Dr. told me to drop down to 750 calories

Options

Replies

• triciah2005
    triciah2005 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Insanity! I calculated your (rough) basal metabolic rate, which tells you how many calories you burn a day without exercising and even if you are sedentary, yours is roughly 1600 calories a day....that means that anything you eat under 1600 calories is being burned. So if you eat 1100 calories a day, you would have a deficit of 500 calories, and that would be 1 pound a week.

Like I said, this is a rough number, but it was meant show you, that scientifically, based on FACTS, 750 calories is absolutely absurd and would be hugely detrimental to your health! Please don't eat that little of calories.

And while food might be the biggest factor in losing weight, exercise is important for many reasons, and will accelerate your weight loss! Stick to it and it will happen for you. Never go see that crazy person again!!!
  • iAMsmiling
    iAMsmiling Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    q-is-for-quack_coloring_page_jpg_468x609_q85.jpg
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion.

When I was obese my doctor used to tell me I didn't need to lose weight. *rolls eyes*

General practitioners are NOT health and fitness experts.
  • Rubyayn
    Rubyayn Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    i had 750 cals for breakfast... i'm not even kidding.

i don't think that's healthy.

IMO you should get advice from a NUTRITIONIST/DIETITIAN...not your doctor.

This. I would also begin to question her knowledge in other areas, especially if she is using her position to spread innacurate and unhealthy information. I fired my primary care doc last year for something similar. She was handing out her personal opinion disguised as professional medical advice. NOT cool and very, very scary for other patients not able or willing to do the proper research. I would not only find a new doc, but write a letter to this one and provide peer reviewed research. She is likely damaging other people as well.
  • Chewster001
    Chewster001 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Well, let's assume that your doctor took physiology, biochemistry, pathophysiology years before graduating from med school. Then your doctor learned how to treat patients with a great many diseases. Then lets assume that your doctor knows you better than anyone in these forums. I'll even assume that your doctor did a thorough history and physical on you before evaluating your issues and giving you advice.
    Now let's also assume that a person who stands 2 feet tall needs less calories than a person who stands 6 feet tall.
    You are neither 2 feet tall nor 6 feet tall. That's about all I can say about you given the little information I have from this thread.

I see a lot of people who are vehemently against a diet below 1200 calories but I think not everyone fits into this box. Sure, for some people, such a low calorie allowance might kill them. But here's the thing... You have a doctor. If you lose too much weight, not only will everyone around you tell you, she'll also tell you if they don't. As long as she's following your course, and checking your electrolytes and albumin, I say give it a try.

All that said, that's a lot of assumptions. I hate doctors because most DON'T start with a complete history and physical... so... ya - she might be a quack.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I have seen a DR give my 325 pounds, 6' tall male friend to eat 1200 calories a day.

Yep so I would go to a nutritionist if you want to have nutrition advices
  • fitmama419
    Options
    Well, let's assume that your doctor took physiology, biochemistry, pathophysiology years before graduating from med school. Then your doctor learned how to treat patients with a great many diseases. Then lets assume that your doctor knows you better than anyone in these forums. I'll even assume that your doctor did a thorough history and physical on you before evaluating your issues and giving you advice.
    Now let's also assume that a person who stands 2 feet tall needs less calories than a person who stands 6 feet tall.
    You are neither 2 feet tall nor 6 feet tall. That's about all I can say about you given the little information I have from this thread.

I see a lot of people who are vehemently against a diet below 1200 calories but I think not everyone fits into this box. Sure, for some people, such a low calorie allowance might kill them. But here's the thing... You have a doctor. If you lose too much weight, not only will everyone around you tell you, she'll also tell you if they don't. As long as she's following your course, and checking your electrolytes and albumin, I say give it a try.

So because her doctor is the one with the M.D behind her name the OP is just supposed to follow her advice blindly?

This advice wasn't asked for, period. It's also a FACT that doctors get MAYBE one course in nutrition during their education.
  • cnelson1974
    cnelson1974 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Get a second opinion from a nutritionist. That diet sounds like starvation mode. No exercise? Wow, I've never heard that.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Few doctors are trained in weight loss.

Gastric bypass patients are heavily supervised by nutritionists and do that for a very limited amount of time. My sister did it in a supervised study last year too. It worked great. She gained it all back. Those are typical results.

She's wrong about calories burned.

She is right though about weight loss being about food and not exercise. But exercise keeps you healthy, happy, and makes you look great.

---

Are you losing weight with MFP? If so, keep it up.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Wow - 750 calories, really? I think I'll try it!

No, not really. I've been on 480 calories per day before, and it worked, until I returned to normal eating. Thing is, you don't want to just take off the extra weight (I assume), you want to end up with a life-style that supports your weight loss long term. I can pretty much guarantee you that as soon as you abandon 750 calories per day, all the pounds you lost will come right back and bring extra pounds with them.
  • cutchro
    cutchro Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    2nd opinion Please!!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Fire your doctor and go see a nutritionist
  • Linbo93
    Linbo93 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Because it can't be said enough, GET A NEW DOCTOR.

I would also be considering reporting her. That is downright dangerous advice.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Dump the Doc, she clearly has no idea what she is talking about
  • luvgreen25
    Options
    I'd look into getting a new doctor.
  • Sujit8383
    Sujit8383 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    ur doc is a quack seriously...........change ur doc n u will be fine........:wink::laugh:
  • gzus7freek
    gzus7freek Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    OMG....That doctor is an idiot!! You need a second opinion!
    You need a new doctor for real!
    That will do more damage then good to eat that little calories!
  • determined2lose89
    determined2lose89 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Your Doctor sounds like an absolute moron.
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    trending 98-105 which is quite over

In what world is this not a highly controlled number? Your doc needs to explain themselves to you and probably a medial board for malpractice.

EDIT lol I didnt even look at any replies. We are all on the same page. I would definately report the doc. What is your A1C?
  • sunshinesquared
    sunshinesquared Posts: 2,733 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a good time to fire your doctor...and find a new one!