Healthiest bread at subway

Options

Replies

• cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    None i'm afraid, all bread is evil and should be avioded if at all possible....

not true.
  • trhjrh06
    trhjrh06 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    The lowest calorie bread is the Italian. It's what I usually get.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. But you're certainly going to make it hard on yourself by eating 450 calories of highly processed bread (and hence simple carbs) in a single meal.

White bread is not a simple carb

sure it isn't . . . well right up until the first second it hits your GI system
  • TiffersStr1
    TiffersStr1 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    When getting a sandwich at Subway, I always go with the 6 inch wheat..and the turkey breast..and the veggies..no cheese, no dressing..then add just a tablespoon of fatfree italian dressing from home. I do love their salads though and have them occasionally, again, adding dressing at home.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Yes, I am quite familiar with the 40/30/30 concept.
    A - a serving of subway isn't going to throw your macros off that bad you need to eat no carbs the rest of the day. Most of the subs do have a decent amount of protein a 6 inch roast chicken break down to 54/20/26. It wouldn't be hard to balance that.

B - even if you did have to restrict carbs the rest of the day, so what? I love sushi. It kills my carb macro. I plan around it so I can still eat what I enjoy and hit my macros.

C - the OP said it is occasional. One day of being high in one macro isn't going to make or break the diet. I am not sure why you would suggest switching to a high carb low fat diet because she occasionally likes to eat something a little higher in carbs.

Well I agree that that an occasional subway sub will not single handedly destroy anyone's diet. I'm simply pointing out that the bread on subway sandwiches is not "health food." It's high calorie, low nutrient, and high GI index food. Sure you can eat it and still lose weight, but it's not particularly healthy or helpful for weight loss.
  • mehani48
    mehani48 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Other than losing the whole "sandwich" factor, meaning easy to eat, why not just order your subs as a salad and eliminate that whole mess of calories and processed crap?

The problem is then, what dressing???

I go with just a splash of the red wine vinegar.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I've seen them make the salads, doesn't seem worth the money.

I just get ham, no cheese, on 9grain honey oat with all the fixings except jalapenos and banana peppers, add some honey mustard, and I simply don't eat half of the bread. I take off the side without the mustard and eat it open faced.
  • mybiketrip
    Options
    Check out the nutrition info on the website. The 9 grain wheat has 5g of sugar, 4g of fiber, and 40carbs for a 6". The Honey Oat has 9g of sugar, 48g of carbs, and 5g of fiber for the same. If you need the bread then I would go with the 9 grain wheat. The fiber content is the highest on the menu other than the oat and there's less sugar. You can also have them drag the bread out of the middle to help with some of it, but like a lot of people on here say it's calories in vs. calories out and I would say the high fiber vs. their french bread indicate something non-white-bread is going on. I could be wrong and I am definitely not one to preach health, but I hope that helps.

Sounds like you're doing good things for your health if you're eating a subway sandwich rather than a whopper or big mac :)

I agree!
  • auntdeedee87
    auntdeedee87 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    She asked which bread was healthiest.

She didn't ask you to point out that a salad is healthier than bread. Jeez.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!:sad: I LOVE subway once in a while, and was wondering what the healthiest bread choice is. LET ME KNOW PLEASE! :flowerforyou:

There is no healthiest bread at Subway. It is highly processed, garbage food like substance.

The only "real food" at Subway is the vegetables they put on those sandwiches.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Subway smells like homeless people.
  • onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    meh to all of them
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!:sad: I LOVE subway once in a while, and was wondering what the healthiest bread choice is. LET ME KNOW PLEASE! :flowerforyou:

There is no healthiest bread at Subway. It is highly processed, garbage food like substance.

That is no help at all.......
  • maria_elaina
    maria_elaina Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Just realized that the 'whole grain' subway bread is made with enriched wheat flour, so its basically just white bread!

This is news to me, sad news :(

I feel your pain! :sad:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options

Why not? Its not real food.
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    Options

Why not? Its not real food.
    Your opinion is noted, but the OP asked for specific advice on the types of bread. We get it--you think you have the right diet. Cool for you. Just because it's right for you doesn't make it right for everyone, and snide comments don't help people at all. That was my point.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I go for Italian for low calories generally - turkey breast and ham because it's in the £3 deal. Though now owed 3 subs free as you got triple points in the first month after registering online and that worked on me :).

But generally I'm happy with the fibre etc I get elsewhere and prefer the taste of white.

"Just a little" sweet onion sauce - local one is pretty good but some stores the staff seem to have the three-sweep squidge of sauce in their muscle memory which can't be over-ridden :(.

:?
    Of course bread is 'highly processed'. That's rather the point of it; if it wasn't processed, it's just be some grain; and thus not nearly as good at containing the contents of my sammich ;).
  • gaylynn35
    gaylynn35 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Italian
  • debsclio
    Options
    As a treat I have a subway melt on wheat, as for the UK i think its the healthier option. I have no sauce just lettice cucumber and sweetcorn. Its only just under 400 calories for a 6 inch and it keeps me really full up so I don't snack, and for excercise I walk from my work into town which is 20 mins each way.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    Options
    I go for Italian for low calories generally - turkey breast and ham because it's in the £3 deal. Though now owed 3 subs free as you got triple points in the first month after registering online and that worked on me :).

But generally I'm happy with the fibre etc I get elsewhere and prefer the taste of white.

"Just a little" sweet onion sauce - local one is pretty good but some stores the staff seem to have the three-sweep squidge of sauce in their muscle memory which can't be over-ridden :(.

:?
    Of course bread is 'highly processed'. That's rather the point of it; if it wasn't processed, it's just be some grain; and thus not nearly as good at containing the contents of my sammich ;).

I don't eat highly processed frankenfoods. I eat for health and nutrition. I eat to live, not live to eat.