Chubby Trainers & Nutrionists

Options

Replies

• jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    All hail the grammar czar!
    No. In her defense, I'm a grammar Nazi. And I totally butchered that post on the first pass. I would have made fun of me too.

Wow! Do I detect a note of humility here? I'm impressed! :wink:
  • enigmachik
    Options
    Honestly, it would make me want to know a little more about their background, for example were they once bigger than they are now and have improved dramatically?

But that being said, I would find it MUCH easier to relate to relate to a chubby trainer/nutritionist than someone who looks like they've never struggled a day in their life with their weight. When a chubby person says, "look, this is where I came from" I can look at their progress and believe it is possible for me. But a skinny minnie who has never known what it feels like to be bigger doesn't make an impression on me because I can't look at them and believe a transformation is possible for me.
  • AmberJo1984
    AmberJo1984 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I have to admit... I would have the same doubts. I'm trying to better my health. I would question how well someone can help me do that if they looked like they needed to better their's as well. But, that's probably not the best way to think of things. I guess it's human nature to question them.
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Knowledge is knowledge.
    You dont pay them to look good, you pay to learn from them.

I agree.
    Maybe they know a crap ton about the subject and are brilliant at helping other people. Like you said, you don't know their story..they could have medical conditions.
    Like someone in here mentioned that they've seen chubby nurses and doctors.. SO? I'm sure they're damn good at their jobs if they made it that far.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I definitely think it's strange when I see it.
    I remember in college, our president of the student athletic association was 500+lbs and had to be assisted up the stairs to give a speech on athletics and how important it was to the school and health, etc.
    Nobody could take that seriously. With all due respect, he could have said all the right things, but nobody would have taken it to heart.
  • thoshowski
    thoshowski Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would rather work out with a slightly overweight trainer. When I work out with a completely fit trainer, I feel like they don't understand my pain and what I am going through. A slightly chubby trainer, I feel would understand what is wrong, what my issues are and help me work through them with understanding rather than resentment I get from some "skinny trainers".
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    nice, an English lesson from a pair of feet.

I have to admit I feel the same way. I don't want to take advice or pay someone for their skill when they haven't mastered it for themself.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with everyone that is saying, it depends on where they started. If someone asks me for diet advice now I'm still way obese, so why should I be giving advice. It's because I've lost 70 pounds and know what it took to get here. Now if they started smaller and gained that would bother me. Then they are abusing the new money their making.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    Honestly, it would make me want to know a little more about their background, for example were they once bigger than they are now and have improved dramatically?

But that being said, I would find it MUCH easier to relate to relate to a chubby trainer/nutritionist than someone who looks like they've never struggled a day in their life with their weight. When a chubby person says, "look, this is where I came from" I can look at their progress and believe it is possible for me. But a skinny minnie who has never known what it feels like to be bigger doesn't make an impression on me because I can't look at them and believe a transformation is possible for me.

This is a good point, too. I've had trainers/coaches on both ends of the spectrum, and, frankly, I've had more success with the ones who've been where I am.
  • Lizsullie
    Lizsullie Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I'm a bit torn on this one. I have a bit of weight left to lose and I'm a dietitian. When people think of dietitians they always assume our whole job is about weight loss and making "normal" (every-day) people healthier. In fact, the majority of the job has to do with the diets of sick people, with cancer, or liver disease, or kidney disease, or heart disease etc... So sometimes I do feel a bit hypocritical when someone asks what I do and I say I'm a dietitian and I can tell they're wondering about my weight. However, in a hospital, dealing with patients, you can't question my knowledge and my weight is irrelevant.
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I agree. Practice what you preach.

Plus not to be shallow or anything, but if I had a personal trainer they would either have to have a body I aspire to have... Or a body I would lust over. :)
  • GorillaEsq
    GorillaEsq Posts: 2,198 Member
    Options
    I'm too awesome to be humble. ;)
  • PhiliciousCurves
    PhiliciousCurves Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I’m sure that the overweight or chubby-sized nutritionist has all of the educational background and credentials necessary to help people with their diet, as with an overweight trainer helping with exercise, but does it even matter if what they are trying to help others accomplish, they cannot accomplish for themselves? Yes it does! Seriously, would you trust a broke financial advisor with your money, or would you go to a dentist that has bad teeth? More than likely, you would not!
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Well to some people this is their job and that is what all of you people need to understand. When you do it for a living then you sure have an excuse to give nutrition advice even if you don't look like you could give advice. The most fit people can also give horrible advice.
  • rmojo13
    rmojo13 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Now I do have to start by saying that I am 40lbs overweight and am still working on it. However, if personal trainer is to be considered a "health professional" and is trying to represent themselves properly, I feel that they either need to have a fit look to them or they need to be improving on their look if they are "chubby". I do know of some who lost a lot of weight and became trainers and continued to lose weight and become more fit. I think that is fine, but if they don't practice what they preach it would be hard to take them serious while they told you what to do.

My workout partner and I always talk about it since there is a gal at our gym that is probably 80-100lbs over weight and almost always is training someone that looks like THEY should be training her! To me it would be like if your financial adviser had gone bankrupt last year and you knew it but still decided to let him/her handle your money. Doesn't make sense, does it?
  • minkakross
    minkakross Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    wouldn't bother me, my nutritionist is "chubby" it hasn't hurt my journey any... I need to know what's in her brain not what is on her dinner plate. This might also be an issue of gender or learning styles. When I meet someone new, I put a great deal of value on the first things they say, not what they looked like when saying it.
  • jcstanton
    Options
    I'm too awesome to be humble. ;)

I knew you were gonna say that. LOL
  • Danielle_2013
    Danielle_2013 Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    There is something to be said for practicing what you preach.
    I want a trainer who fully embraces the lifestyle and is visibly credible.
  • courtneyprudhomme
    Options
    I don't know their journey.

I don't know if they have lost 100lbs to this point.

No, it doesn't bother me.

Thank you for saying that - that is EXACTLY what I was thinking.. people that KNOW me, know I have lost almost 80 lbs.. but do people who don't see me as that fat chick trying to run?? Or the fat chick giving nutrition and exercise tips (something I do for my friends and family members who ask what im doing).. and that' the problem with judging a book by its cover.. you dont REALLY know the back story so you may be really missing out assuming they are unqualified. Perhaps ask questions before judging by appearances.
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I think the best measure would be before and afters of their clients if they can provide any.