Fat moms = fat kids??

Options
Someone posted something about overweight parents being more likely to have overweight children no too long ago. I was reminded of that when I read the article below. Losing weight before getting pregnant just might lower the chances that your children will get fat.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/news/fullstory_130763.html

Excerpt:
Mothers' Weight-Loss Surgery Linked to Kids' Heart Health
MONDAY, Oct. 29 (HealthDay News) -- Children born to mothers who have had weight-loss surgery and lost a large amount of weight may have better heart health than their brothers or sisters who were born before their mothers lost the excess weight, a new study suggests.

This is likely because the weight loss and metabolic changes experienced by women after weight-loss surgery have a positive effect on inflammatory-disease-related genes in their children, said researchers from Laval University in Quebec City, Canada.

Replies

• SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Mine are both healthy and fit. What will keep them that way is what i am doing now.
  • holidaydra
    Options
    For real?! @_@ Are you sure this is not a troll post?!
  • wildapril
    wildapril Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My half brother and his wife are overweight, and have been for the majority of their lives. Their two children are both overweight as well, and while it might have to do with genes, it also has to do with their habits. Half of their facebook posts have to do with food- cupcakes, normal cakes, fried onions, beer, huge pizzas ... they love unhealthy food, and they and their children consume it in large amounts.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mine are both healthy and fit. What will keep them that way is what i am doing now.

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the fact that your children are currently fit is not the point. The study was on the genes of the children. Specifically on the difference in the genetics of siblings born to the same parent but one (or more) born when the mother was obese and the other(s) born after she lost weight.
  • SoViLicious
    Options

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the fact that your children are currently fit is not the point. The study was on the genes of the children. Specifically on the difference in the genetics of siblings born to the same parent but one (or more) born when the mother was obese and the other(s) born after she lost weight.

What matters to me is that they are not now and I make sure that as long as I care for them they don't become.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    You would *assume* there is a connection because what the parents eat/do, the children tend to follow.

However, research needs to prove or disprove this.

My kids are super skinny, like their father. My husband eats garbage, drinks like a Soldier (he is one), and his current unit hardly ever does PT. DH can still knock out a 7 minute mile no problems and is still within healthy range for his weight and height. Of course his liver is probably 2 beers away from shut down....

So what effect does genetics from the OTHER parent have on predicting this, not just the mother?? 50% of the kids are me, but 50% are not. And right now, they both seem to follow their dad in height/weight.
  • SoViLicious
    Options

I am going to read it during lunch. Thanks for the article.
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    As personal anecdotes go - my mother was a skinny rail and I was fat.

So the real question should be; Do skinny parents raise fat kids?
  • bcattoes
    Options
    For real?! @_@ Are you sure this is not a troll post?!

It's an article published by the National Institute of Health (NIH) re: study results presented at the Canadian Cardiovascular Congress. So, yeah. Just trolling.
  • RenewedRunner
    RenewedRunner Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    i personally don't think any woman more than 40 pounds overweight has any business being pregnant in the first place. it's selfish and irresponsible.

young women, if you want to have children someday take care of your body now and get in shape.

Umm what is the "selfish and irresponsible" line of reasoning here?
  • SoViLicious
    Options
    i personally don't think any woman more than 40 pounds overweight has any business being pregnant in the first place. it's selfish and irresponsible.

young women, if you want to have children someday take care of your body now and get in shape.

I am going to try not to tell you off. Are you a doctor? Have you spoken to a doctor? According to the BMI I am supposed to be 115lbs so 40bls over weight is 155. You are saying a woman 155bs should not be pregnant and is irresponsible. That is asinine. get me some facts and then i will listen.
  • SoViLicious
    Options

No i have to come back.. You are cray! What the hell are you smoking. Maybe you had too much Halloween candy?
  • akgordoa
    Options
    There is no such thing as a fat gene. Your genetics have little to nothing to do with how fat you are or can be. My mother is obese. Has been all her life. I may have been the chubby girl growing up, but I never have been fat due to something out of my control. It's the habits and choices you make with food and exercise that really matter.
  • bcattoes
    Options

Be careful that you don't fall off that high horse and break a bone.
  • Cyndi1
    Cyndi1 Posts: 484 Member
    Options

Are you serious???? we shouldnt judge on size of a person and them wanting kids... fitness is not some thing that everyone is concern with nor healthy eating... it choices. It's no difference then people who keep a clean house or people who couldnt careless... their lives they own it.... remember we are all different for a reason...
  • SoViLicious
    Options

Umm what is the "selfish and irresponsible" line of reasoning here?

This!!!!
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    mine is healthy and fit. Because I value is health more than mine, I make good activites and food choices for him.
  • Brianna72994
    Options

Not everyone plans on getting pregnant. Sometimes it just happens. What do you suggest they do, get an abortion just because theyre overweight?
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options

Wow....just....wow.

Judgmental much?
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options

Wow! That is something there! I personally believe that everyone has a choice. Had I not had my children when I was morbidly obese at the age of 20,22,and 24, I would never have had children. They are now 18, 20 , 22. All healthy weight children with no problems regarding their health.

It took me ages to lose the weight and to realize that I needed to lose the weight. I can't have kids now, had to have a hysterectomy at 26.

Your comment is just uninformed and really obnoxious.