Amputee on a mission.

Options
So I am a Iraq vet who had a amputation back in 2008 due to issues from blast injures from 2005. Being a amputee you have to relearn how to be active again. Well for the first two years it was hard to be active due to fit issues with my legs, then the last two years it has gotten better. My wife and I are on a mission to stay active and healthy for our son. My first goal is to get my body weight down to about 190. Thats only 10 more pounds for me to lose. The second is to be able to run a 5k. In the Marines we have to run 3 miles in under 30-28 minutes in my age range. I hated running before because I was forced to, now I want to run because I have not been able to. Its funny you want something you seem to not be able to have so easily.

Replies

• runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Love this post!! Good luck my friend!!! I hated running too, now I do it cause it's fun! :)
  • mightdomightnot
    mightdomightnot Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    loving your attitude....I've no doubt you'll reach your goals and inspire many around here :)
  • chip40
    chip40 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Im suffering from accumulative work related lower back injuries-2 herniated disks and Spondylolisthesis in a addition to a torn achilles tendon. By no means can it compare to your sacrifice you had to endure for our country. But my injuries do come with limitations of not being able to do things I use to do in my twenties. I am learning to lose weight watching my calories and doing excersises that fit me now at my age. Like you, I am looking to drop to 190lbs from 220. It will be a learning process man. But your goals to work hard for you son is great.
  • jessym7910
    jessym7910 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I haven't been able to run for three years and I've had to overcome some healthy. Now I can so I wanna run just like you. Keep it up! You're an inspiration.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you will meet your goal! Thank you for your service to our country. Blessings.
  • SusannaDandana
    Options
    You are super inspiring.
  • itsjustdawn
    itsjustdawn Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I teared up while reading this!
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your service. Good luck with your goals.
  • clover5
    clover5 Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Best of luck on your MFP journey. This is a wonderful website w/ mostly nice folks. Thank you for your service and sacrifice on our behalf. I am a family gal and a runner. I love running, but I do a variety of exercises. Send a friend request if you want.
  • 180farm
    180farm Posts: 230
    Options
    I have no doubt you'll reach your goal. You have completely inspired me. I have tried running before and have always hated it. I signed up for a run with obstacle courses in the spring so I would have no choice but to do it. I forgot how grateful I should be for having two good legs. Thank you for your service and for reminding people to work with the situations they are given. Good luck with every new goal you set for yourself. The sky is the limit with the great attitude you have.
  • RoadsterGirlie
    RoadsterGirlie Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    What an inspiration you are. God bless you, and thank you for your service.
  • Leggo76
    Options
    Congrats on getting yourself active again. I too am an amputee. It seems that we have very similar stories. I lost my left leg below the knee in 2006 in a motorcycle accident (I survived 2 deployments and the sandbox and got taken out in TX due to an inattentive driver). I also went through about 2 years of not doing much. due to a poor fitting foot. I got new feet in early 2009 and my life changed. Since then I have run 5 marathons and a bunch of 5K's, I just ran the Army 10 miler, and I am now doing the Insanity workouts.
    As long as you keep your head up and be smart you can get through any workout. Sometimes you have to get a little creative, but that's all part of the fun. If there is anything I can do to help let me know.
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of you for fighting for your country. You are one of my heroes. You are an inspiration to all of us that just don't want to get off the couch. I can't exercise right now due to recovering from major abdominal surgery, but as soon as I have the go-ahead I am headed back to the gym. You have great motivators in your kids. Keep up the great motivation and you will be able to do the 5k in no time. My husband was a Marine that fought in Vietnam, so I do understand a little about what you've gone through by talking to him. Feel free to add me.
  • Jacquis59
    Options
    You are an inspiration! I agree with Smokey - you are a hero! You also make me ashamed that I don't get my butt up off the couch more and MOVE more!! You may be just the push I need to take the stairs from the 2nd floor at work today up to the 6th for my lunch in the cafe at noon. :) You're gonna make it. You've got a great spirit!
  • Donners185
    Donners185 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Good luck!!!! XO.
  • Alderaic
    Alderaic Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Amazing motivation, Good luck and keep us posted on your running results!
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Thank you for everything you've done and sacrificed for our country.

What an inspiration, and so motivational! You can do it :)
  • crystalbluewolf13
    crystalbluewolf13 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    you are amazing! good luck hun
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all you have done and sacraficed for me...and our country....you are an amazing gift and I wish you all the luck......
  • Terree83
    Options
    It's amazing to read something like this.. I hear friends, family or people at work often complaining or making excuses as to why they can't change their diet or fit in 20 minutes a day for exercise.. and here you are.. after suffering a horrible injury.. wanting and willing to get yourself back into shape and shed a few pounds. You are a true inspiration! Thank you so much for your service to this country!