Should I lose fat before weight training?

Options
Hi!

I am re-joining the gym tomorrow and am wanting to start weight lifting. I have always admired women with strong muscular bodies and want to become one!
However I am unsure whether to stick to cardio first to lose fat and then start weight training, or can I combine cardio and weight training? Will my body still come out looking the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I am a newbie when it comes to weights! :)

Replies

• wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Start weights now.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Awesome, cardio alone bores me! Will feel better doing both I think too!
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !
  • tonightokayalright
    tonightokayalright Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Do both.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Start weights now! You'll get the best results this way. Cardio and weights is the way to go.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    I'm wondering the same thing, I am in the "morbidly obese" range and was planning on waiting a few months to lose more weight before starting with weights. But I'm capable of pushing myself pretty hard despite my size, and am getting antsy to start working out hard. Just not sure if it's better to lose another 20/30 pounds first.
  • Vonwarr
    Vonwarr Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Go to the gym, lift heavy, look awesome. Weight training is arguably more important than cardio for healthy weight loss. :)

Check this out, especially the pictures - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !

This is ridiculous. Women don't have enough testosterone to look "masculine" by lifting weights. Unless you're shooting hormones, this isn't a problem.
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    do both. the idea that you should lose weight and then weight train is uninformed regarding how our body functions. Muscles burn more calories than cardio. By weight training you are building muscle and burning calories in addition to the cardio you do. It's a win win situation.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Both.
  • CTCMom2009
    CTCMom2009 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I agree with starting weights now, but also keep cardio going at the same time. I do cardio every time I go to the gym and then I alternate lower body/upper body with weight training.
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Weight train now, look hot sooner.
    I'm weight training already so that when my fat is gone I don't have to worry about "toning" a skinny fat droopy body.
  • SweetLillyM
    Options
    Definitely do both, I do! I do cardio every day and do the strength training every other day.
  • NatashaB8
    Options

Woah thats inspiring!
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Thanks everyone!

I am so excited to start now. :)
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options

Staci is my hero!

If you are unsure where to start, take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, or the fitness plans on bodybuilding.com. LIft like a man to look like a goddess :)
  • chachita7
    chachita7 Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    A great combination of both would give you faster and better results...
  • NatashaB8
    Options

Staci is my hero!

If you are unsure where to start, take a look at New Rules of Lifting for Women, Stronglifts 5x5, or the fitness plans on bodybuilding.com. LIft like a man to look like a goddess :)

I am writing these all down. Going to sit and read up on everything like this and make a plan. Thank you :)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Nope, start lifting now. :) I wish I would've done it a LONG time ago.
  • knittingwitch
    knittingwitch Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    My co-worker who is a body builder that dose competitions and modeling told me to do cardio every day to burn the fat and strengthen your heart. And to do weight training focus on one part of the body each day have a leg day, back day, arm day, and so on.