How does one survive on 1200 calories per day anyway??

Options

Replies

• 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    I have been buying mini bagels for our grocery store. They satisfy my bagel hunger and are only about 150 calories. The bagel thins don't do it for me, I like my bagels thick and chewy! The mini bagels work well.
  • jnj1013
    jnj1013 Posts: 27
    Options
    I have a BMR of 1,051 (I'm short - 5'3" and only 8 lbs from goal) so I try to net at 1,100 calories per day. This is only ever an issue for me on days that I don't exercise, which for me is usually just one day a week. Here's how today went by the way in case you were wondering

Breakfast - 231 calories (cofee with fat free vanilla creamer, 1 cup of green grapes, 2 weight watchers string cheese sticks)
    Lunch - 375 calories (shredded chicken salad from a local mexican restaurant, about 3 cups of lettuce, chicken, no cheese or chips and instead of dressing I had salsa on top - I actually didn't even finish it, it was so much food)
    Dinner - I already have a plan for 230 calories (100 calorie sandwich round, 6 slices of oscar meyer roast beef, 40 calorie sargento thin cheese slice with lettuce & tomato and a just for one broccoli tray)

That puts me at 836 calories, I'd like a larger dinner but unfortunately today Halloween I've also had 2 mini whoppers for 63 calories and a slice of homemade chocolate cake for 430 calories that was made by my co-worker. That is going to put me at 1,330 calories for today, but like I said, I'm exercise almost every day of the week and I'm doing my normal 10K route tonight.

On most days, the way that I do it is that I pick the meal that I want to be my larger meal which on average is around 500 calories and then I split my remaining calories between my other 3 meals. I rarely feel the need or urge to snack and I keep 100 calorie pack almonds in my desk just in case I do want a snack. It's doable, it's not easy sometimes and it takes real discipline, but it is totally attainable and I am not hungry all the time.

The other thing is that on most days, as I sad I work out and try to burn 500 calories a day (running & boot camp are my favorites right now), on those days (like today) if I want to eat more I do, but I never eat back all of my exercise calories.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    eat better, less calorie-dense foods. It's really not as hard as it sounds to do. I upped mine only because it is more expensive to buy all the food that's good for you.
  • kimad
    kimad Posts: 3,010 Member
    Options
    I was also able to be full on 1200 cals/day, I had to make really smart choices though. Not alot of room for crap.
    I was more comfortable at 1300 cals a day though, but have started allowing more as I am close to my goal.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I can't tell you if 1200 is enough or not. What I do know is that when your diet is mostly nutritious food (fresh produce), those calories don't add up as quickly.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1250 589 - 470 119

Well...

I can say it is very manageable lol... Just depends how you go about it...

Sure I could have made better choices, but a pizza and popcorn for supper? What could be wrong with that lol... Sure, galic/chilli pita more than pizza... but hey.. it's on a pizza base :D
  • alanacareyb
    Options
    Hi :)

I've been set 1200 - however, I'm the opposite to you, I struggle most days to get to 1200; I don't really eat much but I have recently started to make sure I have breakfast in the morning; I used to miss breakfast because I wasn't hungry and would eat at around 12pm-1pm. But please don't get me wrong, my current weight is 211lbs.

I struggle with my calorific intake, but in a different way to you; I would suggest perhaps fore-seeing what you're going to eat during the day - planning what to have for breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks and calculate how much these calories add up to before actually eating the food so you can avoid it if it takes you over your daily goal and that way, you can change your food accordingly and always stick to your calorific goals.

Hope this helps.

Alana
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I have no problem staying at 1200. My advice, no matter how many calories you are set at, is to log your food before you eat. YOu can see how much it is and avoid that surprise after.

THIS for sure!!! I always log before I eat. If I am really organized I can log the whole day in the morning. It works great, like a puzzle!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    1200 calories per day is not recommended.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Well, I started MFP just 45 days ago. When I did, the site figured 1200 calories per day for me. Ok...I tried that. Sure, I lost weight, but like you, I was starving! THEN someone told me the little hint about "eating back your exercise calories". Wow...what a difference! When I started doing that, I was no longer starving AND I still lost weight.

Good luck! :smile:
  • brennsie
    Options
    It's all about eating the right foods.

In a whole tomato, there are only 25 calories - that's basically nothing! Pair that with a large salad (lettuce - 20 calories, celery - 5 calories, light dressing - 40 calories), you have a whole FILLING meal for under 100 calories. And yes, that is a rather dull salad. Add cucumbers, carrots, and peppers to give it a little more flavor, while still keeping it under 200 calories.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I ate 1200 or 1300 for a couple months. Typical diet,

Breakfast : eggs, toast, avocado, sriracha. or protein shake.
    Lunch : Chicken breast, veggie. Or tortilla wrap with turkey, spinach, honey mustard and veggie. kashi pizza if i was lazy.
    Snack : Fat free cottage cheese with 1T of jam, or fat free greek yogurt with berries/flaxseed or chia
    Snack # 2 (if i wanted it) : almonds. jerky. salad.
    Dinner : Burger with bun, sweet potato fries. Or pasta with protein and zucchini. or bbq chicken and broccoli.

Eating at such low calories you really have to bump up the vegetables, fruits, and spices/flavorings. And dessert wasn't ever really an option, unless I accepted I was going into the red for the day.
  • taraliana
    taraliana Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    They calculate your intake based on your current weight and if you did NOTHING everyday, if you eat at least 1200 cals/day you'd lose 2lbs./week! You MUST incorporate exercise and a portion controlled diet. My tracker says my net goal is 1200/day but I'm consuming around 1500-1700 cals./day which is PERFECT for me! I workout 4 days a week and do light jump rope whenever I wanna get moving (since I work in front of monitors all day). I track my exercise which allows me to eat more since i've burned! I'm losing 2 lbs/week and eating a lot of deliciousness, but I do portion control and don't eat junk. I'm eating great meals, I'm cooking more, too. Now I think I'm a chief, hehehehe... It will take time to develop a routine that works for you and your body, hun! GOOD LUCK! :)
  • Chellellelle
    Chellellelle Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I eat 1300 calories a day and it really is easy. You just have to pay attention to what you're eating and your portions. Figure out healthier alternatives to things you like to eat. Yeah, you might get a little hungry in between meals/snacks, but it's not like you are going to starve to death in that amount of time. :)
  • meemeejones
    Options
    Hey, TJ---I'm Bev. I'm right in there with you. Hungry has been my middle name all my life. We grew up on lots of refined carbs---who wasn't in my generation? My mom just did what most other moms did regarding meals---the result was a family who had screwy metabolisms from all the refined carbs and simple sugars. Here is what i have learned:

USE OF SPICES: when my food is well-seasoned, I am more satisfied with my meals. We have a Nepali student living with us currently, and Sanjay loves to cook (he's good at it!). He uses a lot of spices that were brand new to us: cumin, curry, coriander, red pepper
    all I ever used before was salt and pepper. I've learned to put these in everything!--potatoes, green beans, eggs, stir-fry dishes---almost everything.

BEANS: get them dried at the groc. You may be familiar with dried beans, but if not, they are so spittin' easy to make: soak them for an hour or so before you cook them in a saucepan with some water---you can still cook them if you DON'T soak them, but you will need to add more water--they will soak it up. Beans are fabulous on your food log---complex carbs with high fiber, so we stay feeling full longer, no fat , no simple sugar, and high protein. Use the above seasonings in the beans as they cook for a flavorful, filling dish which has become my first choice (that's saying a lot---I'm a reformed junk junkiie!) Even 9-5 working gals can make beans when they come home from work. (NB: my husband has purchased me some Beano---not a problem!) Regarding calorie intake, you can eat beans all day long, as much as you can stand, and you will still probably be under your calorie goal. I'm working on a very low 1200 cal daily limit.

SMOOTHIES: I use my food processor (when I am on the verge of a sugar binge) to make smoothies---I prefer bananas, because they make a naturally creamy drink, but I have also used oranges, blueberries, papayas---what ever I've got. I add half water and half soy milk AND I ADD EITHER WHEAT BRAN, PSYLLIUM HUSK OR SOME OTHER FIBER SUPPLEMENT. tj, I am a bit of a food-Spartan---if it works, I tend to eat whatever suits my goals, with not a great emphasis on how it tastes.... but the smoothies are good.

When I am flat-out having a major sugar craving, I have learned to give my self the sugar I crave, but just enough to satisfy it. --eg., a 1/2 tsp of honey or sugar , or a small handful of cranberries. I do not worry about fresh fruit at all--even though fruit has a lot a sugars, they are different from table sugar and they will not make us fat. ... So eat all the apples, bananas, blueberries, peaches etc that you want.

Everyone has a unique metabolism. Your job is to understand the God-designed function of your unique & special body and manage it accordingly.

Hey--if you get any good tips from other memebers, I would love to hear them! Do well, LOve, Bev

PS--remember taht every so often, you still need a waffle!! hahahaha!! I'm in Lynchburg VA--meet me at the Waffle House 1st of the month! hahaha!
  • Sjudit84
    Sjudit84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi! I am 5'7 and I weigh about 59 kg now (sorry I donno how much that is in lbs). My lifestyle is sedentary and I also consume 1200 cals per day...When I eat clean and dont put a ton of condiments on my food or I dont eat stuff just to move my mouth, I am totally OK with 1200 cals. But to be honest when I want to let go and not look at what I am eating, I ALWAYS go to at least 1500 cals or even more. So I always want ot be able to eat a bit more, so I exercise almost every day, or just walk really fast if I have to go somewhere (I walk everywhere anyway). I dont think 1200 cals is that small amount...
  • RixxyRikaa
    RixxyRikaa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi, I joined here yesterday.
    I eat 1200-1350 a day. I'm 5' and 148lbs. I find that being anywhere near the lower side makes me extremely hungry. However, I agree with splitting up your calories per meal. I find what works best for me is actually having most of the calories in the morning, and having dinner as a light meal. I know that's opposite tradition in America, but it works for me.
  • DaphneAtx
    DaphneAtx Posts: 153
    Options
    I eat 1200 on many days and have no trouble. I eat primarily clean, so 1200 goes a long way. I frequently find myself UNDER 1200 and having to find something else to eat to make it to 1200. It's truly not that difficult.
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Practice. True that's not the right number of calories for everyone but it has been mine for a long time, I thnk because I am short.

Feel free to add me too as I am also on 1200/cal a day. You can see the kinds of things we eat to still EAT and make the goals.

and.. I always eat back my exercise. If 1200 is the minimum my body can deal with to lose weight and be healthy, why would i eat less?

ANYWAY, yes practice and lots of reading of labels and Googling "calories in a..."
    and listening to your body and logging EVERYTHING to find out the things that make you hungrier.
  • lindsiswatchingyou
    lindsiswatchingyou Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I also agree with everyone who says to check out other calculators to make sure that's the correct amount. My calorie intake is set at 1260, but I've verified that every which way to make sure I'm getting enough. I love to eat and have no desire to deprive myself of anything!