Fat moms = fat kids??

Options

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    My mother is half my weight, I outweighed her by 15....i call bull.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I still firmly believe that a lot of the reason why obese parents often have obese children is poor home environment (lack of activity and good nutrition). There may be a genetic component, as described in the article, but to me the real question is whether or not that genetic component overrides the environmental issues.

I think except in rare cases, it's pretty obvious that environmental and personal choice are the biggest factors. Genetics may make it easier to gain and/or harder to lose weight, but it rarely prevents it.

But I thought the article was interesting in the suggestion that mothers may be able to exercise at least some control over the genetics piece for their children.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    My mother is half my weight, I outweighed her by 15....i call bull.

Bull?? What do you mean? You think the blood results in the study were wrong because your mom is half your size?? What am I missing? I don't see how those things relate.
  • Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Mine are both healthy and fit. What will keep them that way is what i am doing now.

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the fact that your children are currently fit is not the point. The study was on the genes of the children. Specifically on the difference in the genetics of siblings born to the same parent but one (or more) born when the mother was obese and the other(s) born after she lost weight.

What matters to me is that they are not now and I make sure that as long as I care for them they don't become.

I adore you. Smooches. Big, sloppy internet smooches coming your way.
  • UnoDrea3732
    UnoDrea3732 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    i personally don't think any woman more than 40 pounds overweight has any business being pregnant in the first place. it's selfish and irresponsible.

young women, if you want to have children someday take care of your body now and get in shape.

:noway:

So now I am selfish and irresponsible because I had a child when I was overweight? I personally think that no matter what weight you are when you have a child it does not mean that your child will be overweight. I do agree that if you are not set in the right mind of healthy eating that you could possibly be feeding your baby unhealthy food and that could possibly lead to an overweight child.

My mom was overweight when she had me, I was a skinny little kid then I became chunky after my parents divorced (I was 9). I was always fed healthy food and our Dad NEVER let us eat out. When I started getting $ from my Dad, I would eat out all the time and that's when the weight issues began.

BTW - I was 130lbs overweight when I had my 7lb 14oz girl and I am STILL around 60lbs overweight. She is 3yrs old, in the 50% in height/weight, LOVES vegetables and fruit, and her favorite snack is cottage cheese. I DO let her have mac&cheese, cheeseburger, chicken nuggets, french fries, or turkey hotdogs at least once a week. As we all know, moderation is the key.
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    But I thought the article was interesting in the suggestion that mothers may be able to exercise at least some control over the genetics piece for their children.

I agree. I lost 40 lbs before I got pregnant. Was still overweight, but no longer obese, and I'm hoping this will improve my son's odds of being healthy as well.

Thanks for sharing.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    Every single person on my mothers side of the family (and about 75% on my fathers side) are overweight, most of us are obese. If you see a thin person at a family event, they're related by marriage, haha.

I don't think it's genes though, mostly the family tradition of deep frying everything and then pouring gravy on it.
  • prov31jd
    prov31jd Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    i personally don't think any woman more than 40 pounds overweight has any business being pregnant in the first place. it's selfish and irresponsible.

young women, if you want to have children someday take care of your body now and get in shape.

Careful . . . your 'nasty' is showing. . .

. . . and your 'ignorance' . . . and your 'high and mighty' . . . such unattractive characteristics -- maybe put a paper bag on 'em?
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

Really? Perhaps we should also prevent pregnancy for anyone with a genetic condition, or an affinity for tattoos, or perhaps for religious or political reasons. Yes that would work, NOT!!!!!!!

Changed my mind...I'm not even going to feed into this, it's so ridiculous
  • nashai01
    nashai01 Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    bumping to read later
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Every single person on my mothers side of the family (and about 75% on my fathers side) are overweight, most of us are obese. If you see a thin person at a family event, they're related by marriage, haha.

I don't think it's genes though, mostly the family tradition of deep frying everything and then pouring gravy on it.

My mom's family is like that. They love to eat!

My dad's family are all bony skinny smokers.

I"m hoping to find a balance (sans smoking of course)... :smile:
  • missceevee1972
    Options
    I know this is your personal opinion, but on a site like this- for weight loss and to get in shape, we should be here encouraging each other, not tearing eachother down. I know, we all don't live in a perfect world, but your statement was ignorant based on the fact that until you are in someone's shoes, you shouldn't judge. I have been overweight my entire life, and like many people have lost and gained time and again. I never thought I could get pregnant due to fertility issues I assumed were based on my weight. 2 years ago, very unexpectedly, I was blessed to find out I was pregnant and I had a very healthy baby boy last year. I worry of his future with his health and do not want him to be overweight. I feel genetically we have a 50/50 shot as his dad is thin as is his family, while I am overweight and I come from a long line of heavy people. I plan on feeding him healthy choices and I too hope to improve my habits in the process. Believe it or not, fat people have feelings too and we are not bad parents just because we might not look like you do. Think about it, you offended me, and I am sure, many others out here.
  • missceevee1972
    Options
    Meant to tag this in reply to the earlier comment about being irresponsible having kids when I am overweight.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Mine are both healthy and fit. What will keep them that way is what i am doing now.

I don't know if you read the article or not, but the fact that your children are currently fit is not the point. The study was on the genes of the children. Specifically on the difference in the genetics of siblings born to the same parent but one (or more) born when the mother was obese and the other(s) born after she lost weight.

I'm going to have weightloss surgery so I can change my genes too. If I have eye surgery too then will my children not have genetic eye problems?
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,534 Member
    Options
    While an overweight mother doesn't necessarily or automatically mean her child will be overweight later in life, this article is just one more reason I want to be at a healthy weight before I even think about getting pregnant. I also want to be certain I have learned positive and healthy habits so the environmental aspect is covered as well!
  • GINAvsGINA
    GINAvsGINA Posts: 270 Member
    Options

^^^^^^This..... My oldest is 16 and she is very healthy and fit. Even before I even thought about losing weight I was teaching her healthy habits. My baby girl is 3 and she works out with me all the time may it be walking or strength training. She has her own set of 2lb and 3lb dumb bells. LOL You can end the cycle of obesity by teaching your children the right ways to take care of themselves.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Have you seen Honey Boo Boo? ... Nuff said...

Yeah but those kids are overweight because the mother is always feeding her kids spaghetti with butter and ketchup. Thats not really the healthiest.
    As the descendant of a chef who was born in Italy and immigrated to the US, I find the idea of pasta with ketchup a personal slight. This is a death penalty case! :-)
  • shae68143
    shae68143 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    My mother was super skinny with both of my sisters (one is now overweight, the other anorexic (but if she ate she'd be overweight too)) - and they grew up for the most part chunky, and mom was moderately sized with me and I am obese and have always been a heavy child. It is not just genetics, however yes they can play a part.

I believe that lifestyle can trump and even activate certain genes, but your lifestyle and personal food choices are more responsible for how you end up than anything. It's a choice every time you put that food in your mouth (or your childrens' mouths). You know if it's not healthy or good for you before it even makes it to your plate, let alone your mouth. If you feed your children bad things, they will get heavy, fat, obese etc. If you don't and teach them healthy choices, guess what, they will most likely thank you for that when in adult hood they are healthy (regardless of size) and making great choices.

And to Kelseyhere - I hope you haven't reproduced and if you have I pity your daughter. Heaven forbid she ever becomes overweight, you'll never have grandchildren with the ugly mentality you displayed here today.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Oh, and also, I was 110 pounds when I got pregnant. I was 102 pounds into my sixth month due to extreme morning sickness and a high metabolism. I delivered at 155 pounds and was 120 within four months.

My daughter has been struggling with her weight since she was about 10 years old.
  • vtmoon
    vtmoon Posts: 3,436 Member
    Options

The awesome things we say when we are young :-)