Have I gone crazy???

Options

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Great idea. I understand that it's a vacation and just enjoy yourself but many restraunt meals aren't really that good and your own will be. If there is great food available, go out. If not eat what you bring.
  • jos05
    jos05 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with being prepared!! And dedicated!! You've got this!! :) *** NOT CRAZY AT ALL!!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I travel a lot for work, and when I get wherever I'm staying, I head to the grocery store and buy a jug of water, yogurt, fruit and snacks. That way I know what I'm eating!

I usually weigh and pack snacks at home too... or bring a wrap, easy to eat in the car
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    I went a vacation this summer and ate out the entire time...never gained a ounce. I ate veggie omelets in the morning with a little fruit. I had chicken salads at lunch and grilled fish or chicken with veggies & a side sald for dinner. I had nuts, apple, berries and wasa crackers for snacksI passed on all the bread, pasta, and potatoes. You will do fine...just make good choices.
  • JohnMessmer
    Options
    I think it is a great plan. Maybe you can get in some different exercise while you are there, most hotels have work out facilities of some sort. Just think how great it would be to come back from a three day fitness extravaganza.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I would totally do it! Sounds like a great way to stay on track.
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I say do what you have to do for you only you know what it takes to keep yourself on track :smile:
  • smallbeer
    smallbeer Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Awesome!
  • navstone
    Options
    Do what makes you comfortable with your program. Good luck and have fun
  • JacksMom12
    JacksMom12 Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    Do what you gotta do! Heads up though: many cesaer salads have as many calories as a burger and fries.

Oh yeah, and definitely take advantage of the hotel gym, they are usually empty in the afternoon and you'll have the whole thing to yourself!
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I think those are all good ideas. Whatever helps you stick to your program is good-- you won't have much fun if you're constantly worrying that you're derailing yourself!
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    No, not crazy at all. It is a sign that you are truly trying to do better with your food choices. My famliy took a vacation to the beach this summer, and normally we would have just eaten out every night with no thought to what kind of crap and how many calories we were eating. But this time, we planned ahead. We picked one night that we were going to go to our favorite restaurant there (Joes Crab Shack), and then we made other healthier plans for the other time .On the days that we were going to be on the beach for extended periods, we took a cooler full of water, fruit, and other healthy snacks. We also made a point of walking as much as possible, taking the stairs at the hotel, etc. This was a huge thing for us! It is a great idea to plan ahead in this kind of situation so that you can not get derailed!
  • TheCaren
    TheCaren Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about making decisions. If you have all the healthy stuff available and choose to have a danish one morning, big whoop. But don't eat the danish because you have no other option. Having the good stuff around is an awesome idea! If I eat junk it's gonna be because I CHOOSE to eat junk and not for lack of reasonable alternatives.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    NOPEl ! Not Crazy! I travel for work, and I pack food all of the time to ensure I stay on my eating plan. But I travel overseas and it's harder to find certain things, but I always try to get a room with a mini bar fridge and hit the local grocery store for fresh fruit and veggies. I went on Vac to Hawaii in June and actually lost 2 lbs.!!
  • kishawo
    Options
    i think that its awesome and just a great thing to do, i believe it will keep you focused and balanced. good idea , something i would do . And in all of that have a fun time:)
  • nikosneeko1
    nikosneeko1 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Not crazy! Your making a plan so you don't get off track and then feel guilty...I would splurge for one meal out to eat though for sure:wink:
  • edge_dragoncaller
    edge_dragoncaller Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    having healthy snacks on hand is a good idea, the scale and measuring cup are a little nutty

I agree. If it's just to weigh some fruit and milk, I'd go ahead and eyeball it for 3 days. But whatever keeps you on track is a good thing.

I'm in agreement here too. If you are sticking with fresh foods, and we're not talking fresh 20 oz rib-eyes, then I don't think you'll blast your calorie intake that much. Just take the 3 days and enjoy the trip!
  • Behavior_Modification
    Behavior_Modification Posts: 24,482 Member
    Options
    I applaud you.
  • KipDrordy
    KipDrordy Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You don't need the scale, but I love the rest of your plan. I absolutely hate staying away from home for extended time. It really sucks having to eat out every meal. We don't eat out that much at home, so when we take to the road my stomach turns on me after a few days of eating nothing but restaurant food. I don't mind eating at restaurants on a limited basis, but existing off them for several days really wears me down.
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I disagree with the posters who imply that taking time to weigh your food is related to not taking an enjoyable vacation. For some people, that may be true, but for me, I'd be so proud of myself for eating well that it would IMPROVE my enjoyment of my vacation.

I think that weighing and measuring your food while you're gone is totally fine. As long as it isn't impeeding your dinner plans with your family (which doesn't sound like it is, only for breakfast and lunch I understood), then that's great! And think of how much more you'll enjoy eating out when you do go!