Should I lose fat before weight training?

Options

Replies

• NatashaB8
    Options
    Anyone out there who is doing the same thing, can you send me a friend request? Would find it motivating to watch your progress and would be good if I had a few questions.
  • samwise2
    Options
    Stronglifts 5x5 is a great system to start on, by the way. Very simple, and it'll get results without overdoing it.

Lifting weights is IMO better for improving your body and health then Cardio, even. Once you start putting on some more muscle you'll burn much more calories doing anything.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    Combine the cardio and weight training. How you look largely will be the result of diet. Be aware that fat is not converted to muscle. You lose the fat through energy expenditure (primarily through a dietary calorie deficit) and build muscle.

Also be aware that if your fat is distributed disproportionately (by current societal standards) and you are concerned about getting bigger in those areas, you might want to avoid using direct weight resistance on those body parts.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    The most important reason to start lifting now is so you don't lose the muscle mass you already have. If you go on a strict diet, and have too much deficit, your body will burn lean mass if you aren't using it. So USE IT by lifting at the gym.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !

This is ridiculous. Women don't have enough testosterone to look "masculine" by lifting weights. Unless you're shooting hormones, this isn't a problem.

Agreed! Totally ridiculous. Start lifting now. It is great for fat burning and for maintianing lean muscle mass.

Tone up??? Look masculine??? Really???
  • ripemango
    ripemango Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    FANTASTIC article, wow. Love it. Everyone read!!!

Thank you for posting this :)

Check this out, especially the pictures - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    [/quote]
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Combine the cardio and weight training. How you look largely will be the result of diet. Be aware that fat is not converted to muscle. You lose the fat through energy expenditure (primarily through a dietary calorie deficit) and build muscle.

Also be aware that if your fat is distributed disproportionately (by current societal standards) and you are concerned about getting bigger in those areas, you might want to avoid using direct weight resistance on those body parts.

My stomach seems to be the worst part of my body as it really sticks out, so I would avoid ab workouts for the time being?
  • petiteLady89
    petiteLady89 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    No, in fact you will lose more fat if you focus on strength training!
  • Cespuglio
    Cespuglio Posts: 385 Member
    Options

My stomach seems to be the worst part of my body as it really sticks out, so I would avoid ab workouts for the time being?

It takes about a month for an average beginner male to build just one pound of muscle. Half of that for females so even if your body fat is distributed a certain way, you're more likely to burn fat a lot faster than you gain muscle in the first place. Also, you can't spot train any one body part. That's a myth. The only thing you're going to accomplish by favoring one body part over another is muscular imbalance which can lead to injury.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    FANTASTIC article, wow. Love it. Everyone read!!!

Thank you for posting this :)

Check this out, especially the pictures - http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
    [/quote]

No problem! I am glad my topic is helping more than one person out then :D
  • jpvieira
    jpvieira Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I say do both, however, don't make the mistake of doing a whole bunch of cardio and then moving on to weights. Warm up for 5 - 10 minutes with cardio, then hit the weights. After doing your weight workout then do your 20 - 30 minutes of cardio. You'll burn more fat this way while saving fuel for building muscle.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Start now. You have so few pounds to lose, you'll probably end up reaching your ideal body before you reach your ideal weight!
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    No, start weight lifting right away. You can combine both cardio and weights, as long as you're in a calorie deficit you will lose weight :)

Here are my main 2 reasons why you would benefit from starting now:
    1) You will maintain more of your current muscle (losing muscle is likely going to happen anyway as you lose weight, lifting is the best way to slow this down)
    2) You will get stronger.

Your body will look different if you just did cardio, than if you did weights as well. Weights as well = more muscle, tighter (more "toned"), looking more athletic, more definition, smaller (muscle takes up less space than fat)
  • theologynerd
    theologynerd Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I wish I would have started lifting long ago. When I finally got to my goal weight, I was very disappointed with what I saw. Friends on here told me to lift, so I started lifting, just my body weight to begin with. I started lifting at 150 lbs. size 9/10 jeans, and within six weeks, I comfortably fit in size 5/6 jeans. My husband is complaining that even those are too baggy on me. And don't listen when someone says you will get too masculine. It's a common misconception, but very ill informed. There is no way you'll suddenly wake up and look like a man. Women that have bodies like that usually have taken steroids, or the ones that get really muscular bodies that appear "manly" that have done it naturally have worked their @sses off lowering their body fat and intentionally building muscle with extreme dedication and tailored diets. I have been looking into lowering my body fat and gaining muscle, and it is overwhelming. There is so much to learn. So, for someone to say that you're going to lift some weights and get too muscular, is really an insult to the women who work hard to build their muscles up.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Hi, It depends on what you want. I prefer to lose the weight then tone up. I know a lot of people who are overweight and hit the gym- they not only lose weight but gain muscle too. Don't over do the weights - you don't want to look masculine !

This is ridiculous. Women don't have enough testosterone to look "masculine" by lifting weights. Unless you're shooting hormones, this isn't a problem.

Do I look masculine to you?! I have been using weights since July last year when I started gymming again after my 2nd baby. I've had 2 personal training sessions pretty much every week since then, as well as gymming on my own, spinning, aerobics, picking up and playing with my kids etc. I still look feminine!!

I've lost nearly 50lbs since then and toned up loads, and I have kept my hourglass figure.

Go for it!
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options

Lol, no.

Strength training helps you burn fat and helps create the body shape you want. Lose weight to look good, do strength training to look good naked :wink:

Also, it's next to impossible for women to "bulk up" enough to look masculine. Any woman with more muscles than normal probably either 1. Dedicated herself to strength training and body building - doing way more exercise/work than the average person. 2. Took supplements/steriods to achieve that look.
    Women can't naturally get bulky. I'd love to hear your definition of "overdoing it" though - I'm guessing you'd think the 130lbs I put on the squat rack this morning was too much! :laugh: And I'm not lifting heavy by a lot of standards.

OP - start lifting yesterday.
  • klbaierwalter
    klbaierwalter Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    It is physically impossible for a woman to look like a man in that respect, simply because men carry much more testosterone than women. In terms of muscles, men and women have the exact same muscles that we use for lifting, but the simple fact is that genetically we cannot get as big as men. If you are looking to tone up, my advice to you is to lift heavy and do less reps and always try to confuse the muscles. I highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting For Women." I am following that plan and I absolutely LOVE it! I am seeing a decrease in fat and my muscles are toning up.
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    Thanks again for all the posts and info!

I am hoping the gym staff are more helpful than they used to be and are able to get me started on strength training and show me how to use the equipment. If not I am sure I can find out for myself.

I am stronger than what I used to be but want to be a LOT stronger. :)
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    It is physically impossible for a woman to look like a man in that respect, simply because men carry much more testosterone than women. In terms of muscles, men and women have the exact same muscles that we use for lifting, but the simple fact is that genetically we cannot get as big as men. If you are looking to tone up, my advice to you is to lift heavy and do less reps and always try to confuse the muscles. I highly recommend the book "The New Rules of Lifting For Women." I am following that plan and I absolutely LOVE it! I am seeing a decrease in fat and my muscles are toning up.

I am looking at that book right now on Amazon and think I will buy it, I have heard many good things about it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

i beg to differ. i've been lifting heavy weights and deadlifting weights that are heavier than me has left me manly looking and with a penis.

seriously though OP start now. it makes no sense to do double the work. the other reason to start weightlifting NOW is that you will preserve as much lean body mass as you can while you are losing weight.

the main reason why people have to "tone up" after they lose weight is because so much of the weight they lost was muscle mass so now they have to replace it. doesn't it make more sense to just weight lift as soon a possible to make sure you're mainly losing fat instead of losing a crap load of fat and muscle and then having to go back and replace the muscle?

please ignore the people who say you will look masculine these are people who have not paid attention in the biology 101 classes and therefore cant be trusted to bring anything worthwhile to a fact based human biology discussion.