Should I lose fat before weight training?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't wait! Everyone I have seen on here that says they waited ended up regretting it! Some people would rather "lose weight," even if they lose muscle in the process. Like one poster said, "Why do twice the work?" If you are planning to begin weight training at some point, then there's no time like the present. Combining a good routine of weights and cardio promotes fat burning while maintaining muscle. Some of the well-respected male bodybuilders on MFP have also stated that beginning lifting when your are obese is actually a unique time to make huge gains in strength and even potentially gain muscle mass *while* burning fat.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Also, if I am wanting to gain muscle, how do I do this while on a calorie deficit?
    Or do I change this and eat more but workout/lift more?
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    bump
  • Angeliquecasique
    Angeliquecasique Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Doing weights help to burn fat faster :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Also, if I am wanting to gain muscle, how do I do this while on a calorie deficit?

You don't is the short answer. Gaining muscle generally requires a caloric surplus. There are a few exception. You can gain, a couple of pounds tops, of muscle mass if you are new to lifting. Called Newbie gains. Also, if you have a lot to lose, you can go to a very slight deficit, 200 or 300 calories and your body will supply the excess energy needed from fat stores. In both scenarios, adequate protein is key and the window for building muscle is fairly small. Maybe a few months?
  • NatashaB8
    Options

You don't is the short answer. Gaining muscle generally requires a caloric surplus. There are a few exception. You can gain, a couple of pounds tops, of muscle mass if you are new to lifting. Called Newbie gains. Also, if you have a lot to lose, you can go to a very slight deficit, 200 or 300 calories and your body will supply the excess energy needed from fat stores. In both scenarios, adequate protein is key and the window for building muscle is fairly small. Maybe a few months?

This is all very confusing for me haha, I hope I catch on soon!
    So once I start lifting should I start eating more calories? I only have about a stone to lose and would be doing cardio along with weights anyway.
    Hopefully I will get more answers from NROLFW too. Calories and protein still confuse me!
  • mmapags
    Options

This is all very confusing for me haha, I hope I catch on soon!
    So once I start lifting should I start eating more calories? I only have about a stone to lose and would be doing cardio along with weights anyway.
    Hopefully I will get more answers from NROLFW too. Calories and protein still confuse me!

It's all about your priorities. If adding muscle is a priority, as in causing the muscles to get bigger, then you need to eat at a surplus and you will not lose the rest of the weight while doing that.

If you want to develop and preserve the muscle you have and lose the rest to get to goal, set up to lose 1/2 pound per week, and do your strength training along with whatever cardio you like. The loss will be slow, but you don't have much to go and you will develop the muscle tissue you have quite nicely while slowly losing the last few pounds.

I hope that helps!
  • Sunflowerinbloom
    Sunflowerinbloom Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    When I first started slim in 6 I lost 50 lbs went from size 26 to a size 16 and some pants size 18 I could ware xl shirts! Then I quit and gained it all back I thought I would be a size 26 again but slim in 6 was losing weight and weights and toning it was everything in one I loved it I found muscles and curves I never knew I had so it proves weight training and cardio r best to do now the results will be better in the long run!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !

This is ridiculous. Women don't have enough testosterone to look "masculine" by lifting weights. Unless you're shooting hormones, this isn't a problem.
    THANK YOU!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

You will gain strength and firm your muscles.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yup, both! Incorporating weights into my cardio regime fairly early on saved me a lot of loose skin, I think.
  • SlimSharonSlim
    SlimSharonSlim Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    THIS IS A REPLY TO - MMAPAGS - This poor girl wanted advice about going to the GYM!

She should work out - get rid of the weight - then hit weights.

Women should never over do it on the weights, women should always look feminine!
  • mmapags
    Options
    THIS IS A REPLY TO - MMAPAGS - This poor girl wanted advice about going to the GYM!

Women should never over do it on the weights, women should always look feminine!

Oh my goodness! This is so ridiculous that there is no response nessesary.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

That is absolute drivel.
  • monty619
    monty619 Posts: 1,308 Member
    Options

the best femenine looking sexy bodies in the world.. lift (relatively) heavy weights.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Give it up now dear - you are making yourself look silly

ETA: responses to posts that get removed make the response look like they are insulting the OP - I wish they wouldn't do that! My response was to someone calling women that lifted manly.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    OP - start lifting as soon as possible.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Whoa, there.

OP said she admires women with muscles. She (and a lot of other people) obviously think women with muscles look feminine. I'm sorry that you do not but that is your opinion.

To the OP, definitely start lifting now. It preserves muscle as you lose weight. You'll end up at a better place than you would if you wanted to lose fat first. I usually recommend StrongLifts 5x5 for newbies.
  • mmapags
    Options
    Give it up now dear - you are making yourself look silly

Ya think??
  • healthyversionofme
    healthyversionofme Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I am re-joining the gym tomorrow and am wanting to start weight lifting. I have always admired women with strong muscular bodies and want to become one!
    However I am unsure whether to stick to cardio first to lose fat and then start weight training, or can I combine cardio and weight training? Will my body still come out looking the same?

Thanks in advance for any advice, I am a newbie when it comes to weights! :)
    I will be losing fat first. I hear from this site that you should start now, but all of the weight lifting success stories i read they lost their fat THEN started training. I would love to see results from women that did it from day 1.