Healthiest bread at subway

Options
Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!:sad: I LOVE subway once in a while, and was wondering what the healthiest bread choice is. LET ME KNOW PLEASE! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I think there is a honey oat or something that might be better than wheat??? Not positive though.
  • shining_light
    shining_light Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Other than losing the whole "sandwich" factor, meaning easy to eat, why not just order your subs as a salad and eliminate that whole mess of calories and processed crap?
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    If you only eat it "once in awhile" then white bread isn't bad for you. In fact, a lot of people wouldn't say it's bad for you at all.....

I always get a good laugh at people who are judgemental over white bread because they buy a loaf of "wheat bread" at the store. Chances are, that wheat bread has the almost exact same nutritional value as the white bread, but people buy into because it's marketed as "healthy".
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!

This is news to me, sad news :(
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    When i still ate bread, i liked the honey oat. No idea if it is whole grain or not (other than the 8 flakes of oat on top), but it sure was tasty!
  • kmhenry84
    kmhenry84 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    salad
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I usually get the wheat one, does anyone know if that's better than the multi grain? Or is the honey oat better because my understanding is that honey oat is just wheat with some honey and oats on top
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Have them scoop the bread. BOOM. Instantly healthiest
  • SHDenver
    SHDenver Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Check out the nutrition info on the website. The 9 grain wheat has 5g of sugar, 4g of fiber, and 40carbs for a 6". The Honey Oat has 9g of sugar, 48g of carbs, and 5g of fiber for the same. If you need the bread then I would go with the 9 grain wheat. The fiber content is the highest on the menu other than the oat and there's less sugar. You can also have them drag the bread out of the middle to help with some of it, but like a lot of people on here say it's calories in vs. calories out and I would say the high fiber vs. their french bread indicate something non-white-bread is going on. I could be wrong and I am definitely not one to preach health, but I hope that helps.

Sounds like you're doing good things for your health if you're eating a subway sandwich rather than a whopper or big mac :)
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    Other than losing the whole "sandwich" factor, meaning easy to eat, why not just order your subs as a salad and eliminate that whole mess of calories and processed crap?

The problem is then, what dressing???
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    If you are looking at fiber I'd go with wheat
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options

Really, why does the addition of lettuce suddenly mean you need to drown it in dressing?
  • Pandasarecool
    Pandasarecool Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Really, why does the addition of lettuce suddenly mean you need to drown it in dressing?

I never said I had to drown it in dressing, I only like a little because I don't like the taste of a plain salad. But even a little bit of low fat dressing has a ton of sodium.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you want a topping from there, try the sweet onion sauce. 21g (about 1.5T) is fat free, 40 cals and 90 sodium.
  • hkry3250
    hkry3250 Posts: 140
    Options

I never said I had to drown it in dressing, I only like a little because I don't like the taste of a plain salad. But even a little bit of low fat dressing has a ton of sodium.
    If you get normal dressing, it's lower in sodium and the fat content isn't a big difference.
  • astrylian
    astrylian Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    This doesn't answer your question, but I wouldn't worry about this whole talk of bread scoopage/salad stuff going on. If you only eat Subway once in a while, like you said, what's the big deal? You are probably going to Subway because you want a sub, not a salad, and scooping out bread when you pay for it sounds kind of silly to a cheapskate like me.

I think the thing you should be more conscious about is the high sodium content that Subway has (despite the fact that these are usually healthy components). Also, I would choose spinach over iceberg lettuce, which is practically just water and lacks some of the bonus nutrients spinach offers.

I love Subway too - if I want to eat out. I choose Subway as opposed to Seven Eleven and their $1 pizza. However, I still have to consider it as a splurge due to the crazy sodium content.

Best Options:

9-Grain Wheat
    210 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 2g total fat, 410mg sodium, 4g fiber, 8g protein

Honey Oat
    260 cal, 0.5g sat fat, 3g total fat, 430mg sodium, 5g fiber, 9g protein

Sourdough - A bit low in fiber, but also lower in sodium.
    210 cal, 1g sat fat, 3g total fat, 210mg sodium, 3g fiber, 8g protein

You can find more best/worst Subway options at this link below:

http://www.eatingrules.com/2010/05/healthy-options-at-subway/

:flowerforyou:
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    None of the bread at subway is "healthy" or good for losing weight. Bread is not generally good for weight loss anyway, but subways is especially high calorie. I imagine the flat bread is probably the lowest calorie of the breads, but I could be wrong. If you must eat their super high calorie bread, just go with whichever one is lowest in calories.

Or better yet, get a salad!
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    None of the bread at subway is "healthy" or good for losing weight. Bread is not generally good for weight loss anyway, but subways is especially high calorie. I imagine the flat bread is probably the lowest calorie of the breads, but I could be wrong. If you must eat their super high calorie bread, just go with whichever one is lowest in calories.

Or better yet, get a salad!

The flatbread is actually higher in calories than white or 9 grain bread.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread while losing weight unless you have a medical condition that may affect it. Many people include bread in their successful diet.

OP - I wouldn't worry about it if it is an occasional thing. As long as it fits in your macros, go with it. while i don't consider Subway a health food, it certainly isn't the worst choice on occasion.
  • betsycraig1013
    Options
    sweet onion- 50 calories, no fat
  • orangelobster
    Options
    Open face sandwich. 1/2 the carbs, all of the insides, go heavy on the veg.. A bit messy to eat I will grant you that. Lose all or at least toss 1/2 the cheese and mayo of course.
    I wish they made wraps...