ripe banana = diet setback?

Options
124»

Replies

• Coffeeholic8
    Coffeeholic8 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I eat 2-3 bananas a day, have done every day since I started this back in March and they have had no detrimental effect on my weight loss.
    I didn't know this about the sugar content, but I always liked my bananas more firm.... If they start to get the brown spots on the peel, well someone else gets to eat it ha ha!
    If they are getting to this stage peel them, slice them, freeze them individually in baggies then use them for smoothies later. I just did this with 6 or 7 not 20 minutes ago, and I ate the other two on the bunch.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    The ad is full of crap.

Bananas are WIN
    add PB and mouthgasm ensues.

First thing I ate this morning!
  • SusanRN2b
    SusanRN2b Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that the riper the banana, the more sugar content. :huh:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Beer and chocolate is what helped me become obese. (And and sitting around on my *kitten*!)

beer or bananas...the point is it was too many calories that made you obese, not one type of drink or food

the calories in bananas will have the same effect as the calories in beer if they are in excess of what you need

True! But it's a LOT easier to drink too much beer than to eat too many bananas. :laugh:
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana 4X a week, every week. I love all fruits and all vegetables. (well, not brussel sprouts, I hate them...):bigsmile:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    My Dad always said you never see any fat monkeys

Also I always hur hur hur at women eating them - yes im a child

This is why I like you ♥

I heard on a health podcast that they're lower glycemic before they start to turn brown.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I heard on a health podcast that they're lower glycemic before they start to turn brown.

My momma said cals in/cals out
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't get fat from eating too many bananas. Just sayin.

I lost most of my weight by eating pb&bananas ahah
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 or 3 bananas most days.....
  • crystelnicole
    Options
    You can eat bananas... until you don't go over 12 in a day ahahah
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I red something recently about ripe bananas having more nutrients, or the nutrients being more easily absorbed, or something like that, than an greener banana. I can't remember exactly because I hate bananas and didn't really care, but the gist was that riper is better with bananas.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options

My momma said cals in/cals out

Boy, don't you start with me! :tongue:
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Step 3 - Gangnam Style
    take_my_money.jpg
  • sandra152
    Options
    thanks for this post I to saw that add and stoped eating my daily Banana but having read your comments I will start eating them again even though they are high in calories
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should eliminate that banana. Usually 4-8 hours after you eat it I believe.

You're awesome.
  • victoriannsays
    victoriannsays Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    OMFG lol that ad is on the bottom of this thread....

FOOD TO NEVER EAT ----> BANANA
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I eat bananas most days, But then I have only lost 68lbs so far, so what would I know

Brilliant comment! Yeah, don't listen to anyone about "wrong" foods. If you're counting the calories in them, and you're hitting your goal, enjoy whatever you want!

^^^ I agree...

A Nutritionist did once tell me to eat them when they were all yellow or starting towards brown due to them being mostly starch when green or not fully yellow. Heh, I just eat them whenever. I like them for my "I need to eat, but am not really hungry" food. Fills me up without slowing me down :happy:

As others have pointed out, freezing them when "overripe" is good, I put them in a blender w/low fat milk and have a banana milkshake. (one banana to 8oz of milk)
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    and people thought my post about removing some of the inside bread in a bagel was bad. bananas are fine. they are a great source of potassium. enjoy them and ignore the stupid advertisements. :)
  • spark409
    Options
    bump