Healthiest bread at subway

Options

Replies

• jessicataylor2
    Options
    I worked at subway and the honey oat is the same piece of wheat bread but we roll it in some oats and things. What I would do is get wheat bread but I'd scoop out most of the insides. That way it's a lot less of the bread so it's better for you :) Also, if you toast it like this it gets a little crispier which I like
  • funkyspunky872
    funkyspunky872 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Open face sandwich, scooping out the insides, skipping the bread entirely? Guys, bread from subway isn't going to kill you. Carbs aren't the enemy. Yes, I realize that their wheat is carmel colored white bread, but what's so wrong with white bread every now and then? Jeez. Everybody's driving me nuts.
  • Advaya
    Advaya Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I have a legit subway addiction. Its one of the only "fast food" restaurants I enjoy eating at. I just get the honey oat and whatever I'm craving. I try to eat well otherwise, so subway is my treat. I'm odd, I'll admit. It's the damn cookies that get me.
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Open face sandwich. 1/2 the carbs, all of the insides, go heavy on the veg.. A bit messy to eat I will grant you that. Lose all or at least toss 1/2 the cheese and mayo of course.
    I wish they made wraps...

They do make wraps in Australia, is that not a thing elsewhere?
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    The flatbread is actually higher in calories than white or 9 grain bread.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread while losing weight unless you have a medical condition that may affect it. Many people include bread in their successful diet.

OP - I wouldn't worry about it if it is an occasional thing. As long as it fits in your macros, go with it. while i don't consider Subway a health food, it certainly isn't the worst choice on occasion.

Of course you can. But you're certainly going to make it hard on yourself by eating 450 calories of highly processed bread (and hence simple carbs) in a single meal.

Most people who are trying to lose fat while holding onto most of their muscle aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, which often works out to around a 40/30/30 balanced diet plan. So you'd have to make up for the high carb subway meal by eating high protein and low carb the rest of the day. In other words your subway sandwich would be your junk food for the day. Or you could try dieting via high carb / low fat . . . and that has such a great track record.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If their bread titled "whole grain" is just dyed and processed sugar, the rest with names like "Honey Oat" aren't going to be any better. If you eat it rarely, just enjoy and don't worry too much.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    If their bread titled "whole grain" is just dyed and processed sugar, the rest with names like "Honey Oat" aren't going to be any better. If you eat it rarely, just enjoy and don't worry too much.

It's "9 grain wheat bread" and it has caramel colouring. The white bread is ten calories less and tastes a lot better. :)

The honey oat is made from the wheat bread but just rolled in a topping that adds a few grams of fiber and sugar.

There is only the frozen white breadsticks and frozen wheat breadsticks. All of the "different" breads are just toppings you roll the thawed sticks in and then proof (italian herbs & cheese, parmesan oregano, etc)
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options

I never said I had to drown it in dressing, I only like a little because I don't like the taste of a plain salad. But even a little bit of low fat dressing has a ton of sodium.

They have oil and vinegar, I would use that.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    sometimes they have wheat english muffins. usually i get the honey oat and only eat the bottom half of the bread.
  • Bigmitch41
    Bigmitch41 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    None i'm afraid, all bread is evil and should be avioded if at all possible....
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Open face sandwich. 1/2 the carbs, all of the insides, go heavy on the veg.. A bit messy to eat I will grant you that. Lose all or at least toss 1/2 the cheese and mayo of course.
    I wish they made wraps...

They do make wraps in Australia, is that not a thing elsewhere?

our Subways here used to make wraps and they got rid of them to bring in the flatbread which was disappointing.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    If I'm stuck eating at a food court, I'll pick Subway over the other options (I try to make sure this doesn't happen often - not a fan of food courts...)

I pick the 9 grain - seems to be the lesser evil.

Their website has a fantastic 'meal builder' on it - you can change up all sorts of options, and it will give you the macros for your whole meal. Try it out - if you're going to eat at Subway, it's awesome to have a plan before you get there.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    If you eat it rarely, just enjoy and don't worry too much.

x2.

However, from a purely health viewpoint I think you are better off choosing the white version if all the available options fit into your daily calorie / macro goals for the day*

* This isn't a joke. Whole grains in my view are a hugely over rated diet food.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Of course you can. But you're certainly going to make it hard on yourself by eating 450 calories of highly processed bread (and hence simple carbs) in a single meal.

White bread is not a simple carb
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I choose the 9-grain honey oat, personally... but the reality is that their breads are all pretty much the same nutritionally... give or take a calorie or carb here and there.

They have a nutrition guide on their website. Look it up and compare them yourself. Why rest your choice on hearsay? Do a little research.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I always get honey oat, but your question made me wonder, so I Looked at their ingredient list. The honey oat is actually just their wheat bread with honey spread on it and a bunch of grains and things stuck to it. I will probably still eat it though, because it is not very often that I eat out.
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    If you want a topping from there, try the sweet onion sauce. 21g (about 1.5T) is fat free, 40 cals and 90 sodium.

This - and I go with the tuna salad salad - protein, low carbs and yummy ;)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    None of the bread at subway is "healthy" or good for losing weight. Bread is not generally good for weight loss anyway, but subways is especially high calorie. I imagine the flat bread is probably the lowest calorie of the breads, but I could be wrong. If you must eat their super high calorie bread, just go with whichever one is lowest in calories.

Or better yet, get a salad!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with bread while losing weight unless you have a medical condition that may affect it. Many people include bread in their successful diet.

OP - I wouldn't worry about it if it is an occasional thing. As long as it fits in your macros, go with it. while i don't consider Subway a health food, it certainly isn't the worst choice on occasion.

^^^^times like a million.

Flatbread is higher and calories and has less fiber (tho it's damn tasty!). And a 6 inch wheat bread Subway sandwich runs in the 350-390 cal range. Surely you can fit in a 390 cal lunch and still lose weight, right? Doesn't matter if it's wheat bread, or enriched bread, or a 350 calorie sized stick of butter, if you end the day/week in a calorie deficit, you'll still be losing weight.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Most people who are trying to lose fat while holding onto most of their muscle aim for at least 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass, which often works out to around a 40/30/30 balanced diet plan. So you'd have to make up for the high carb subway meal by eating high protein and low carb the rest of the day. In other words your subway sandwich would be your junk food for the day. Or you could try dieting via high carb / low fat . . . and that has such a great track record.

Yes, I am quite familiar with the 40/30/30 concept.
    A - a serving of subway isn't going to throw your macros off that bad you need to eat no carbs the rest of the day. Most of the subs do have a decent amount of protein a 6 inch roast chicken break down to 54/20/26. It wouldn't be hard to balance that.

B - even if you did have to restrict carbs the rest of the day, so what? I love sushi. It kills my carb macro. I plan around it so I can still eat what I enjoy and hit my macros.

C - the OP said it is occasional. One day of being high in one macro isn't going to make or break the diet. I am not sure why you would suggest switching to a high carb low fat diet because she occasionally likes to eat something a little higher in carbs.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    If you want a topping from there, try the sweet onion sauce. 21g (about 1.5T) is fat free, 40 cals and 90 sodium.

This - and I go with the tuna salad salad - protein, low carbs and yummy ;)

The tuna salad used to be my favorite but it is one of the worst sandwiches for you there. too much regular mayo. I love their egg whites with bacon, though.