Subway - the KNIFE and other disgusting practices

Options

Replies

• sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    As long as the fork goes in the dishwasher lol why not

If you're talking about my dog I meant that we share the same fork.
  • MommyImHungry
    Options
    I have been gluten free for 1 year now and I LOVED Subway before. Now you can get salads there and let them know NO wheat etc., use clean knife, change gloves, etc... BUT! One day I was going to order one I watched in horror as they cut the sandwich order in front of mine and watched the crumbs slide down that sandwich paper slide right into the lunch meats & veggies that would've gone into a salald!! That would upset any celiac tummy horribly and I no longer order a salad there. I even took pics of it in progress. O.o
  • tommygirl15
    tommygirl15 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    I could go for some Subway right about now!
  • smiffy645
    smiffy645 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I never realised until this thread that these disturbing and frankly evil things happened. I have decided to divert my regular charity donation away from the funds to help injured troops returning from Afghanistan and instead find a charity that supports those who's lives have been blighted by Subway using a knife that was clearly contaminated with some of the most lethal toxins know to man (mayonnaise) or even worse, let breadcrumbs slip into other nutritious food stuffs.

It's disgusting that neither Mitt or Obama have picked up on this and made it a priority for the up coming elections. I intend to send a letter to someone to make sure this receives the attention it deserves!:mad:
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    a) We had a lady in our cafeteria that would use her fingers to smear the butter off of the knife and then lick it off her fingers between toast orders.

b) In high school the same mop was used to mop the cafeteria tables as the floors everwhere, including the bathrooms.

c) When I worked at the stadium, the hotdogs were prepared by using the pail that was later used to mop the floors, and fillling it full of hot water from the coffee machine, and putting the frozen weiners in it till they were bendy, then serving them.

d) my dog is the pre wash cycle for our plates before they go in the dishwasher ( I love to freak people out who were just over for dinner and pretend to put them straight back in the cabinet when hes done LMAO!)

and Im still alive and well :) and the subway knife doesnt bother me even a tichy bit!
  • chickie11
    chickie11 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Ewwww I will now just ask...dont cut it unless you use a fresh plastic knife!!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Ewwww I will now just ask...dont cut it unless you use a fresh plastic knife!!

JESUS! NOT PLASTIC! Plastic transmit dioxylethers to the food.
  • NP5150
    NP5150 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Amen to that
  • Freidon
    Freidon Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    oh, in the uk, they have squeezy sauce bottles, the knife only gets used to cut the breads.....

Strange. I live in the US, and the local one has always used squeezable bottles. I haven't seen it done any differently in my county, at least.
  • NP5150
    NP5150 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Generally speaking, if you're overly concerned about sanitation I wouldn't suggest fast food.

Yes to this
  • Angie__1MR
    Angie__1MR Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Honestly, Subway disgusts me in general.

All that pre-sliced meat thats been sitting around in the open for hours... no thank you.

I agree, Subway repulses me. I'd rather not eat than eat Subway.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?

First of all, "Mom" is not serving the general public; thus, she does not have to adhere to the same laws of quality standards for food prep set forth by the FDA. Secondly, a mom would know her own children's allergies. Not so with restaurants.

Lastly, I used to work in an ER, and you'd be surprised at how many food allergy cases come in on a DAILY basis.

Just wanted to comment in this as my son has a serious allergy. Although I would LOVE it if I felt I could trust any restaurant/fast food outlet to serve their food in a way that doesn't endanger him, basically over the last few years I've come to accept that they don't really care much about that, to be honest. Mostly we eat the food which I cook at home. When we do go out, we take a 'calculated risk' by taking him to certain places (with epipens on hand) after first checking their websites and have to trust that what we don't see in the kitchen doesn't contaminate otherwise safe foods. Other people's houses are often just as bad! Otherwise we'd have to live in a bubble :)

To both of the last two comments:

It's not the responsibility of the restaurant to make sure customers avoid allergens. It's your responsibility as a parent and an individual to speak up. All they can do is try to reasonably accommodate you.

I agree. I said as much in my first post on this thread. Believe me, most parents with allergic children are VERRRRY diligent, but they also know that even with the best of care, it isn't always easy to keep on top of every single allergen. In Canada, for instance, we don't have strict labelling laws like they do in the USA, so sometimes, even the best of intentions on the part of parents, restaurants, and the allergic kids themselves go astray.

Howwever, it isn't asking too much to hold a restaurant acountable for standards they MUST legally adhere to, and speak up about it if/when you witness infractions. i.e, the Subway knife..

Where, exactly, is not wiping the knife illegal? I really want to know.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Seven pages later...

4540239_700b.jpg

Admit it.

The song's stuck in your head now.

And the thought of a crusty knife, plunging into a delicious sammich.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Well, if you dont like that and those ppl are making your food right in front of you knowing full well you can see them, then I hate to tell you what the ppl in the kitchen at your favorite sit down restaurant are doing to your food and the things they make that food on, knowing full well that you CANT see what they are doing. Just a thought.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    How do you uptight people live thru the day? By taking handfuls of anxiety pills, I guess. Trash hole? Do you think they are putting used diapers in there? They are pushing bread crumbs and spinach in there that hasn't been touched by human hands yet. And you want them to use a new knife on every sandwich? Really?

I love how people think this is how fast food gets made. THIS IS HOW ALL FOOD GETS MADE. Even in your own homes. Do you think your mom used a fresh knife on your PB&J sandwich after she cut your brother's? Good luck at Thanksgiving.

Can one of you alarmists please stop by your local ER and count how many people are there because of Subway, McDonalds or any other food place before you panic?

First of all, "Mom" is not serving the general public; thus, she does not have to adhere to the same laws of quality standards for food prep set forth by the FDA. Secondly, a mom would know her own children's allergies. Not so with restaurants.

Lastly, I used to work in an ER, and you'd be surprised at how many food allergy cases come in on a DAILY basis.

Just wanted to comment in this as my son has a serious allergy. Although I would LOVE it if I felt I could trust any restaurant/fast food outlet to serve their food in a way that doesn't endanger him, basically over the last few years I've come to accept that they don't really care much about that, to be honest. Mostly we eat the food which I cook at home. When we do go out, we take a 'calculated risk' by taking him to certain places (with epipens on hand) after first checking their websites and have to trust that what we don't see in the kitchen doesn't contaminate otherwise safe foods. Other people's houses are often just as bad! Otherwise we'd have to live in a bubble :)

It's not the responsibility of the restaurant to make sure customers avoid allergens. It's your responsibility as a parent and an individual to speak up. All they can do is try to reasonably accommodate you.

I agree. I said as much in my first post on this thread. Believe me, most parents with allergic children are VERRRRY diligent, but they also know that even with the best of care, it isn't always easy to keep on top of every single allergen. In Canada, for instance, we don't have strict labelling laws like they do in the USA, so sometimes, even the best of intentions on the part of parents, restaurants, and the allergic kids themselves go astray.

Howwever, it isn't asking too much to hold a restaurant acountable for standards they MUST legally adhere to, and speak up about it if/when you witness infractions. i.e, the Subway knife..

Chapter 4, Section 1 of the Fast Food Prep Code: "Cooties, Ick, and Other Unpleasant Issues"
  • stbrad6896
    Options
    Wow you people sure are picky about fast food. First of all I work at subway and if you don't like the food don't eat it. period. Also if people have allergies or just don't want mayo or whatever on ur sandwhich you can ask them to use a new knife. I have people request it all the time and I have NO problem doing so. And the glove issue? come on that's standard practice if gloves bother you again don't eat there. I know for myself I am constantly washing my hands, wiping the knife on the deli papers - not the "dirty" boards that get cleaned every day and get touched by nothing but other foods....? and I don't pick my nose and wipe it on my apron- gross! If you're having other people prepare your food then that's the risk you take!!! And also I think we might need to chill people do you have any idea what the factories where your foods are packaged and processed look like? here's a tip, start a garden and don't eat out in public because these "concerns" will follow you wherever you go.
  • Jxnsmma
    Jxnsmma Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    ILOVE transmissible dioxylethers !!!!
  • mananners77
    Options
    Every Subway I've gone to, they wipe the knife with a napkin and use the sheet of wax paper that they make the sub on to put things into the trash.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

Chapter 4, Section 1 of the Fast Food Prep Code: "Cooties, Ick, and Other Unpleasant Issues"

WHAT?! Damn Obamacare....
  • mommy2ans
    mommy2ans Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I love subway and it doesn't bother me. Those surfaces are clean, and they clean the knife after each sub...or atleast the ones where i live do...But like you said i'm sure the practices at other places where you can't see them make the food are much worse.