Does it bother you...

Options

Replies

• Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people, and I have to say the difference is all in the KINDS of foods you fit into your 1200 cals. I have days where I'm "bad" and fill my 1200 cals with things like sandwiches and unhealthy snacks. That doesn't go far and I am usually starving on those days and have to work out so I can eat more.

However, 1200 cals of veggies, fruits, wholegrains and lean meats is a whooollleee different story!
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Makes me crazy! I struggle to stay under 1500!
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Makes me crazy! I struggle to stay under 1500!

Every one is different. If you can eat 1500 or over and still lose weight, then maybe that's the amount that your body needs :)
  • chelle_fri
    chelle_fri Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    It doesn't bother me. Sometimes I am that person. I just can't take high volume meals anymore. It makes me feel awful. Sometimes I don't even hit 1000 calories because all I did was lounge around the house. But then I have days where I eat close to 3000 calories because I'm nibbling all day and super active. I think the best you can do is understand that you can't make anyone do anything they don't want to do and don't take what they say personal :smile:
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I used to be that person I remember being on a 1000 calorie diet and eating a few crackers and cottage cheese and saying to my friend that I was stuffed she looked at me and said don't lie you can't possibly be and I argued the point with her. I was still starving but trying to convince myself I was full. Now I eat 1800 most days and I am much happier, I always eat back my exercise calories and feel much healthier. Currently on a plateau but very close to target it will break soon.
  • gjulie
    gjulie Posts: 391
    Options
    I dont mind what people do its up to the individual,I couldnt live on 1200 cals a day Im just about comfortable on 1500 Ive lost 2 stone since April this year and its slow going but it isint a race Im fit and healthy and thats what really matters!
    ...when people who eat 1200 calories or less brag about how they are "stuffed" eating that amount and "couldn't possibly eat anymore"? Depending on the situation and who you're talking to, the implication is generally that people who eat above 1200 are lazier and have less willpower. I understand wanting to be able to choose your own path to weight loss without being jumped on, but dissing people who are trying to help you isn't the way to do it. :/
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm kind of a live and let live type, so as a general rule nothing people do or say that doesn't directly impact my personal happiness does not bother me. Maybe they really are stuffed. Maybe they aren't. I don't give a *kitten* either way. More pizza left for me. Does it bother me when they think I'm a glutton for eating all the pizza. Still no care.

BURRRRRP

:bigsmile: :laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    ...when people who eat 1200 calories or less brag about how they are "stuffed" eating that amount and "couldn't possibly eat anymore"? Depending on the situation and who you're talking to, the implication is generally that people who eat above 1200 are lazier and have less willpower. I understand wanting to be able to choose your own path to weight loss without being jumped on, but dissing people who are trying to help you isn't the way to do it. :/
    No offense meant, but I don't consider it an insult. Sometimes I am starved and I eat 2000+ calories, some days I am normal and eat 1400-1600, but some days I am just not hungry and I barely can reach 1000 calories, so I think it is possible for some people to just not want to eat a lot.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    I don't think people who eat more calories than I do are lazy or anything negative. They can handle more calories than I can and that's okay with me.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    That only goes but so far, though. I'm eating at a deficit, and my stomach does gradually adjust to that over time so that I'm not hungry all day. But if you're eating 800 calories a day for example, you can't possibly be getting full off that amount of food. I honestly don't understand how anyone can say that with a straight face.

I try to eat at about 1200 calories a day. Some days it is more and some days less. I can stuff myself on mixed vegetables, fruit and tea. It only gives a certain amount of satisfaction and I am definately hungry between meals.
    These people may be refering to stuffing themselves with one 800 calorie meal a day. They would be hungry the rest of the day but would be stuffed when they eat the one meal.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Why should other people's eating habits bother me? I don't care what they do - it's no reflection on me, personally. I believe what they are saying - over time, your body gets used to eating less and your stomach actually shrinks. I don't think it's a good thing to consume too few calories, and I kind of feel sympathy for them, because then you kind of have to force yourself to eat in order to get all the nutrition you need. But does it make me mad or feel guilty or ashamed or annoyed or whatever because I'm still hungry on 1200 calories? Why should it?

Some people might freak out to know that it it's often a struggle for me to hit my maintenance of 1680 calories. That feels like a lot to me because that's what my body is used to eating. The thought of eating 2000 plus cals. makes me a little queasy (unless I've had a long run day, and then I'm all over it!) I should hope that my eating habits don't offend anyone, but if they do - it's really not my problem...:drinker:
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    Honestly it doesnt bother me. If i eat a breakfast of two hard boiled eggs it keeps me from being hungry all day long. I try to eat proteinfirst as it satiisfies me the best. It isnt as much hard to eat the calories as it is I need to be mindful or i will come home late from work and be about 300 calories short of 1200 and just dont feel like eating... But I do
  • Sabrina__26
    Options
    What I don't get is the ones who claim they cant possibly eat 1200 calories a day...its just too much food. How the heck did they get overweight then!? They must have been eating SOMEthing...I just don't get that one at all.

You haven't taken in the fact that healthy meals tend to be much less in calories than high fat, sugary foods. I used to live on a diet of burgers and bread plus lots of sugary cakes and chocolates. I would often have nothing until 6/7pm in the evening when I'd eat a meal of burger and chips, with fizzy drink plus some junk food, which all added to around 2000+ calories! My main meals now tend to be around 300-400 calories which is just a little more than one snickers bar and less than a slice of cheesecake.

I use very little oil in my meals, don't have dressings on my salads, if I have toast, I have it dry without margarine and avoid any sauces etc in my meals. This means that my meals are generally quite low in calories and I often don't hit my target. I try to eat 3 meals per day and 2 snacks, I don't think I'm starving at all.
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    That only goes but so far, though. I'm eating at a deficit, and my stomach does gradually adjust to that over time so that I'm not hungry all day. But if you're eating 800 calories a day for example, you can't possibly be getting full off that amount of food. I honestly don't understand how anyone can say that with a straight face.

Maybe they are eating a lot of high fiber foods? Those are very filling and keep you feeling fuller longer than if you eat junk. On days where I eat a lot of high fiber foods I'm full before I hit the 1200 calorie mark as well. Higher fiber foods are lower in calories so you get more bang for your buck so to speak. A big 3 cup salad with a low calorie salad dressing is fewer calories than a small burger and fries. I would rather eat the big salad. Its more filling, fewer calories and keeps me feeling fuller longer.
    1258936 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    At my heaviest, I ate probably about 3500 cals a day. Back then I would eat and eat and never feel full. I started MFP on 1500 and it was hard at first. But as I learned what foods had what calories I realized if you pick the right foods, you can eat a lot all day. I've adjusted to my favorite breakfast and lunch meals, and find them very satiisfying. I also stopped asking myself if I was "full" now I ask myself if I am hungry. Small word change, big difference

But if I were to post about how full I am these days it wouldn't be a taunt or diss to those who eat more calories, it would be a celebration that I am learning how to eat better. I don't come here to try and feel better about myself by picking on others. I come here to feel better about myself by making lifestyle changes and this helps me be accountable for my actions.

I would just look at their diary and see what it is they are eating.
  • crazybookworm
    crazybookworm Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Everyone's body is different. I only consume about 1,200 calories a day, and I am very satisfied, and yes usually stuffed! It bugs me when people do look at me and say "How can you be stuffed". I'm not lying when I say I'm not hungry or that I'm full. I eat smaller meals and eat more frequently. Everyone has their own program :)
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    No it doesn't. That is their journey and I have my own.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I only really get bothered if I have friends eating like 800 cals. Esp if they have big burns everyday. it worries me. and cruel as it sounds, i delete eventually. i can not afford to worry over strangers online when I got enough ppl around me to ache for. plus, who ever listened to the lectures of an internet bud?
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options

Nope. Very little about other people bothers me.
  • Shua89
    Shua89 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Well I do eat less than 1200 calories per day and I usually am stuffed *but that's me*. I've never been a huge eater, I've just changed what I eat.

By my saying I'm stuffed on 1200 calories does NOT imply that anyone who eats more is lazy or overdoing it. Everyone here needs to find what works for them. if I were to eat 1800 calories a day I would gain weight. It doesn't work for me - at times I wish it did but such is life.

Really, the biggest problem is trying to compare yourself to others. What works for one might be a dismal failure for another because we are all different in what we eat, how we work out, how our metabolisms react, etc...... Find what works for you and support others but stick to your own course.