Dr. told me to drop down to 750 calories

Options

Replies

• squeezetheday
    squeezetheday Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If your doctor is so ignorant about this topic, she's probably lacking knowledge in other areas as well. I'd change the doctor if I were you.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Three letters and a little punctuation: WTF?

I'd get a new doctor because she appears to be smoking crack.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    Doctors are not nutrition experts. Certainly some may be more versed in nutrition and weight loss than others but it doesn't appear that yours is one of them. Just because you CAN subsist on 750 cals a day doesn't mean you should, and the reasons not to are many. I went in to see my internist last week to seek nutrition and fat loss advice. His response: "This is not my area of expertise. I can tell you that you are within a healthy BMI but that isn't answering your questions and will just make you frustrated." He's sending me back to my GI doc (just to make sure the 'mechanics' are working as they should) and to a Registered Dietician to discuss my concerns.

Whether you continue to see your current doc for other medical matters is up to you, but I would suggest you not take their advice where weight loss is concerned. Sounds like you'd benefit more from seeing an RD or endocrinologist. Best of luck to you. I hope you find the answers you're looking for.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need another doctor. Just because they have MD behind their name doesn't mean that they are smart.
  • FitForLife81
    FitForLife81 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Yup get a new Doctor!!! In MY opinion doctors know how to prescribe medicine not get to the core of the problem, for this reason we see naturopaths, osteopaths, and chiropractors!
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I did not ask for weightloss advice from the doctor. I went in because my morning blood sugars were trending 98-105 which is quite over where I normally have them.

Did your consultation go something like this:

1o9OH.gif

To give your Doc the benefit of the doubt it is far easier to control weight / diabetes through diet than exercise. However, to say exercise is useless is beyond stupid. In addition, yes dropping to 750 calories will prompt weight loss but it is in no way necessary to go that low.

Out of curiosity - does you Doc look good and is a shining specimen of health? Personally I am in much better shape than mine...
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I did not go in looking for weightloss advice. It was given freely and in abundance ;-)

It was free, huh? Well, you get what you pay for. :wink: Personally, I'd be looking for a different doctor. Why? A) She doesn't sound like she listens very well. B) Sure gastric bypass patients do fabulously...they're basically starving themselves, which is why their faces all look gaunt and their bodies look saggy after they lose the weight. They've lost as much muscle mass as they have fat. C) It doesn't sound like she knows jack crap about fitness and nutrition.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I would seek a second opinion.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    One time a doctor told me that smoking really isn't too bad.
    Yeah, get a doctor who isn't an idiot.
  • Anamdalta
    Options
    Does she also own the funeral service in town? cause it sounds to me she is trying to kill you.

^^ This, definitely.

And, really, why stop @ 750? Surely you'd lose weight faster if you just cut out all that pesky eating. (Rolls eyes.) Your doctor is a Grade A moron, sorry to say. Glad you're smarter than to take that terrible "advice." Some people wouldn't be. Hopefully she hasn't made anyone sick because of her ignorance.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    750 calories a day is fine... if you're a Cocker Spaniel.
  • lesita75
    lesita75 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    q-is-for-quack_coloring_page_jpg_468x609_q85.jpg

^^This!!!!!
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Your doctor is... how do I put this?

An idiot.
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I think we're all on the same page here. Your doctor doesn't know what she's talking about. She's probably read some reports of some studies with a few people in them that support the things she's saying, or that was her interpretation of what she read and is generalizing way too far onto other people and situations that are too different than what she read to accurately say what she said to you. I would get a different doctor, too. I had a dermatologist tell me I was losing my hair because of the testosterone in my contraceptive. That made me wonder if she really knew what she was saying. There isn't any testosterone in any hormonal contraceptive! I would say, however, that if you are a very small person you may be the exception to the rule when it comes to that 1200 cal limit. But you will definitely not get enough nutrients for life, let alone calories, if you only take in 750 cal. If you exercise and change your workouts throughout the week, including weight training, you should be able to consume 1200 cal and at least not gain weight.
  • BBeccaJean
    BBeccaJean Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Your Doctor is CRAZY. Do yourself a favor and get another doctor who will do those blood tests for you!
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    One time a doctor told me that smoking really isn't too bad.
    Yeah, get a doctor who isn't an idiot.

^ This
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    your doctor is a moron!! find a new one!! you can not get proper nutrition on 750 calories!!
  • Katbody10
    Katbody10 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Seriously...get another opinion before you believe this idiot!
    See an ENDOCRINOLOGIST and arm yourself with info first.
    I would get a second opinion.
    I would get another doctor and if you want nutritional help with your diet see a nutritionist or even better a dietician that has a license for your area
    Your clinic should have a patient care advocate. I would speak with them about your concerns before this doctor seriously harms someone with the advice she's giving.

I could go on .. everyone is saying the same thing .. and I have to urge you to not only get a second opinion (which you should), but find a NEW DOCTOR .. period!

Your new doctor will then refer you to a nutritionist/dietician.. run tests, etc. Check with your insurance if necessary on how to go about getting a new doctor and/or second opinion.

You may be actually having a hard time losing weight because your body is burning that fat and building muscle, too! Muscle weighs more than fat! :flowerforyou: Take measurements .. maybe you're not losing weight.. but losing inches
  • Sarah1023
    Sarah1023 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I did not ask for weightloss advice from the doctor. I went in because my morning blood sugars were trending 98-105 which is quite over where I normally have them. I have the glucose meter because I've had gestational diabetes with my pregnancies and am at a higher risk for Type2. I also have many symptoms of PCOS and wanted to see if she could run some bloodwork. One, among my many symptoms is difficulty losing weight. She latched on to that and wouldn't let go.

I got told -
    > Exercise does nothing. None of her patients have ever had success losing weight by exercising. It's all about FOOD.
    > Ok, I tell her about tracking on MFP. She tells me I'm eating too much if I'm trying to stick to 1200 cals. For a little 5' tall person like me, that is double of what I should be eating. Drop down to 750 cals.
    > I bring up the BMR and how it is not advisable to go under 1200 on a regular basis. She says that's a bunch of lies. People who have gastric bypass eat 700 cals and do fabulously.
    > Says the exercise I have been doing is maybe burning a 100 calories. I have a HRM and use it to figure my calorie burn - which is about 450-550 for 60-70 min of cardio...she says the HRM is wrong. I'm burning a 100 calories during the 60 min zumba/running/elliptical whatever.

Hi, I'm Sarah and I am a Registered Dietitian with a MS degree in Nutrition. I teach PCOS patients frequently. Your doctor is wrong in a lot of aspects, but they are not nutrition experts and a TON of doctors give bad advice. I will keep this short and simple.
    1. Exercise is one of the best things you can do to burn calories and help with PCOS and weight loss.
    2. Carb control is important and consistency is important.
    3. Types of carbs is even MORE important-you want to choose high fiber, slower acting carbs
    4. Lean protein should be added along with carbs.
    5. In addition, your doctor should be looking at putting you on Metformin (a oral Diabetes agent) which will help stabilize your blood sugars in addition to diet/exercise/weight loss.

If you need any more advice, you can add me or message me. Good luck.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    Time for a new Dr.

Chick sounds like a quack. I can't believe ANY Dr would dismiss exercise.