wanted to "look like" me, and that's how a got clients. As a dietitian, people are constantly observing what I'm eating.
  • GorillaEsq
    Options
    Same thing for lawyers, you think they dont break the law or speed when they are late.
    Yes. Yes, I've heard that some do that. ;)
  • SaraRhiannon421
    SaraRhiannon421 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Nope I agree. To me, if someone is telling me that I need to eat healthier and exercise, etc, they should be doing the same thing. I'm not a "do as I say, not as I do" type person. If I have to do it, so do you!

how do you know their not eating healthy and exercising? it could be a journey for them just as it is for you
  • sho3girl
    sho3girl Posts: 10,799 Member
    Options
    I'm their biggest cheerleader... (though I do look a bit odd in a skirt and pigtails).

... was that your halloween costume??