Inter-racial or multicultural couples out there :)

Options
Hi Who out there are in inter-racial or multi cultural families out there?! I just thought it would be fun to know. Also may be fun to talk about what kinds of foods you cook, or if one cultures food have been better for dieting over an other.

My name is Tina and I am white/catholic and my hubby is Indian and Sikh from Punjab India. I lovebeing in a multi cultural family. My daughter gets both religions, languages and cultures.

As for food, Indian food is great for dieting! Daals and subjis are wonderful and so low in calorie.

Lets hear about all of you wonderful mixtures and relationships and foods :)

Replies

• gkwatra
    gkwatra Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    My husband is also Punjabi and is originally from Mumbai. Yes, I love Indian food there are so many nutritious options!!
  • tinarallhan
    Options
    Wow that is so awesome!!!
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    hiya, im white/English and my husband is mixed English and Indian, his family are also from Punjab :) i love the food and am so lucky that he makes really low fat but super tasty curries...obviously i love him for more than just his cooking skills,but it certainly helps ;)
  • NuclearMosquito
    NuclearMosquito Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend's parents are from Pakistan (he was born in the US) and I am white. Pakistani food is very similar to Indian food, and everything I've tried so far has been delicious! I love daal and biryani and all the chickpea dishes. However, I have learned when he tells me a food is 'not spicy', I shouldn't believe him.

He was raised Muslim and I was raised Christian, but now we are equally nonbelievers, so the religious differences aren't an issue for us.
  • gothamriots
    Options
    I am actually Indian and was born and brought up here. And my boyfriends have always loved my food! So, you know, cooking tips or whatever, I'm happy to share. Though it seems like you're doing just great :-)
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i've never dated anyone of my race, and i find other cultures so interesting!

in a relationship its great to be open to what the other person brings. unique differences - and of course regardlss of race religion etc there are also always similarities :)
  • okidoki7
    okidoki7 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    i think its lovely to mix cultures :)
  • MorbidMander
    MorbidMander Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Mine isn't really as cool or exciting as everyone else's, lol. I'm a very white New Yorker and my boyfriend is an also very pale Englishman, has the accent and everything. Our cultures are.. a lot alike and yet different at the same time. It's fun to notice the cultural differences, and in our accents as well, never boring that's for sure!
  • mpmama2re
    mpmama2re Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Im mexican and my husband is vietnamese. I love both cultures! my boys are beautiful and they love learning about both. sadly they don't speak spanish or vietnamese (big mistake on our part), I'm still trying to teach them. viet food is awesome!
  • tinarallhan
    Options
    I love hearing all these stories!! Food is so important to a culture and its great to find a meaningful and creative way to share that. My daughter just loves both foods and its so much fun. @gothamriots I always love recipes lol, are you north or south Indian?
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I am European and my husband is American, both white. I grew up eating Italian and Greek food ( mostly greek)..so thats what I knew to cook..

I rarely cook greek anymore because it takes too long..But we go to my moms for dinner every saturday and we love the fatty greek food she makes. I try to get some good cardio before going though.

Edit: as far as culture and language, my son is going to be a confused kid. I speak Italian, Albanian and Greek and my husband speaks English..Will see how that goes..
  • _lizzie_
    _lizzie_ Posts: 130
    Options
    Kind of a mutt mix but my mom is Mexican and 1/4 Japanese (she doesnt speak japanese or know much about the heritage) and my dad is German-American, as in from Germany several generations ago, not as in speaks German and still has family there. He looks very German though! Me, I think I mostly look white, kind of off-white really lol! But I do have almond eyes. Also, Im dating a Scott :happy: You are definitely right about the two cultures and languages though, I felt so lucky growing up and having that! Mexican food isn't so great for dieting though :grumble:
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,736 Member
    Options
    My wife is from Cuba, came to this country during the Muriel Boatlift, on a tiny boat that probably had 10 more people than it should have. Cuban food is absolutely fantastic!
  • gothamriots
    Options
    I love hearing all these stories!! Food is so important to a culture and its great to find a meaningful and creative way to share that. My daughter just loves both foods and its so much fun. @gothamriots I always love recipes lol, are you north or south Indian?

Well, mom's family (a couple generations before her) is from the south but she was brought up in the north, dad is from the south. So I'm a mix.
  • RonitMig
    RonitMig Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I am Jewish (Israeli), and my husband is Catholic/Italian (his mom is off the boat Polish, and mine are off the boat Israeli). Suprisingly (or maybe not, his mother and I cook very similarly (my grandparents were Polish, and migrated to Israel after the Holocaust). It works out great, because I LOVE her cooking and she loves mine. We both know I make the best chicken soup though.
    We celebrate both holidays... Kosher for Passover Easter is difficult, but doable. It is fun teaching her how to make middle-eastern dishes though like baba ganoush and hummus :)
  • RopenChoke
    RopenChoke Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My wife's from California and I'm from Louisiana. We're both white but they're definitely different cultures!
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    My background is French Canadian,Mohawk Indian,and Creole...
    My Hubby is Afro American,Native American,Carribean...
    our little boys are beautiful,...and although I often cook healthy things,..on cheat days I cook good 'ol fashioned Soul Food,w/ a dash of Creole! we are also diff faiths but both Christians. : )~ luv my mixed fam!
  • Chubbyhulagirl
    Chubbyhulagirl Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am Hawaiian, Vietnamese, Portuguese and Maori and my husband is Japanese, Okinawan and Korean. We have hugely blended/mixed cultures. Love all oriental food and most are pretty healthy and heavy on the vegetables. Unfortunately, food in Hawaii is delicious and not as healthy...:)

ETA: Most local places here serve a mix of filipino, polynesian, portuguese, chinese and european foods. A plate lunch for $7-$9 can easily be 1200-2500 calories.
  • tinarallhan
    Options
    Wow this is so great!
  • minsooky
    Options
    I am Korean and Scandinavian and my husband is a white mutt (mostly Danish). I was raised in a primarily Korean household though so I feel 100% Korean. At home we're pretty normal, although I rarely get to cook Korean food due to where I live, but at family gatherings I must admit I feel like a foreigner. Especially the food! I am so home sick for good Korean food :(