High Intensity Interval Training

13»

Replies

• YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    I do HIIT on the treadmill also for about 15-20mins after strength training. I normally run @ 9.5mph at an incline of 5 for a minute, then bump the incline down to 3 and walk @ 4.0 for a minute (sometimes 1.5mins,depending on how I feel). Rinse and repeat
  • happycauseIride
    happycauseIride Posts: 536 Member
    Bumping to read later when I have more time.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I love HIIT workouts. I don't do them every day, but it's great for burning calories and increasing stamina. When the weather is nice I like to do running intervals, either sprint/jog or go to the track and jog around the track/run the bleachers. I also have Turbo Fire DVDs that have some HIIT workouts. And sometimes I'll just do it with calisthenics and/or jump rope.
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    BUMP
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member

I do HIIT in the form of Sprint 8 intervals--warmup, 8 x (10-15 seconds all-out sprint, 90 seconds recovery), cooldown--once a week. I haven't seen great improvement from it, but I think the principle is sound.

10-15 seconds all out followed by 90 seconds rest is not really HIIT.

Well, Phil Campbell, M.S., M.A., ACSM-CPT, FACHE, the guy who wrote the book, thinks it is. I'm not an expert like you, though, so I can't say if he's right or not.

Phil Campbell's program, Elite 8, or Peak 8 as Mercola calls it, is 3 minute warm up then 8 intervals all out for 30 seconds and rest for 90 seconds. There are no intervals as short as 10 or 15 seconds.
  • skullik
    skullik Posts: 142 Member
    Bump!
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    It's great for conditioning but be careful when you're going hard not to injure yourself! You have to be more aware of your footing & balance. I've injured myself a couple of times.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Nick mentioned earlier about not agreeing with the fasting aspect of the article that started this post. Anybody have any experience/feedback on the fasting part?

I usually lift on an empty stomach, but mostly because I had a few bad experiences of almost throwing up if I ate pre-workout.

Any thoughts?

I just believe that you need some sort of fuel for your workouts, not saying over eat but something certainly helps. Its my belief that if you starve yourself(fast) when you do finally eat, your body clings to whatever it can. And that to me is not a good plan.

That's all it is...your belief. The evidence is piling up against you. And what makes more sense from an evolutionary perspective..animals have to exert energy to GET the food to eat...they are exercising on an empty stomach. (And...yes, we are animals.)
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Hiit conditions like a Mo --- have fun!!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Nick mentioned earlier about not agreeing with the fasting aspect of the article that started this post. Anybody have any experience/feedback on the fasting part?

I usually lift on an empty stomach, but mostly because I had a few bad experiences of almost throwing up if I ate pre-workout.

Any thoughts?

I just believe that you need some sort of fuel for your workouts, not saying over eat but something certainly helps. Its my belief that if you starve yourself(fast) when you do finally eat, your body clings to whatever it can. And that to me is not a good plan.

That's all it is...your belief. The evidence is piling up against you. And what makes more sense from an evolutionary perspective..animals have to exert energy to GET the food to eat...they are exercising on an empty stomach. (And...yes, we are animals.)

If you are suggesting fasted training is beneficial, please cite the evidence you are basing your rationale upon. According to an article based upon research, Lyle McDonald concludes that fed training is slightly more beneficial and muscle sparing than fasted training. Martin Berkaham addresses this by ingesting BCAAs during training when training in a fasted state. What data in the was of studies do you have that shows fasted training and being superior?
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    HIIT is what gets u shredded... and that goes for any anaerobic activity including weight lifting.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    I do HIIT training in Turbofire and love it. It's definitely VERY challenging & you're about dead after 15-20 minutes.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Bump