Dr. told me to drop down to 750 calories

Options

Replies

• karensueo
    karensueo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe PCOS puts a person at higher risk for diabetes but I know someone that has PCOS and her glucose levels are not in the diabetic range. It has more to do with hormones and cysts on the ovaries.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I would definitely advise listening to random people on the internet over a medical professional. Everyone on the internet knows that if you eat BMR you will instantly enter starvation mode and start gaining weight.
  • kmbard
    Options
    Exercise is really great for better overall health and decreasing your risk of heart disease, diabetes, stroke and cancer, but the truth is you need to burn 3500 calories a week to lose 1 pound. That is maybe what she meant about the food intake. She could have been more delicate, but it is calories in versus calories out. In addition, check the reliability of your calories burned device as they often are incorrect. Check on line.
    Good luck and keep up the exercise no matter what!
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I would definitely advise listening to random people on the internet over a medical professional. Everyone on the internet knows that if you eat BMR you will instantly enter starvation mode and start gaining weight.

BRAVO. I said something very similar to this, yet the quacks still come.

I'll repeat, how many of you have done scientific research on the subject? Or are you all just quoting something you heard from the internet?

The majority are saying: SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR.

Not: I'm a doctor so listen to my advice over your doctor.

Please to be reading what people are saying before forming silly attacks on something that people aren't actually saying.
  • dreamchaser12
    dreamchaser12 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and was diagnosed by an endocronologist after repeatedly going to my family doctor with complaints about my weight, and the fact that regardless of what I was or wasn't doing it just wouldn't come off! At the same time I was having trouble conceiving and dealing with very irregular cycles. Like many others have suggested, I too recommend you see an endocronologist. Good luck to you!!
  • citygirl04
    citygirl04 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    Doctor's a quack.
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    Honestly, I dont think you should listen to the doctor. See a nutritionist, he or she will be way more qualified.
  • FluroFaye
    Options
    Anything under 800 is a starvation diet...generally anyone with any knowledge of dieting or health knows this. Long-term diets of this kind is not recommended.
    Have you tried johnson up day down day? It's brilliant. I suggest checking it out as it might be the answer but if you are pregnant (not sure if you are or were) then you should be careful.
  • ash8184
    ash8184 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Get your BMR checked by a nutritionist or dietician. I did MedGem and got my BMR which is VERY low. My dietician told me to stick to 1200 calories/day AND exercise (ie don't eat back calories), but then again, I have a lap band and have severe hypothyroidism, so maybe I'm different. But definitely get a 2nd opinion!
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Oh my, do not ever go to that Doctor again. Honestly, she couldn't be any more incorrect. Food and Exercise play an EQUAL part in weight loss. One doesn't trump the other. Eat Well, Exercise. That simple.

Do not drop to 750 cal. That is way, way to low! Your body will go into starvation mode, and start storing fat, which will result in no weight loss or even weight gain for you. I would even say that your 1,200 was a tad low, but if it was working for you and you weren't feeling deprived than that's what works for you.

Keep your current calorie intake and get a new doctor!
  • lgreen37
    lgreen37 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    She was PMSing! In other words - She trippin! LOL!!! Stick to what you are doing you lost over 20lbs thus far. Keep going! Don't let Dr. Jekell deter you :)
  • gwenmf
    gwenmf Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's time to drop the doctor! Get a new one!

AGREED~!!
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    She is not a nutritionist the fore should not be giving you advice about your eating... go see a dietitian or nutritionist.. 750 calories per day is not enough food for you to survive on.
  • bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    ....wow :huh:
  • MVElf
    MVElf Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I think your Doctor needs to take a refresher course in nutrition. I, too, am 5 feet tall; I am also in my 70's and am doing fine on the 1200 calorie diet. My blood sugar is excellent, no problems there. And, a good thing is my cholesterol has dropped and I definitely have more energy. I also think your doctor should have a consultation with a qualified trainer.....and a refresher in medical school courses. Just don't think it is sound advice. A second opinion (if the budget would allow it) would be my first thought.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    why would you listen to dr who has 4 years med sch, residency, and yrs of practice. i would rather go on the internet, go on a site with people with weight issues and listen to the them. just my opinion.
  • ohnoetry
    ohnoetry Posts: 129
    Options
    Seriously, this is why I hate doctors!

Find a new one, this person is CRAZY.
  • senami632
    senami632 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You might need to listen to your doctor. I thought I knew better than my doctor when she told me to reduce my caloric intake significantly and I refused to listen to her advice. Trust that I did not lose any weight even though I ate right and worked out like crazy. Ever since I took medical advice, the weight has come off easily.
    I have PCOS, hypothyroidism and insulin resistance...so I know this first hand. Our bodies do not work the same way as other 'normal' people so using your BMR to calculate how many calories you should be consuming might not be much of a help.
    I would get a second and even a third opinion from other doctors just to check and see you're on the right path, and then take it from there.
    Good luck! xx
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    why would you listen to dr who has 4 years med sch, residency, and yrs of practice. i would rather go on the internet, go on a site with people with weight issues and listen to the them. just my opinion.

Because common sense would dictate that there are much better options that should be explored before resulting to such drastic measures. And that one doctor's opinion may not be the be-all, end-all authority on the matter. Getting a 2nd opinion is never a bad thing.
  • djtulppo
    djtulppo Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I way what a TERRIBLE doctor. You need to find a new one.

My doctor is the one that got me on myfitnesspal. She suggested setting a goal of a lb. a week. I did that and it was so easy. I went back to her today on another issue. First thing she said when she walked in the room is my my congrats on the 10 lb. weight loss. I started this on Sept. 13.

She said she gained 3 lbs. She also said its time for herself to find a winter exercise activity.

Good Luck